• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhytid

Jan 28, 2009
    Hi all,

I am looking to get my son (6 y/o) into shooting and gun safety. I thought starting out with an airgun would be best. Then gradually get him into .22 cal. I have done some research online but not sure which would be ideal for the boy. I originally started out planning on just getting a BB/pellet pistol (CO2) but then realized that I do not want him handling lead pellets all the time. So then, I started thinking about airsoft guns with the plastic BBs.

Can you guys give me some pointers on which would be better for a young boy? Something with decent accuracy so we can do some target shooting in the backyard/basement would be nice.

Thanks.

<HAN>

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    "BB's" are steel (to my knowledge).

I would keep it simple, pick up a Crossman or Daisy at Wal-Mart, You can rig up a box (trap) with open front that will make it nice for reclaiming the ammo.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Shortyusa.com for airsoft. They are right in Delaware and have a massive online selection. For pellet rifles you can get a crossing at Dicks and use non lead ammunition. Under $150.

Rhytid

Jan 28, 2009
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

As far as "BBs," I know they are not made of lead but I was concerned about them bouncing off the target/background and becoming dangerous. I know.... I know... I am probably thinking too much into it but I guess I am over-protective of my boy.

Will check out the links when I get home later.

<HAN>

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Lead pellets flatten out when they hit most of the traps on the market today. There is minimal risk of being hit by a ricochet!

Rhytid

Jan 28, 2009
    Thanks for the reply but I think you missed the part in my post about my not wanting my son to handle lead pellets.

I had a ton of fun as a kid shooting pellets into phone books (made for great backstop) so I know how the pellets deform and not really ricochet.

<HAN>

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    As long as you have him wash his hands in cold water after using lead pellets you will be fine. Hot water opens the pours of the skin thus the use of cold water.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Airsoft could be what you want. A quality spring powered rifle would be best to start. Gas airsoft would be more accurate, but pricey. Electrics aren't meant for accuracy, so much as spraying pellets everywhere. One benefit of airsoft is you can get accurate replicas of just about any gun you want.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Thanks for the replies so far guys.

As far as "BBs," I know they are not made of lead but I was concerned about them bouncing off the target/background and becoming dangerous. I know.... I know... I am probably thinking too much into it but I guess I am over-protective of my boy.

<HAN>

Eye protection. Other than that, if he goes down from a ricocheting BB, he may just be a little too young to shoot for now.

Rhytid

Jan 28, 2009
    Hahahaahahah....that's funny. :lol2:

Yeah.... definitely plan on having him wear eye protection. If he goes down from a ricocheting BB, I will need to toughen him up a bit.

<HAN>

thequietman

- - - - -
    Nov 26, 2011
    Harford County
    If your handy, you can pretty easily make a pellet/BB trap that should stop any BB ricocheting. Look here for the idea. At my local Lowes or Home Depot I didn't find the "Duct Seal" mentioned on the site that sells the traps, but what I found was called plumbers putty (oil based putty - looks like clay but won't dry out). I'm pretty sure its the same thing (or close enough). I haven't made a trap yet, but I plan to soon.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    You're all wrong. A 6yr old needs a Red Rider( and safety glasses ). Softairs are fine for indoor and combat practice again with safety glasses. Getting him used to eyes and ears will build good safety habits. For a 22 one of the adjustable stocked versions will allow the gun to grow with him and even fit you.

Mason-Dixon Baseball

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Fallston
    "BB's" are steel (to my knowledge).

I would keep it simple, pick up a Crossman or Daisy at Wal-Mart, You can rig up a box (trap) with open front that will make it nice for reclaiming the ammo.

The Crosman 760 is a good size for young kids-- $40 tops...-- and accurate enough for want you want to do--- STRESS muzzle awareness and trigger discipline!!!! Accuracy will come with age.... If it is too big, the stock can be easily cut down to fit a smaller shooter...

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=61958

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    So I have a similar question and concern.

In my case it is a 13 year old girl. I've already bought her a Ruger 22/45 (which she loves) and she tries to monopolize my IMI Uzi when we go to the range. However I'm looking for a legal plinker (meaning no firearms) for the backyard for her over the summer.

She already owns a junker BB gun she bought for $1 at a yard sale. I'm thinking about buying some targets (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NK0624/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VSBA96/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A1F9L30F007RKH) for backyard plinking when I'm not around.

However BBs do bounce back badly. She's already hit the house several times with ricochets just shooting at tree limbs. So I'd like to flip her over to lead pellets for the reasons cited above, however like the OP I don't want to expose her to lead. (Even at 13 I still have to make her wash her hands regardless of the reason, sigh...)

I'm thinking that narrows it down to air softs. But I know *nothing* about them. I read a few of the articles here discussing tradeoffs between spring, air, electronic etc. She won't be spraying people so electronic can be taken off the table.

So given my proposed usage: what would ya'll recommend as a good choice for her? I want to find the right balance between cost and value. She won't be hunting with a scope so she doesn't need a gold plated gun. And the "coolness" of an AR-15 clone is probably lost on her. On the other hand I don't want to get something so cheap that it is inaccurate and/or unreliable.

So, given my usage, and based on ya'll's experience, what would you recommend?

Thanks.

BlueHeeler

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Washington, DC
    CMP sells the Daisy M853. It is a pretty serious single shot rifle for not a lot of money. It has adjustable inserts to fit little people.

It does shoot pellets. Washing your hands and not eating lead is part of gun safety.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    So I have a similar question and concern.

In my case it is a 13 year old girl. I've already bought her a Ruger 22/45 (which she loves) and she tries to monopolize my IMI Uzi when we go to the range. However I'm looking for a legal plinker (meaning no firearms) for the backyard for her over the summer.

She already owns a junker BB gun she bought for $1 at a yard sale. I'm thinking about buying some targets (e.g. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NK0624/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER or http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VSBA96/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A1F9L30F007RKH) for backyard plinking when I'm not around.

However BBs do bounce back badly. She's already hit the house several times with ricochets just shooting at tree limbs. So I'd like to flip her over to lead pellets for the reasons cited above, however like the OP I don't want to expose her to lead. (Even at 13 I still have to make her wash her hands regardless of the reason, sigh...)

I'm thinking that narrows it down to air softs. But I know *nothing* about them. I read a few of the articles here discussing tradeoffs between spring, air, electronic etc. She won't be spraying people so electronic can be taken off the table.

So given my proposed usage: what would ya'll recommend as a good choice for her? I want to find the right balance between cost and value. She won't be hunting with a scope so she doesn't need a gold plated gun. And the "coolness" of an AR-15 clone is probably lost on her. On the other hand I don't want to get something so cheap that it is inaccurate and/or unreliable.

So, given my usage, and based on ya'll's experience, what would you recommend?

Thanks.

All depends on your budget. For lower cost an Electric with semi auto capability would be a good option. There are some higher end spring guns in the same price range that are accurate, but most are modeled after sniper rifles. If you wanna go big there are propane/green gas powered rifles out there, including lever action Winchesters and M1 Garands.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    I agree well almost

You're all wrong. A 6yr old needs a Red Rider( and safety glasses ). Softairs are fine for indoor and combat practice again with safety glasses. Getting him used to eyes and ears will build good safety habits. For a 22 one of the adjustable stocked versions will allow the gun to grow with him and even fit you.

I too started my son at the age of six, But i gave him a Chipmonk in 22
    We started with shooting CB longs and Glasses and Muffs were mandatory at all times, I bought the electronic muffs from dicks for about 20 bucks each.
    They work well because you can talk back and forth without taking them off.
    Fast forward almost 7 yrs and the glasses and muffs are normal for him to wear. Whatever you do have fun with your son. :party29:

sficksr

Feb 6, 2012
    harford co
    If its any help I had the same idea I now own a awesome green gas (propane) pistol and a heavy spring bolt action rifle to practice myself and to start training my 7 year old with. He handles the pistol great, but the rifles a little big yet so work from prone. We practice gun safety as if they are real firearms and it seems to work.

kwcraft

No witty username
    Apr 7, 2009
    NOT MARYLAND
    Started my son off with a Daisy M953 a few years back. He was 6 at the time. He shot in a league and was shooting 365-375 regularly (out of 400). They were lead pellets, but following proper hygene it wasn't too much to worry about (Did ask the doctor, she said it wasn't enough to worry over).

One difference between bb and pellet is the barrel. We originally bought a BB gun for him, but found out real quick that accuracy with a BB is futile. The pellets fly straighter. The BBs will also destroy any rifling you may have in your barrel (found out the hardway).

If you do go airsoft, you can check out airsoftgi.com. I've purchased a few rifles from them in the past and they carry good quality stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom