• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nemesis

Russian Grizzly Adams
    Oct 3, 2009
    Martinsburg, WV
    arsenal (either sgl or slr, doesnt matter) saiga or vepr...as far as 7.62x39 vs 5.45x39 goes...do you like the curved mags or straighter mags as far as looks? because both rounds are pretty damn good so you cant go wrong with either. 5.45 will be a bit more accurate and easier to shoot at longer ranges, also has less recoil and is a bit easier to find these days, so i suppose that is something to consider.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I prefer 5.45, it's more accurate out of most of my guns and more like shooting 5.56 (light recoil). Plus still pretty damn cheap if you aren't afraid of corrosive.

If you can only afford one or two before the ban, stick to imported Russian or Bulgarian... or older converted sporters or pre-bans. Domestic builds can be good, but imports are almost always the better bang for your buck

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    While I'm new here, I'm still "old school" - 7.62x39 for me. If it's good enough for every "two-bit" revolutionary from every country around the globe; who drops their weapon in the mud and cleans it in gasoline, and it still fires.... It's good enough for me when the SHTF.

Of course YMMV

Bravo

Bravo
    Feb 18, 2013
    Howard County
    5.45 x 39 is I believe 100 percent imported ammo, which could be stopped from importation by our enlightened leaders. 7.62 is much more available outside the Internet route and is more readily available locally.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    5.45 x 39 is I believe 100 percent imported ammo, which could be stopped from importation by our enlightened leaders. 7.62 is much more available outside the Internet route and is more readily available locally.

Wrong. Hornady makes 5.45 ammo with plastic tipped bullets. I'd gotten one of each last year, had to sell them pre-panic :sad20:

MikeSP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2011
    Severna Park, MD
    I vote 7.62x39. I like the idea of 2 guns in each caliber like an AK +SKS. If I were in your shoes. I would get an AK like a polish under folder that I think Atlantic firearms still has @$950 and try and get an Albanian/Chinese SKS from a gun show to compliment it. And ammo if you can find it. If there is budget left over maybe a stripped lower for an AR.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...k47-polish-folder-vaf-47-detail.html?Itemid=0
    I think that gun is nice looking

brianong18

Nobody
    Jul 11, 2011
    Pasadena, MD
    Fantastic info! I have a Saiga 12 already so thinking Saiga may be the route I go.

To parlay this in to another question, if you only had X amount of money, would you double up on one of each on the AK's or go with one AK and a ____(M1 or AR is what I am thinking but feel free to fill in the blank)____.

I went with 1 M1A, 1 AK and 1 AR.

Continued magazine availability points toward the 47. Note that neither tango down nor magpul went the 5.45 route.

The Magpul 7.62x39 mag isn't even out yet. Says late Summer 2013 release.

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG572/PMAG

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    Continued magazine availability points toward the 47. Note that neither tango down nor magpul went the 5.45 route.

I'm willing to bet Magpul puts out 5.45 AK mags within a year of the 7.62 AK pmags coming out.

All depends on how the 7.62 mags sell and how Magpul's transition to another state goes.

Also if there is any more federal legislation that affects magazines and their capacity.

Feb 6, 2012
    Ak74, if I want a 7.62x39 I'll get a VZ. Ammo for the 74 is pretty readily available even with the panic still in full swing. Or... at least is was last I checked.

50bmg

Sep 24, 2011
    Towson, MD
    Both.

Pros:

--5.45 is usually a little more accurate, cheaper, and less recoil. Also is lighter to carry a full loadout.
    --7.62 is a better penetration round, classic, more options to choose from (mags and ammo).

Cons:
    --5.45 is getting harder to find the cheaper milsurp corrosive. It IS corrosive ammo, which isn't a big deal, just a couple extra steps to clean. Mags seem to be harder to find and there is less compatibility with other platforms (no Sig 556R in 5.45 for example, or SKS or VZ, etc).
    --7.62: Its a heavier round to carry a full loadout, is noted to have a shorter effective range, is more costly.

I enjoy shooting both, but probably give the nod to the 7.62x39. Fun round to shoot.

Mildot

Nov 23, 2011
    Arnold, MD
    Thanks for the excellent info. I am new to the AK market and was trying to decide between the 47 and 74 also. The info here is helping to decide. I think I am leaning towards the 47, maybe a pre ban folder. If I did find a pre ban folder and had it shipped to my FFL from out of state is there a limit to how many features it can have or do I have to find a pre ban that's already in Maryland? I have read through several AK threads on the site and this was never really clear to me. I know I can't have the 30 rnd mags, that most of the pre bans come with, shipped to Maryland. Thanks

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Thanks for the excellent info. I am new to the AK market and was trying to decide between the 47 and 74 also. The info here is helping to decide. I think I am leaning towards the 47, maybe a pre ban folder. If I did find a pre ban folder and had it shipped to my FFL from out of state is there a limit to how many features it can have or do I have to find a pre ban that's already in Maryland? I have read through several AK threads on the site and this was never really clear to me. I know I can't have the 30 rnd mags, that most of the pre bans come with, shipped to Maryland. Thanks

At the moment, you can have any rifle shipped here with any number of features. Your FFL in MD can even take possession of a 30 rd mag if they ship together, although he can't pass the mag along to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom