• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    So, we are coming out of the most recent ammo shortage. I have seen full shelves at more than one retail outlet.

Question: I am a recent arrival in the shooting sports. Is this shortage a one time thing or has it happened before? What in the past has triggered shortages? Trying to polish my crystal ball and not get caught short next time.

Mr H

Banana'd
    These "shortages" in recent years are, IMO, borne more of panic and fear, than any one big physical factor. Whether it was the 2008 election, the 2012/13 push for bans, or whatever other issues, people began hoarding.

I see now where retailers seem to have recovered and now stock a real variety (though .22LR for some reason still seems a unicorn).

Should there be any new "threat", look for it to start again.

In the meantime, shoot one box, buy 2 has always worked for me...

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Exactly what mooseman said this is not the first ammo shortage and it will not be the last. Anything from a school shooting, to a terror attack, to a ramp up in military operations could lead to an ammo shortage. My advice: stack it cheap, and stack it deep. Buy a little bit here and there, or buy all at once - whatever your finances permit.

I bought 2 cases of XM-193 two weeks before the Sandy Hook shooting for $250.00 a case delivered. The week after the shooting, cases were going for $1000.00 (when you could find them at all). I was very fortunate.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    Other that .22, I'm pretty sure the "shortage" is way over.

The ammo case at the WalMart near me is literally packed full - not an empty spot in the whole cabinet.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I see now where retailers seem to have recovered and now stock a real variety (though .22LR for some reason still seems a unicorn).
    Interestingly enough, my dad in Florida says .22 has become pretty common, and easy to find.

I still can't find any here in Virginia, and I imagine it's the same in Maryland.

FFJim

Apr 27, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    I was happy to see 22LR at a gun show last weekend. CCI SV bricks for $45. At .09 per round that is not too bad. The really surprising part was that there was still some there on Sunday.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Other that .22, I'm pretty sure the "shortage" is way over.

The ammo case at the WalMart near me is literally packed full - not an empty spot in the whole cabinet.

So what you're saying is they don't even have a SPOT for the 22? :sad20:

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    So what you're saying is they don't even have a SPOT for the 22? :sad20:

My local Walmart does not have a "spot" for anything. They fill the cabinet with what they have. You may find the same exact ammo in a couple of different spots at the same time. When they do not have enough ammo to fill the cabinet, the will put game cameras, more expensive fishing reels, knives, scopes, etc. in there to fill the space.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Bread, milk, toilet paper for snow.

Ammo for the threat of possible ammo taxes or limitations.

Artificially created hoarding shortages. Learn to reload, or stack it deep so you don't have to overpay. I hope the gougers on 22 LR get theirs.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I still think that it is a good idea to get a storage of your own in calibers that you think might not be able to do without. When the prices go up and they will then you will be glad you did.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Is this shortage a one time thing or has it happened before? What in the past has triggered shortages?

Butterfly farts.

Seriously, firearms owners will believe any rumor, started by anyone, at any time as an excuse to start hoarding.

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Butterfly farts.

Seriously, firearms owners will believe any rumor, started by anyone, at any time as an excuse to start hoarding.

Are you implying there are many tin foil hat wearers, and hoarding douche-waffles here? :D

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    My local Walmart does not have a "spot" for anything. They fill the cabinet with what they have. You may find the same exact ammo in a couple of different spots at the same time. When they do not have enough ammo to fill the cabinet, the will put game cameras, more expensive fishing reels, knives, scopes, etc. in there to fill the space.

gotcha. Most of the ones around here have a price tag in each space for each caliber, brand, etc in order. 22 is usually near the top left of the cabinet and almost always empty ::(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kdaily1127

Latest threads

Top Bottom