• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Is it still legal to order an AK47 Parts Kits and ship them to Maryland after Oct 1?

I see on Sportmanguide website they wont ship assault riffle parts to Maryland. Was not sure if the AK 47 Parts Kits fall under that pervue.

Dave

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Yes the kits are still legal. It'll be illegal to buy/make a receiver after 10/1, but you can build on any complete receiver you already have.

honda53s

Ultimate Member
    May 4, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I bought quite a few stamped 80% receivers from AR15-Builder.com.. Great site and easy to use. Just complete the receivers before the 1st and you will be good to build them whenever.

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Cool thanks. Looking at either getting an 80% and drilling it out this weekend or buying one outright if I can find a store in the Frederick, MD area that has an AK47 for sale at a reasonable price.

Dave

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Any good sources to get the parts kits from. In case SportsmanGuide wont ship to MD?

Dave

Arms of America has some nice Polish fixed stock kits. I picked up a couple of the hand select kits. Excellent condition (appeared unissued), 1968, blued finish (99% intact), hard wood, matching numbers.

I bought some Polish receivers too. Once I find some Polish barrels, should make a pretty authentic AKM clone.

Might want to be careful using sportsmanguide for kits right now (posts 488, 504, 508, 514, 520, 521):
    http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157659&page=14

ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Arms of America has some nice Polish fixed stock kits. I picked up a couple of the hand select kits. Excellent condition (appeared unissued), 1968, blued finish (99% intact), hard wood, matching numbers.

I bought some Polish receivers too. Once I find some Polish barrels, should make a pretty authentic AKM clone.

Might want to be careful using sportsmanguide for kits right now (posts 488, 504, 508, 514, 520, 521):
    http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157659&page=14

Thanks for the info. I was looking at a AK folded 80% receiver at AKParts.com but I am skeptical about ordering from a company that has no listed phone number and a PO Box for an address.

Do you have a link to the kit you bought?

Dave

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Sure, here you go. If you happen to want hard wood, I'd call and confirm they have it:
    http://armsofamerica.com/polishakm-47partskithandselect.aspx

Pics of one of my kits (cell pics, not much detail and I haven't cleaned up the kit yet):
    http://s755.photobucket.com/user/mtel2/slideshow/Polish Kit

Better pics were taken here in post 169 by someone else. My kits looks almost identical to this though:
    http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=157659&page=5

I really didn't want to spend money on kits that could be better spent on banned items right now. I wanted matching serial numbers on the Polish receivers though.

Good luck.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    If I already have a registered 100% receiver and parts kit would an out-of-state licensed builder be able to build it for me after 10/1?

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    I would think an in-state builder could do it since the receiver is already 100% and registered.

I already have a couple out-of-state builders that have built for me that I'd like to use, but if it has to be in state do you have any recommendations?

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    If I already have a registered 100% receiver and parts kit would an out-of-state licensed builder be able to build it for me after 10/1?

Only honest answer I can give you is neither the AG or MSP has given a definitive answer (in writing) yet. MSP had FFL information sessions during late August that seemed to cover mostly SBRs and purchase orders.

I'm just waiting to see the treatment of receivers in writing. If 77r'd receivers possessed before 10/1 are given the green light, you could use any builder you'd want though.

I'm using Mike at Mid County for one (great forum rep). Six months before he can get to me though.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    No experience with any,but Mid-County Gunshop as well as Scott's would be my first contacts (from I've read/seen on here) and they're IP's.

Thanks for the info, if anybody knows if I can send it out of state to be built let me know.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Add to that list Glade Valley in Frederick. Chad at Scott's said he wasn't doing any more AK work so they may be out of the game.

Thanks for the info, if anybody knows if I can send it out of state to be built let me know.

Yes, building is considered gunsmithing so you can send parts + receiver and take receipt of the finished product without involving an FFL.

Hicap

Magazine Clips
    Jun 10, 2012
    Add to that list Glade Valley in Frederick. Chad at Scott's said he wasn't doing any more AK work so they may be out of the game.

Yes, building is considered gunsmithing so you can send parts + receiver and take receipt of the finished product without involving an FFL.

Just to clarify, after 10/1 is ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom