• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Leaving in a few hours to go on African Safari number 2. Hoping for Lion and Cape Buffalo and some plains game this year.

I'm a big supporter of hunting in general, but I really don't understand why someone would spend thousands of dollars to travel around the world to kill a majestic endangered animal that you wont eat.

As a fellow hunter from a conservation stand point it seems really irresponsible.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I’m not sure if Lions are “officially” endangered or not however their numbers are decreasing I believe. However I’m sure it’s legal to secure a permit and I have heard that the animal may be specifically selected if lame or sick. The OP may wish to comment further.

In my case I’ll be hunting plains game. I hunt for the meat and for the fun and challenge of the hunt itself. The outfitter will be making meals from what we take and he assures me anything that’s left will be given or sold to the locals so nothing will be wasted. I have confirmed that with people who I know personally and have hunted with him before. We personally may not consume all the game but someone will. If it were practical to ship the game home I would do that.

Last edited:

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    However I’m sure it’s legal to secure a permit and I have heard that the animal may be specifically selected if lame or sick. The OP may wish to comment further.

That seems to makes sense; I was probably a little to quick to criticize. ;)

STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    As a fellow hunter from a conservation stand point it seems really irresponsible.

From a conservation standpoint is where it makes the most sense. The OP's thousands of dollars spent on not only the safari but on the game specific license(s) ensure the preservation of habitat. Lions are less likely to be seen as a threat by the locals and more likely to be seen as an asset to be protected from poaching and loss of habitat. At least that's what all the safari shows I watch say....

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    I think I read somewhere that people in the US eat Mountain Lion.
    So I wonder, is lion edible?

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    I'm a big supporter of hunting in general, but I really don't understand why someone would spend thousands of dollars to travel around the world to kill a majestic endangered animal that you wont eat.

Lions are not endangered. Even though Obama administration tried to persuade the CITES members otherwise at last years meeting. They wanted Lions and Polar Bears listed for political reasons not scientific reasons. I suggest you join Safari Club international and become informed.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville

I tend to agree. I have killed all kinds of animals over the years but I refuse to hunt and kill an apex predator. :o

but I won't stop someone else from doing it.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    We're headed to Namibia very shortly. I came across these websites and thought they were interesting so I thought I'd post.

Although not from a hunting perspective they show what the country and the wildlife looks like:

Namibia -- a wildlife photographer's paradise
    http://edition.cnn.com/2013/06/27/travel/saving-african-wildlife-namibia/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

In Namibia, a Landscape Both Unforgiving and Awe-inspiring
    http://worldwildlife.org/blogs/wwf-...-landscape-both-unforgiving-and-awe-inspiring

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    lsmitty67

Latest threads

Top Bottom