• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • theBIGone2087

Point-of-Aim Productions
    Aug 15, 2010
    Laurel, MD
    SO I picked up an AK74 today that I had built for me off of a bulgarian parts kit. The build quality is solid and everything functions smoothly, but the finish is almost embarrassing. There are spots all over the receiver that weren't polished out, and what looks like nicks on the left side that could be where the rails were spot-welded in. Anywho, does anyone know a shop (doesn't have to be local) that does refinishing of AK's?

Thanks!

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    I have a similar question but with a twist. If one was to build an AK from a flat, once it is completed, is it possible and/or legal to ship that firearm to a vendor to be finished or are you on your own?

dspurlock

Mar 31, 2013
    SO I picked up an AK74 today that I had built for me off of a bulgarian parts kit. The build quality is solid and everything functions smoothly, but the finish is almost embarrassing. There are spots all over the receiver that weren't polished out, and what looks like nicks on the left side that could be where the rails were spot-welded in. Anywho, does anyone know a shop (doesn't have to be local) that does refinishing of AK's?

Thanks!

I believe if you look here you can see some people listed that should be able to help you like they helped me. I know after I contacted Glade Valley in Frederick, they mentioned they do refinishing work.

tc617

USN Sub Vet
    Jan 12, 2012
    Yuma, Arizona
    There is always the sandblast and paint. Maybe parkerizing.

I have a glass bead booth and have painted AKs with high temp engine paint in the past. I think maybe the next AK I am going with a Duracoat finish. I don't think I want to invest the time and money to parkerize 1-2 rifles per year.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    you can ship completed receivers to any gun repair shop without involving an FFL. You still retain ownership.

Did you consider Duracoating? That will adhere fine and depending on the thickness when you spray, will cover some of the blemishes as well.

Check out Bollinger's in the IP Section, they offer this service

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom