• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Wow, looks very nice. I would like to do that to my Saiga one day. Already did the red stain to a Mosin and I think the reddish stain looks very nice, apart from most of what is seen on AK's.

Not trying to steel your thread FPS. But, you seem to have alot of knowledge on AK's. I guess you did a lot of reading. But, I have a question on pricing. I am looking at a Norinco not positive what model right now but they are asking around $550. Is this a good price for a Norinco or does it depend on model?

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Not trying to steel your thread FPS. But, you seem to have alot of knowledge on AK's. I guess you did a lot of reading. But, I have a question on pricing. I am looking at a Norinco not positive what model right now but they are asking around $550. Is this a good price for a Norinco or does it depend on model?

PM coming

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Nice job on the wood, and it helps you had an immaculate set to begin with! Nice score and great finish work.

One trick I picked up is using Rit dye rather than various stains and varnish. It will stain wood very well and mixed with alcohol and strained can also tint any clear varnish. It's a great way to save a few bucks and avoid having a bunch of cans sitting in your garage, as you can mix up just enough to get the color you want.

RollTide

Dec 31, 2010
    Greenbelt
    here is the final project....it just needs some touch up with removing pain off some metal parts. I just took the pics this morning. I hope you approve and hope Kalashnikov would have approved.
    I really like what you did on the stock. Quick question. I have a WASR myself and I would like to do the same. The stock on mine is a bit darker though, would you suggest sanding it down a little or just doing it the same way

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I really like what you did on the stock. Quick question. I have a WASR myself and I would like to do the same. The stock on mine is a bit darker though, would you suggest sanding it down a little or just doing it the same way

Do you think they used a different type of wood or a different finish. If its the finish then it can be removed BUT if the wood is dark I think it will be the same way.

FYI....I am no expert or claim to be. i'm actually new to this and started doing some shotgun furniture. I just wanted to do my AK.

RollTide

Dec 31, 2010
    Greenbelt
    Not sure, I'm just going to try it the way you did and see where it takes me. Thats why I love the WASR10, its reliable, shoots great and I won't be too upset if I mess something up. If it doesn't get lighter after stripping I will go real easy on the Sedona Red(I think that's what you said) to see how it starts to look. Gotta go to home depot for some plasti dip anyway.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Not sure, I'm just going to try it the way you did and see where it takes me. Thats why I love the WASR10, its reliable, shoots great and I won't be too upset if I mess something up. If it doesn't get lighter after stripping I will go real easy on the Sedona Red(I think that's what you said) to see how it starts to look. Gotta go to home depot for some plasti dip anyway.

get the small can....i hardly used any of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom