AK47 built from 80% receiver - Legal in MD???

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    Yippie! Another 80% thread.

I tried to do a search. But was just overwhelmed with many long threads, as a result. I couldn't find an answer to my question without reading a lot huge threads, looking for the answer.

If you could kindly direct me to any *post* that gave a *definitive* answer, it would be greatly appreciated.
    :)

SneakySh0rty

Aug 22, 2013
    Pasadena
    The AK-47, "in all forms" is specifically listed as a Banned ALG on October 1st. This information is readily available even through a google search.

EDIT: though you can get a CZ58/ 2008. Those are still legal provided they pass the copycat feature test.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    When you bought a 80% isnt the issue. You can buy a AR 15 80% lower now in MD. You just cant get it to 100% legally.

So if your 80% AK receiver is still 80%, you cannot finish it. I dont know enough about what constitutes a 80% for a AK because I have not researched it enough. So this just my opinion. Some say a bent flat is good enough, but I dont know to be honest.

if it was 100% before 10/01 you good to go. How could they ever tell when it was completed. They cant.

These douches who pass these laws are emotionally disfunctional at best, and in my opinion should be mentally evaluated and drug tested.

The fact that people ask these 80% legality questions proves that law abiding citizens are the only people who are impacted by these stupid laws by stupid people.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    The ATF doesn't view things in percentages. These 80% receivers were a clever marketing scheme that everyone uses today. The ATF considers the chunk of metal you have, as either a firearm, or not. And with AK receivers, typically if it's bent and has any type of hole(s) (even wrong sized) for the trigger or hammer, it's considered a firearm by the ATF. Personally if it was bent before 10/1, I would say you're okay to build the rifle. However, some on this forum would disagree, and perhaps justifiably.

That being said, there is nothing preventing you from making an AK pistol. AK pistols, from what I've read, are not on the assault pistol list, and the MSP handgun roster board is only if you wish to transfer the firearm to another MD resident (not barring federal law). Therefore, when bending new flats, designate them as pistols/handguns.

For SBR's, according to the MSP advisory, it made no mention of the assault long-gun list, but again others have counter argued. From the way the SBR advisory reads, all SBR's are handguns in one subtitle, but do apply to the copycat clauses, as stated in another subtitle. So, theoretically if you put in for an AK SBR and received the tax stamp, you could build a new AK SBR as long as it followed the copycat clauses. That is, it cannot have an OAL <29 inches, and cannot have both a flash hider and a folding stock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom