• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    Ok, I'll admit it... I suck with the iron sights on my AKMS.

Maybe the front sight isn't in the right position (I have a sight adj. tool & it looks centered to me), or I just don't know what i'm looking for in a "correct" sight picture on this rifle... either way, I feel like i'm wasting ammo when I don't hit my target at 50 falkin yards.

So i'm now thinking of getting some sort of scope or Red Dot or _______, just wondering about the best way to mount said scope.

Do I get a replacement cover that has mounting points, or do I want the kind that mounts on the side somehow and "reaches up" above the cover. To me, either way seems like it wouldn't take much to mis-align or bend it out of zero.

If anyone has any first hand input on this I would appreciate it.

I know these rifles weren't designed with a scope in mind but... I just wanna be able to hit some shit fairly accurately when I use this rifle the 2 times a year I do.

Thanks

DarthZed

Ultimate Member
    Sep 25, 2010
    Howard County
    This company manufactures a rear sight that utilizes an AR style peep sight, and also greatly increases sight distance. It supposedly transforms the AK's accuracy and sight picture.

http://www.tech-sights.com/ak.htm

Kinda pricey, but if you want good iron sights on an AK, they are the way to go.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I was looking for something also. I saw the Beryl style picatinny mounts, but there are mixed reviews on keeping zero. I see the front handguard replacements which seem more stable, but they seem to sit too far forward. Has anyone seen something like an extended picatinny rail that would mount to the handguard style rail but kind of move the mounting position back?

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    top cover wouldn't keep zero.

Top cover mounts that slide in just like normal dust covers won't hold zero. Ones that are properly engineered like the Texas Weapons Systems mount that is properly engineered works great. Still allows one to clean the gun without losing zero.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Do you want a scope, a red dot or better irons? Roughly in order of my preference, and I'm an irons guy:

Tech Sights give you a longer sight radius and rear peep irons. Decent and fairly inexpensive, but harder to remove dust cover.

TWS Dogleg allows mounting optics low above the bore, and/or also a rear peep. Requires some fitting, more expensive. Probably the best of both worlds.

AK side mount can accommodate a variety options and is solid, but IMO most are less than ideal (too high) and some side mounts plus scope are unduly heavy.

Front gas tube mounts like Ultimak are fine for red dots but heat up quickly.

sleepingdino

Mar 13, 2013
    People's Republic of Mont Co
    RS Regulate makes the best reviewed mount for the AK. They aren't too high but they are expensive. You can choose the amount of rail you want. The MAC has a review of last year's model.

The Midwest Industries mount has good feedback. A cheap option is a UTG rail.

Knuckles

Feb 28, 2012
    Ceciltucky, MD
    Thanks for the input guys. Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.

Hoping to hear more from guys that have actually done a side mount or replaced their top/dust cover. Don't think I'm going to change out the iron sights.

I just want to be as accurate as possible at 50 to 75 yards. I suppose a "dot" style scope is what I have in mind.

wynnstudio

"Member"
    Feb 15, 2011
    Parkville, MD
    I just went with a BP-02 side mount and a strikefire red dot

setup looks like this

sf_bp02_3.jpg

Kalinka has the mount

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    east wave scope mount

These guys also have the mounts.

http://www.eastwave.ca/products/mounts.html

Here's the scopes too.

http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes.html

I put the fixed 8x scope on my M76 and I just love it. Note that there are 2 types, the DMR (dragonuv) & the AK type. The bullet drop for the 7.62x39 is different then the drop for the 7.62x54r. Therefore, choose the correct one. I would also keep it authentic. Get the East block type cross hairs with the built in range finder and chevrons.

Last edited:

L0gic

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2013
    RS Regulate makes the best reviewed mount for the AK. They aren't too high but they are expensive. You can choose the amount of rail you want. The MAC has a review of last year's model.

The Midwest Industries mount has good feedback. A cheap option is a UTG rail.

Video includes discussion of the RS Regulate mount from this years MAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom