• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Please quit acting like a Battered "MD Gun Owner"..............

No law abiding member on this forum is going to suggest that all he has to do is make up a invoice that would comply with the current law, because that would be against the law and would make him a felon gun owner. The proper thing for him to do is to have documentation and make sure he follows the laws of Maryland; that the MD legislative have already passed and the MSP can't seem to understand out how enforce.

It's up to the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the receiver was manufactured post-ban. I would delete this thread.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    They don't say the rails have been heat treated, but that's easy and it's really just the ejector tip that is critical. If I had to start all over, I'd begin with a treated Polish blank. My home-hardened receivers are still going strong but they aren't as stiff as I'd prefer.

Back when you could put a functioning AK together for $150 or so, building made sense. These days I wouldn't recommending building unless you wanted something rare/unusual.

Or untraceable. It's always nice to know that at least a couple of your guns aren't on any lists anywhere.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    It's still legal to make and manufacturer AK receivers from blanks or flats, as they can be legally built into AK handguns or AK SBR's, making sure to be in compliance with the copycat weapon provisions (doesn't apply to handguns). The burden of proof is still on the state to determine if a particular banned "assault long gun" or "copycat" was manufactured post Oct 1st. The only firearms where the burden of proof is on the individual is concerning SBR/SBS as stated in Public Safety Article §5–203(b), which is Maryland State Law.

You would have to build those "80%" receivers into one of the above configurations. No receipt necessary.

Bald Fat Guy

Oct 7, 2014
    Just to be Devil's advocate - The state needs to prove beyond a reasonable doubt for a CONVICTION. Confiscations are another question. Administrativly they have near total discrsion to decide if they want to return legal firearms to nonprohibited persons. Which would then lead to civil suits.

Not saying for people to not do lawful things, just point out that telling ourselves "They'd have to prove it to get a Conviction" is optimistic.

HT4

Dum spiro spero.
    Jan 24, 2012
    Bethesda
    The only firearms where the burden of proof is on the individual is concerning SBR/SBS as stated in Public Safety Article §5–203(b), which is Maryland State Law.

Interesting... I never knew this. There's also a very strong argument that it's unconstitutional IMO.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    As already covered here pretty well, you can legally complete the receivers. If you put a stock and barrel on one, it better be with approved SBR tax stamp. You can freely build them into pistols.

bobthefisher

Durka ninja
    Aug 18, 2010
    Definitely not where you are!
    Just to be Devil's advocate - The state needs to prove beyond a reasonable doubt for a CONVICTION. Confiscations are another question. Administrativly they have near total discrsion to decide if they want to return legal firearms to nonprohibited persons. Which would then lead to civil suits.

Not saying for people to not do lawful things, just point out that telling ourselves "They'd have to prove it to get a Conviction" is optimistic.

Yes, absolutely. Both sides can play legal hardball, with you being the ultimate loser due to lawyer and courts costs. Best a game not to play by doing stupid things.

BTW: You can also still transfer complete AK receivers via an FFL. But you'll need to fill out a 77R, as MSP interprets that into an act of building a handgun. However, that interpretation is nowhere in law, as are the regulation\registration of any receiver by the state. But that's another rope to piss up. I'm waiting to see what happens with the Engage lawsuit and SBR/SBS needing to comply with copycat provisions. Should be a good case to watch.

Shadow503

Jul 9, 2014
    I moved here at the beginning of the year and brought many of my AK & AR 80% builds. I registered them within 90 days as required by law, and then about a month later received a call from MSP! When I got back to them (fearing the worst - either I messed up paperwork or they were going to demand to see the guns) they just wanted to verify that the reason they don't have serial numbers is that they are 80% builds and I have no intention of selling them.

While mine were all in a banned config pre 10/1/13, they never asked me when i completed them. It seems a new resident with post 10/1/13 builds who is unaware of the deadline could register her weapons as legally required, all the while both her and MSP being blissfully unaware of the violation.

It seems MSP is giving people the benefit of the doubt about build completion date.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    It's nice to hear they understand these things can legally exist with no serial numbers from home builds.

Waz

SHAZAM!!!
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glen Burnie-ish
    So, just to be clear. An 80% frame is good to go for pistol or sbr.

What about new never assembled in rifle configuration 100% lower into pistol? Like ar lowers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom