• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • uneven

Front and Center
    Dec 21, 2012
    From http://thehill.com/homenews/house/274381-house-dem-pushes-gun-reforms-backed-by-nra-members-

House Democrat pushes gun reforms backed by NRA members

"A House Democrat is pushing a package of gun reforms that a recent poll indicates are popular among members of the National Rifle Association (NRA).

Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) said the legislation — which comes as a response to last week's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. — will highlight what he calls a disconnect between NRA members and the group's leaders, who are in near-blanket opposition to tougher gun laws."

Further along, the article frames Morans latest proposals as something everyone wants by citing a few stats.

"• 74 percent of NRA members support criminal background checks on all potential gun buyers — as opposed to current law, which requires background checks only on those who buy from licensed gun dealers;

• 79 percent of NRA members back requiring gun retailers to perform background checks on all employees;

• 71 percent of NRA members would bar those on the FBI's terrorist watch-list from buying and owning guns;

• 64 percent of NRA members support requiring gun owners to report lost or stolen firearms."

71 percent of NRA members support restricting gun rights for people the FBI are simply watching?

Maybe they should do some research. From a NY Times report in May of 2009:

"WASHINGTON — The Federal Bureau of Investigation has incorrectly kept nearly 24,000 people on a terrorist watch list on the basis of outdated or sometimes irrelevant information, while missing people with genuine ties to terrorism who should have been on the list, according to a Justice Department report released Wednesday""

Literally tens of thousands of civilians could have their 2nd amendment rights frozen by simply being added to a list, virtually all instances happen without their knowledge and over 20 thousand of which may be illegitimately added to the list to begin with? Looks like another attempt to scare people into supporting radical changes. "Hey everyone, we need to keep guns away from TERRORISTS." :mad54:

uneven

Front and Center
    Dec 21, 2012
    The "good thing" here would be no AWB and magazine restriction......

Exactly. First rally everyone around the fundamental restrictions before rolling out the bigger ones.

"You don't want terrorists to buy guns right?"

leads to

"Only terrorists would use THAT kind of gun, right?"

leads to

"Only criminals need pistols." etc

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    Stats tell the story they want them too. Just adjust the CI, and one can twist them any way you want.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    It doesn't appear that any of the proposed legislation would have prevented the shooting at Sandy Hook...the "impetus" for the restrictions. :sad20:

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It doesn't appear that any of the proposed legislation would have prevented the shooting at Sandy Hook...the "impetus" for the restrictions. :sad20:

There is NO legislation that could have prevented the slaughter at Sandy Hook. None. Never has been, never will be. Not now, not ever. People need to understand that. That lunatic probably could have done the same thing with 2 samurai swords.

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    There is NO legislation that could have prevented the slaughter at Sandy Hook. None. Never has been, never will be. Not now, not ever. People need to understand that. That lunatic probably could have done the same thing with 2 samurai swords.

Agree.

In fact there have been 2 mass murders of school children in China recently in which knives and axes were used (and not a peep out of our lamestream media on this).,,,point being an evil, demented person will find a way, regardless.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    But, but Obama told me that if they where no guns then we'd alls be safe. That they was no killing or wars befo guns.

mdoffroad

Looking to Learn
    Aug 26, 2011
    Abingdon, MD
    1• Criminal background checks on all potential gun buyers — as opposed to current law, which requires background checks only on those who buy from licensed gun dealers;

2• Requiring gun retailers to perform background checks on all employees;

3• Bar those on the FBI's terrorist watch-list from buying and owning guns;

4• Requiring gun owners to report lost or stolen firearms.

1. I think MD actually has it down fine currently. I actually DO support background checks like we use for MSP for pistols and some rifles. I do NOT think shotguns etc should be required for that. Sorry, I just dont. So this, isn't hatefull so far.

2. This should be a damn no brainer. If you are permitted to carry a firearm as part of your job or work WITH firearms or ammo, you should need ot pass a background check. Im not advocating polygraphs and what not, just make sure your not a damn bankrobber etc!

3. THIS part is crap. There are too many people on all KINDS of lists that shouldnt be, see the no fly list as an an example... KILL THIS PART of the proposal.

4. This should be mandatory for REGULATED firearms. If you had to fill out paperwork to GET IT, you should fill it out if ya lost it or had it stolen. Otherwise its inviting abuse. Yes I joke about a lot of things but, missing firearms aren't one of them.

I''ll add a point that I think is a bonus for all. When we get shall issue, REQUIRE a proficceincy test of the firearm you want to carry. anything you want to carry, needs to be tested on within say, 30 days of you buying it if you plan to carry it. This will weed out the cowboys who can't hit a target at 10 feet and are more a dnager than anythign else. We do it with cars, why not?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The stats are fraudulent, IMO. I've never been asked or heard of those questions being asked and I'm a long-time life member. Nobody intelligent supports barring people on watch lists from buying guns since it's obvious that those lists can be used as potent weapons against political opposition.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    With the articles I've been posting and reading on the net these days, I sort of wonder if I haven't made some NSA watch list. ;-)

hacktracker

Apr 10, 2012
    Lower-Slower
    It looks like a stair-step approach to the final goal. Slowly eat away at 2A rights until the only option is a single-shot break-open 410 shotgun.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    With the articles I've been posting and reading on the net these days, I sort of wonder if I haven't made some NSA watch list. ;-)

Welcome to the watchlists. I am sure I have made a few myself. The Domestic Enemies think that upholding and defending the Constitution is a terrorist act to them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    To be honest, I'm not an NRA member and have no particular problem with three of the four concepts, especially if we could use it to head off an AWB at the federal and state levels. It is positively embarrassing that we don't do a better job of tracking stolen firearms.

However, I am not a big fan of the "terrorist watchlist" being used as a gun-ownership blacklist, at least not without some real reforms happening to that list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom