• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • virtus

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2010
    The finished product looks great :thumbsup:

Hell, the wood looked pretty nice to begin with. Back when I was in the market for a WASR I handled a few and they were ROUGH looking.

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I got it at Wal Mart. Look in the section with laundry detergents and whatnot. I believe the two colors I used were along the lines of "Scarlet" and "Wine" or something like that. Just go with light coats so you don't get it TOO red, then let it dry for a couple of days before applying the seal coat.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I got it at Wal Mart. Look in the section with laundry detergents and whatnot. I believe the two colors I used were along the lines of "Scarlet" and "Wine" or something like that. Just go with light coats so you don't get it TOO red, then let it dry for a couple of days before applying the seal coat.

so you mixed them together and put light coats on the wood and allow a few days to try before the poly.

awesome!! thx

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I didn't mix them, I started with a few swipes of the lighter red, dried it, followed by the darker till the color looked OK. You can experiment a little bit, the stuff is water based so you can wash it out to some extent if it doesn't come out right. Let it dry before judging the color, as it does change some when dry.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I didn't mix them, I started with a few swipes of the lighter red, dried it, followed by the darker till the color looked OK. You can experiment a little bit, the stuff is water based so you can wash it out to some extent if it doesn't come out right. Let it dry before judging the color, as it does change some when dry.

very cool!!! thanks

LostSoul

Nugget Popper
    Oct 29, 2008
    Ho Co
    I'm trying to find the page I loosely used as a how to guide, but I can't find it at the moment... I'll post a link if I find it :thumbsup:

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    i have been toying with this idea, and now that i see the results, i like. nice job!

RollTide

Dec 31, 2010
    Greenbelt
    Stripped mine and evrything came right off. Alot better than I expected. Put on one coat of Sedona red(really liked the color in this post), think maybe one or two more coats. Havn't decied on semi gloss or satin for the finish. So far so good, everythings coming out the same shade. Except a wooden grip I bought but I knew I'd have to work on that.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Stripped mine and evrything came right off. Alot better than I expected. Put on one coat of Sedona red(really liked the color in this post), think maybe one or two more coats. Havn't decied on semi gloss or satin for the finish. So far so good, everythings coming out the same shade. Except a wooden grip I bought but I knew I'd have to work on that.

Cool!! I put 5 light coats of stain. and satin finish

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom