• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I invested in a case each of the MTM ammo boxes years ago to store 9mm, .45 and .38 handgun reloads. They are much easier than cardboard boxes, last longer, stack nicely and now fit into the Ammo Crates that MTM is selling. Another nice feature is the final quality check on the reloads when filing the trays as an upside-down or missing primer is hard to miss. For me it was worth the up front cost. I also have a couple of the boarder shift bags from Dillon that get the job done, but will not solve your issue of keeping the rounds from banging around together.

I like the plastic ammo boxes myself for the same reasons you cite. Additionally, when the paper ammo boxes start getting tired, there is the possibility of them spilling out their contents when the ends break off. The main two detraction to the the plastic ammo boxes, at least from my point of view, is
    (1) the cost of purchasing enough to store larger volumes of reloading, and
    (2) they are not as compact as the paper boxes, so I can fit more paper ammo boxes into an ammo can than plastic ammo boxes

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    For much of my .223, it is on stripper clips in bandoleers, in 50 call cans. 840 rounds per can. Either 4 pocket or 7 pocket bandoleers.

My plinking .223 is loose in 30 or 50 cal cans.

My match .308 is in cardboard boxes (shown above) in 50 cal cans. About 500 rounds per can. .308 plinking ammo is loose in 30 cal cans.

Long range .308 is in MTM boxes.

Pistol is loose in mainly Dillon Border Shift bags. Those I shoot less are ziplock bags.

Realize, that over time, zip lock bags will fall apart and you will have loose rounds.

TheNewGuy

Jul 17, 2015
    When I go to FreeState for my weekly practice session, I normally take a peek in the waste bin. Since it is on a range where there is no food consumption, smoking, etc., the only garbage going into the waste bin is empty ammo boxes and used targets. If I see usable ammo boxes I grab a couple for the reloads. Although it is not as space efficient as filling an metal ammo can with loose rounds, the paper ammo boxes keep things more organized and I can grab ammo in multiples of 50 very easily when packing for a range trip.

Otherwise, as alluded to above, I would probably get a 100ct. of plain ammo boxes from somewhere like midway, etc.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/21...cp-380-acp-9mm-luger-50-round-cardboard-white

I use these. Cheap and effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeffie7

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2015
    Loudoun County
    Because of this thread, I ended up buying some MTM cases, BTW amazon has them all in stock now.

14055075_1136265756445797_2377475518086125148_n.jpg

My daughter thought they were great.

14117730_1136265766445796_1319024214828987731_n.jpg

When I finally got her off of them...

14055131_1136265279779178_6189936927870322896_n.jpg

These are the shorter boxes, I was kinda bummed that the cube of 223 didn't fit, but if I had taken the time to messure, I would have figured that out. Regardless I wouldn't have gone with the bigger size, weight wise when loaded, these are good. They didn't feel flimsy when I picked them up. although they are not fully packed. There's still room for more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scooby225

Latest threads

Top Bottom