• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BunkerKing

5.56 ammo horder. . .
    Jun 5, 2012
    Land of the O's
    im sure its been covered but i cant find the post. i have an AR build without a barrel, i was thinking of going the .300blk route. i know its an excellent short to midrange round. but whats the effective range with a 16" barrel and decent ammo? i have a few AR's now chambered in 5.56/.223, so im just looking for something different without changing everything around. thanks in advance.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    It CAN get out past 400 yards easily. But for effective use, I'd keep the supersonic rounds within the 440M mark, and subs within 200 to 250M mark.

Running my handloads at DelMarva, getting hits at the 300 line wasn't hard to do, there's some drop to account for (the wind that day was more of a factor than the distance), but with a full 16" barrel and even medium level handloads - it's rather easy to do.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    I've taken subsonic out to 280+ yards (about a 30 moa holdover). Which is about the bleeding edge of this rounds effective range IMO. Even slight velocity variation in the loads translates into massive vertical stringing at that distance.

With supersonic, there is at least one YouTube video of a guy (Travis Haley, I think) ringing steel with ease at 800 yards. Supersonic, this round essentially matches 7.62x39.

ksy95

Mar 11, 2013
    According to AAC, supersonic .300 BLK rounds are easily effective out to 400 yards.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I've taken subsonic out to 280+ yards (about a 30 moa holdover). Which is about the bleeding edge of this rounds effective range IMO. Even slight velocity variation in the loads translates into massive vertical stringing at that distance.

With supersonic, there is at least one YouTube video of a guy (Travis Haley, I think) ringing steel with ease at 800 yards. Supersonic, this round essentially matches 7.62x39.

Yes. Travis Haley was ringing steel at 700+yds with a suppressed SBR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom