• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    On my old 3000GT forum we had a few folks that were just all around problems. There was one guy I particular who was a known to not exactly be a full blown scammer but damn close to it; think drawn out shipping and refunds and such. He was also a huge fuckin troll. The Admins had banned him multiple times but he kept getting around it. This was between 2002 and 2010 for some time context and to say that the the tools available to forum administrators were not like they have today.

Anyways one day he stopped posting. Then we noticed we couldn't find his last known account in his search. Finally asked the Admin what was up and he let us know they'd found and incorporated a feature called Global Ignore. It is exactly what OP is talking about but instead of it being Bullfrog not seeing the guys posts, it was everyone not seeing guys posts.

It worked perfectly.
    That's called Tachy Goes to Coventry.

It's actually called that and we've used it a couple of times

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter

The Lord Humongous approves of this

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Imagine going through life without ever offending someone. Even something as simple as saying “baseball is not a team sport”.
    On our MDS Baseball Team, the "AR-007s" that is not a problem for our tryouts or the other teams in our league"

When you play for or against "The MDS AR-007s", you learn to either play ball with us or get the bat shoved up your azz

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If someone triggers you that bad, maybe time to take a break from the forum? If you can't but help bickering rather than ignoring or scrolling I dont know much else a function can provide.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    hush hush, keep it down down... voices carry

Good one, but I think it's "keep it down now... voices carry"

Hello? (Hello? Hello? Hello?)
    Is there anybody in there?
    Just nod if you can hear me
    Is there anyone home?

Another classic. Unfortunately Roger Waters turned out to be a ginormous dumbazz.

Pro Putin, Pro Hamas, comparing both Israel and Ukraine to nazis when ironically they are both being attacked by fascist-like authoritarian groups... :crazy:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I'm still not clear on the purpose of this. I think I get the mechanics of how it would work, but not the why it is needed.
    If the purpose is to talk about someone behind their back, the PM system is basically a group chat now. I don't know how many members could be included, but I have successfully talked about members behind their backs with multiple other members before.

If you want all of MDS to hear the bad stuff you have to say about a member, my thoughts are:
    1) maybe you should re-evaluate what you are want to say. Cloaked or not, Jesus and your great great grandmother are going to know what you said.
    2) if you don't like them that much, who gives a SHlT whether they know it or not? Put them on ignore and go about your life as though they don't exist. The new software does a much better job of ignoring than the old.

We're here for content (reading and providing), not censorship.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

I just looked that up, and it made my day :D.

Apparantly "Tachy" was a real person (screen name, at least) who was essentially a troll/spammer (before we had those terms for it) who got around bans with new accounts. Someone running the forum created the function that essentially put Tachy on everyone's ignore list to deal with it. Tachy could see his own posts, but no one could see his or interact with him at all.

I found various possible roots of "goes to Coventry," from English history. The bottom line, if you send someone to Coventry, you do not expect to ever see them again.

Freakin' hilarious! :party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Scot2024

Latest threads

Top Bottom