• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    I stated I wanted to take the test in the winter and still see a lot of negative response towards not making a percentage on a test. I feel I may not fit in or achieve "credibility"? with the elite group of hams even with the license. Sounds like a private club. No offense meant. Would also not enjoy legal ramifications of using a radio while rebuilding from any situation that may occur and not being able to produce the license due to loss. I still like saying Pofung though.:)

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I stated I wanted to take the test in the winter and still see a lot of negative response towards not making a percentage on a test. I feel I may not fit in or achieve "credibility"? with the elite group of hams even with the license. Sounds like a private club.

On the off chance you're not being sarcastic, I don't know where you got that idea.

If you read the FAQ, yes, you have to make at least 70% on the test to pass. No, I've never heard of anyone bad mouthing anyone else for their score on the test. In fact, if you don't want to tell anyone else your score only you and your VE team is going to know.

One thing I did hear in response to some opining once that they might not do too well on a test was, "What do you call the guy who graduated 100th out of 100 students in his medical school?"

"Doctor".

Kat

sure sure it looked fun
    Jul 5, 2012
    EdgeHood
    It's pass or fail there is no almost ...I passed my general by 1 question it doesn't matter how you passed as long as you do,it doesn't not make me any less of a amateur radio operator.

I encourage you or anyone else to get your tech and decide from there if the hobby is for you.

No elite or anything that I have seen because your either a ham or not with different privileges on the air .... want more test if your happy with your level stay put ...if you wanna learn more ...join a club and get more like minded folks and more information

Get out and get on the air

Sent from my HTC Aria

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    On the off chance you're not being sarcastic, I don't know where you got that idea.

If you read the FAQ, yes, you have to make at least 70% on the test to pass. No, I've never heard of anyone bad mouthing anyone else for their score on the test. In fact, if you don't want to tell anyone else your score only you and your VE team is going to know.

One thing I did hear in response to some opining once that they might not do too well on a test was, "What do you call the guy who graduated 100th out of 100 students in his medical school?"

"Doctor".

Testing is not all there is. One of my uncles was consistently the #1 Mr. Goodwrench Mechanic east of the Mississippi (we call him "Mr VeryGoodwrench") when they started the program, but he would be the first to tell you that there were other guys in the shop that made more money for the dealership.

tourrider

Grumpy
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 9, 2009
    Corry, PA
    I stated I wanted to take the test in the winter and still see a lot of negative response towards not making a percentage on a test. I feel I may not fit in or achieve "credibility"? with the elite group of hams even with the license. Sounds like a private club. No offense meant. Would also not enjoy legal ramifications of using a radio while rebuilding from any situation that may occur and not being able to produce the license due to loss. I still like saying Pofung though.:)

From my experience in this area, it's a great bunch of guys that welcome new faces. Testing is pass/fail. You either got your ticket, or you don't. I cannot even tell you what I scored on any of my exams. Passing was my goal. I went in just for my tech, but wound up sitting for general and extra. I got lucky. There really would be no reason to require you to produce a copy of your license. If someone wants to see it, it's a simple lookup on FCC.gov. There is a nifty wallet card.

Now with that said, there are some private clubs down on 40 meters. :)
    Like anything, there are always clowns to the left, and jokers to the right.

Amateur radio is supposed to be fun. We all do it for different reasons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    ironpony, I hope I did not give you this impression with my post. If so, I apologize, that is not at all my intent.
    I stated I wanted to take the test in the winter and still see a lot of negative response towards not making a percentage on a test.
    As K31 says, no one needs to know your test score(s) and they don't matter anyway. I don't even know my scores, just that they told me I passed the exams.

The big point is what you will learn while studying for the test.
    I feel I may not fit in or achieve "credibility"? with the elite group of hams even with the license. Sounds like a private club.
    Its not like that at all. Everyone in ham knows you need a license to participate. Everyone in ham also knows it is unlawful to talk to people who have no proper call sign identification. Everyone knows the FCC can levy fines exceeding $10,000.00 for almost anything they have a whim to do. It has absolutely nothing to do with being any sort of clique. It is self preservation.

Look at it this way, if you got a phone call from someone who refused to identify themselves and had their number blocked, but requested you send police or an ambulance right away, how would you feel about complying with their request? Would you question their credibility, or just take a chance on making a false 911 call and facing charges on their behalf? Same deal here - when using a radio requiring a license, but with no call sign, you are an unknown quantity, thus the credibility comment.
    No offense meant.
    No offense intended. My post, and the others I see, are intended to help and encourage you and anyone else interested to follow through with licensing to make the radio actually work for you when you need it, not so you have to be part of an elite club.

Like being on a range and understanding range commands is necessary for safe and efficient operation, there are radio terms and procedures in place that make operations smooth and orderly. Smooth and orderly will be especially important in an emergency.
    Would also not enjoy legal ramifications of using a radio while rebuilding from any situation that may occur and not being able to produce the license due to loss.
    You won't have to produce your license, you're not required to carry it and your spoken call sign is your personal ID that links you to your license. You should put your paper copy in a safe place. Your call sign can be looked up and verified through the FCC's website or at QRZ.Com if anyone questions it, and many hams routinely look up everyone they talk with.
    I still like saying Pofung though.:)
    You'll really like saying "Kenwood". :D

awptickes

Jun 26, 2011
    N. Of Perryville
    I have no idea what any of my test scores were on any exams or tests I've taken since I finished school. Amateur radio or otherwise, including Microsoft, CompTIA, fiscal law, and any of the acquisition school classes: None of the scores mattered, only that I passed.

If you do get your license, you'll enjoy operating your station, no matter how big or small.

JamesH

That Guy
    Oct 11, 2014
    Laurel, MD
    Hi everyone, I'm new to MDS, but I've been a ham for 10 years. I have an Extra class license, and I am a VE with the Laurel VEC. I would be more than happy to help anyone with questions regarding amateur radio.

Just a quick note about the paper license issue: first, FCC will send you a reprint if you ever want it for free; second, that piece of paper is merely a reference copy. Your actual license is the record in the FCC ULS database.

Also, if you encounter a ham with a "private club, you're not good enough" attitude, just walk away. That person may have an amateur radio license, but he's not a ham in my book. I'll refer you to the Amateur Code: http://www.arrl.org/amateur-code (It kinda reminds me of the Scout's Law from when I was in the Boy Scouts.)

Some of my areas of interest: digital modes, DXing, contesting, traffic handling, and some light public service and emergency communications.

73!

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Anyone have a cable cutter/stripper for LMR400 cable? Perhaps a crimping tool to attach a PL259 connector?

Bought a 100 ft roll and need to cut some to size.

Located in Severn near 170/174.

Please PM or use the email function.

Thanks.

John

md123

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    Hi everyone, I'm new to MDS, but I've been a ham for 10 years. I have an Extra class license, and I am a VE with the Laurel VEC. I would be more than happy to help anyone with questions regarding amateur radio.

JamesH- may take you up on that. Was thinking about the Yaesu FT-2900R 2M as a starter rig to be used in house for the most part. Thoughts on that?

What add-ons would you recommend? Gigaparts offers some at checkout...thinking antenna and software.

http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lines/2M-Radios_2/Yaesu-FT-2900R_2.html

weeman

Oct 2, 2009
    Just finished the ARRL technician book. I need to strengthen my knowledge on some areas but will be taking my test shortly. Now the fun part of trying to pick out equipment begins. There is so much out there it is very over whelming.

NormH3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 31, 2011
    Delaware
    Just finished the ARRL technician book. I need to strengthen my knowledge on some areas but will be taking my test shortly. Now the fun part of trying to pick out equipment begins. There is so much out there it is very over whelming.

Purchasing a radio depends on what you might be interested in. 2m/440 is good for keeping in touch with locals. HF is great for antenna experimentation and "working the world" if that's something you'd be interested in. Unfortunately, my station has been off the air for a while so I'm not sure what the sunspots have been doing lately.

I've always been a fan of Kenwood equipment and still own a TS-850, TS-790 and TS-60. Older equipment but good stuff in its day.

Intarsiac

Jun 17, 2008
    Southern Maryland
    JamesH- may take you up on that. Was thinking about the Yaesu FT-2900R 2M as a starter rig to be used in house for the most part. Thoughts on that?

What add-ons would you recommend? Gigaparts offers some at checkout...thinking antenna and software.

If you're going to use the FT-2900R as a base station, I'd recommend getting a power supply such as: http://www.gigaparts.com/Product-Lines/Variable-Voltage_2/Alinco-DM-330MVT.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwoMKiBRDHwoaQ0dzn0UwSJAAUk5Jiv1zlrztDVNk-okgVhcg9U4OK5M6ItVKIm0ltPFLJfhoCx-7w_wcB

You can then use the power supply for the other radios that you'll undoubtedly accumulate.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

You should get or make some type of external antenna unless you intend to operate it only on low power,and put it up as high as you can. If it is outside you will also need a lightning arrestor and ground. Also, an SWR meter to tune it if you can't borrow one.

I like j-poles or slim-jim antennas. They can be bought or easily made, have good gain, a narrow profile and don't require ground radials.

Last edited:

DrCatt

A Knight Without Armor
    Mar 11, 2013
    Carroll County
    Was thinking about the Yaesu FT-2900R 2M as a starter rig to be used in house for the most part. Thoughts on that?

I've had experience with the 2900R and it's solid. Starting locally on 2m is a great way to meet other locals who can help as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom