• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    So I'm running into a dilemma where my usual ammo storage spot is running out of room, this is probably because I keep my ammo in the boxes they were shipped in and don't open them until i need more ammo.

What are your storage methods? I'm highly considering getting some mil surp ammo cans and unpacking every box into them with some desiccant.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I keep mine in boxes, but do put them in ammo cans. There's just no getting around the simple fact that ammo is bulky.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I think it's best to keep ammo in the original boxes especially if you have different brands and if there's ever a recall you will be able to check the lot #'s and stuff like that.
    Ammo cans are good for storing and separating ammo, I keep mine inside ammo cans in their original boxes. The boxes can also come in handy if you do any reloading.

Silverlode

Ultimate Member
    Aug 16, 2010
    Frederick
    So I'm running into a dilemma where my usual ammo storage spot is running out of room, this is probably because I keep my ammo in the boxes they were shipped in and don't open them until i need more ammo.

What are your storage methods? I'm highly considering getting some mil surp ammo cans and unpacking every box into them with some desiccant.

I hope you at least open them to check that you were shipped the correct thing. It would suck to open a box years later to find out you have a case of cheap FMJ when you thought it was Gold Dots.

Know anyone in surrounding area that can store some? I have a couple of friends west and south that store some things for me. SHTF it's nice to have caches away from the cities, or so I figure.

KMK1862

Ultimate Member
    Oct 12, 2010
    York County, PA
    I hope you at least open them to check that you were shipped the correct thing. It would suck to open a box years later to find out you have a case of cheap FMJ when you thought it was Gold Dots.

Very good point. I once ordered a crate of 50's Yugo 7.92x57 and even though the seal on the can wasn't open, when I examined the ammo, it had become severely corroded. This stuff looked like it was recovered from one of the boating accidents that happen to forum members from time to time. Had I waited to open the seal or use the ammo when I needed it, I would have been SOL.

I now check all ammo upon arrival and it's usually stored in ammo cans.

Uppercase

Jun 11, 2011
    I open them to the point of the manufactures 500 round box for the most part, I usually always buy in bulk.

boardboy330

Resident Secret Squirrel
    Mar 18, 2008
    I personally open it, store in ammo box with silica, and "Seal N Peel" the opening. Keeps as much air out as possible. All are stored in a dark, cool location. YMMV

mayor_quimby

4+4= Jello
    Nov 19, 2008
    Put ammo boxes in ammo cans and a cheap way to make sure moisture is low, I fold some rice into a tissue.

ravens52

Mar 8, 2011
    Millersville, MD
    I store all my ammo in ammo cans with good seals and use Tidy Cat Crystals or Wal Mart brand (make sure you use the type with 100% Silica Gel beads). I use kids sweat socks and toss in a few teaspoons of the gel and zip tie the end shut. I place it on top of the ammo before closing the lid (I usually put a small baking tin under it in case it does damp) . I replace the gel every six months or so and have yet to get one very wet. This method is much cheaper than the specific silica gel packs for storage. (I have 35-40 ammo cans). I dump the crystals, dry the socks and start over. Some claim you can microwave the silica crystals and re-use them.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Stored in fully loaded 30-round magazines. Please don't say that will wear out the spring because that is a crock of BS.

The rest is kept in ammo cans sealed with some of the silica gel stuff in there.

The stuff I worry the most about is my steel cased stuff. It can rust in a hurry.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Stored in fully loaded 30-round magazines. Please don't say that will wear out the spring because that is a crock of BS.

The rest is kept in ammo cans sealed with some of the silica gel stuff in there.

The stuff I worry the most about is my steel cased stuff. It can rust in a hurry.

Keep it sealed in the original box, don't handle it if possible, and use dessicant. I've had no troubles with this method and I have 12 year old wolf .223 that is now in my "shoot" rotation. No primer issues and no rust.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I store all my ammo in ammo cans with good seals and use Tidy Cat Crystals or Wal Mart brand (make sure you use the type with 100% Silica Gel beads). I use kids sweat socks and toss in a few teaspoons of the gel and zip tie the end shut. I place it on top of the ammo before closing the lid (I usually put a small baking tin under it in case it does damp) . I replace the gel every six months or so and have yet to get one very wet. This method is much cheaper than the specific silica gel packs for storage. (I have 35-40 ammo cans). I dump the crystals, dry the socks and start over. Some claim you can microwave the silica crystals and re-use them.

This is excellent advice, and I do the same thing (related to the cat litter). If I bought ammo cans to put my ammo in, it would be very expensive.

guthook

Grrr.
    Apr 7, 2008
    St. Mary's
    Milsurp cans. They stack nicely and most have a seal to keep nasties out.

The can costs do start adding up. You can count the hundreds of dollars in cans as an investment in ammo preservation. Treat it like cleaning supplies for your firearms.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Keep it sealed in the original box, don't handle it if possible, and use dessicant. I've had no troubles with this method and I have 12 year old wolf .223 that is now in my "shoot" rotation. No primer issues and no rust.

My friend on the other hand left a box of wolf in his basement and the moisture caused surface rust.

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    Milsurp cans. They stack nicely and most have a seal to keep nasties out.

The can costs do start adding up. You can count the hundreds of dollars in cans as an investment in ammo preservation. Treat it like cleaning supplies for your firearms.

Mine is in a block room, poured concrete foundation, with moisture/vapor barriers. I probably have about 20k of .223, .308, 9mm in ammo cans, but to put the rest in ammo cans would be a pain for me.

I'm lucky in that I've been saving ammo for 15 years. I wish I would have bought more ammo cans back in the early days though :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom