• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • patriot001

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2013
    Does anyone have experience in using these AK recoil buffers? Do they effect functionalityin the gun, and do they actually help wi th. Recoil?

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Buffers aren't used by any country that fields AKs... if you have a problem with your bolt carrier hitting the rear trunnion, replace the recoil spring instead.

Most smiths I've talked to say they do more harm than good over time.

patriot001

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 2, 2013
    Nope, it doesn't have a brand name, its a rubber piece that goes around the recoil spring. It's been said they're supposed to reduce recoil , and extend the bolt life, but AKs are durable weapons already

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    They cause malfunctions, avoid. I had two second hand rifles with them installed.

light carrier to trunnion contact is normal. if it is smacking hard the recoil spring should be replaced. I would think some of the aggressive muzzle breaks could cause problems without a + spring

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    The issue here is that the bolt is supposed to stop right before it hits the rear trunion. When you put a recoil buffer in, the bolt would now be hitting the rear trunion everytime it goes back.

Try a new recoil spring if recoil or trunion hits are the issue.

Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    yea avoid them. as said use a new spring.

easy way to test if its hitting the rear trunnion is to put some lipstick on the trunnion, fire a few rounds and check the back of the bcg, hits will be obvious. if a new spring doesnt fix it you can try taking 1" pieces of the old spring and add them in at the base with a thin steel washer (same or smaller outside diameter as the spring) to act as a buffer between the springs. add one at a time until hits stop. be careful not to add to much though and that the bcg now maxes out the spring compression and sending all its force into the spring tower/dust cover clip as that will snap it fairly quickly.

its easy to test...pull the bcg back and see if you can pull it all the way back and hit the rear trunnion, if it can but does not hit when firing then youre set, if the bcg stops before it hits the rear when you pull it back then you need to remove some spring

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    I use them in both of my AKs. I figure it's better to smack into polyurethane then metal. Red star arms sells them. It's like using synthetic oil in your car. You don't have to, but it'll last longer.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    When thinking about modifications to an AK, always ask yourself:

"Did Mikhail Kalashnikov design the part that I want to install?"

If the answer is "no" then forget about it. Prettying them up, making them tacticool or trying to "improve" one is just dumb.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I use them in both of my AKs. I figure it's better to smack into polyurethane then metal. Red star arms sells them. It's like using synthetic oil in your car. You don't have to, but it'll last longer.

10,000+ rounds and still going strong in original factory configuration:

I don't even oil it. For over twenty five years now, I just clean it once in a while and shoot it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom