• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • goneshootin88

Sep 22, 2009
    MOCO
    Hello all. I was wondering if anyone had an airline approved case I could borrow. I'm leaving Wednesday and will be back Sunday. I'm located in Gaithersburg and I'm more than happy to drive to pick it up. I was planning on driving but my mom had a free ticket that was going to expire so she gave it to me. Any help with this would be greatly appropriated. Thanks guys.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    I don't have a spare, but just so you you are aware - if it is a long case, longer than 62 linear inches (length x width x height) then it will incur an oversize baggage fee. That fee is $175.00 EACH WAY on US airlines.

A good case that meets TSA regulations and is under the limit is the Pelican 1720 case.

For a case to be TSA approved it has to be hard sided and locked. It doesn't have to be a Peilcan, but at about $175.00 the purchase of a 1720 pays for itself in one trip.

To check your firearm, you will go to the airline check-in counter and declare your rifle. The ticketing agent will inspect it and have you sign an orange card stating that it is unloaded. You will then lock it and the agent will put it on the belt.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    have you tried these on a pelican case? The holes on the case are a specific size. That size, i have no idea. Guess im probing for folks that have had them on their pelicans

i know. the only thing i get to fit is the tsa cable lock..

check out the second link i posted.. its made for pelican case.

pilotguy

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Woodstock, MD
    just get them tsa approved cable locks.. it works for my hoyt case (similar to pelican).

You are NOT allowed to use TSA locks when transporting a firearm. It has to be a regular lock like a Master lock--take your case to Wal Mart, and there is a good selection of master brass locks with keys that will fit the Pelican holes.

The TSA will inspect it and have you lock it, and it has to stay locked until you re-claim it. The TSA does not want the liability associated with a TSA lock on a firearm. If they need to get into it again, they will contact you, so it's also a good idea to have your cell phone number on the outside of the case:

"We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft."

wayneinFL

Dec 6, 2009
    You're right, you're not supposed to use TSA locks.

I always fly with both. The TSA employees aren't all rocket scientists. I had to buy a TSA lock in Atlanta for $12 at the airport, because the numbnuts TSA employee was sure I had to have one.

And it doesn't hurt to have a strong lock, but if someone wants what's inside, they're just going to take the whole case anyway. When I fly with a handgun, I put the hard case inside a cheap flowered softsided case.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    You are NOT allowed to use TSA locks when transporting a firearm. It has to be a regular lock like a Master lock--take your case to Wal Mart, and there is a good selection of master brass locks with keys that will fit the Pelican holes.

The TSA will inspect it and have you lock it, and it has to stay locked until you re-claim it. The TSA does not want the liability associated with a TSA lock on a firearm. If they need to get into it again, they will contact you, so it's also a good idea to have your cell phone number on the outside of the case:

"We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain in the area designated by the aircraft operator or TSA representative to take the key back after the container is cleared for transportation. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft."

gotcha.. thats why i posted the second link.. its a regular lock (non-tsa) thats made for pelican case.. ;)

angler

Mar 30, 2010
    Anyone have any idea of a beefy lock that can be used with the smaller hole of a pelican case?

As I posted in the other thread, masterlock padlocks work.

I just use the medium sized master lock padlocks. They barely fit through the hole, but will work. Master locks have a horrible rep as being easy to pick/defeat. I hear Medeco makes some great pick resistant locks, I just haven't bought any yet. These look cool

http://www.medecodeals.com/G8R-Series-Padlock_p_269.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom