Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Just make sure you dress like this

gage-650.jpg

Yeah, but the horns make me look fat :lol2:

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    .375 H&H Magnum. And practice with it. I understand that the PHs run into shooters who have never shot their heavy safari rifles fairly often.

Now...what's your second rifle?

Pirate

Mar 20, 2010
    When I went I used East Cape Safaris. The owner Grant is great with kids. I took my two boys and they were 10 and 12 at the time. The PH was very patient with the kids and they both got animals. If your looking for an outfitter send me a pm I can talk more about this one if you have any interest in this area. I dont have anything bad to say about him though.

Erno86

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 27, 2012
    Marriottsville, Maryland
    Most PH's in Africa... do not want to guide a hunter who has a muzzle break attached to the end of the barrel; for fear of going deaf. Be polite...carry a big stick --- but one without a muzzle break.

For a secondary...I would pick a Sako bolt gun in 30-06. For the Big Five gun: A bolt gun... possibly a Mauser style Ruger, or a CZ --- with a 1-4x Nikon Safari scope --- with backup iron sights.

Should I load all solids for Cape Buffalo...or go with a soft point for the first round, and backuped by solids? Does Barnes make a TSX round for the 375 and 416?

Some PH's in Africa...frown on the use of --- all copper Barnes bullets --- for fear of bullet passthru's on game; thusly wounding other animals.

tsphillips

Mar 4, 2012
    Finksburg
    Thanks for the replies -- the consensus seems to be at least a 375 for dangerous game. (I imagine a 30-06 could take care of anything else.)

As I was checking out a couple of the safari services, I noticed that vervet monkeys are listed as game animals. I wondered, why would anyone want to shoot a monkey? Then I found out the truth about vervet monkeys -- they're drunkards! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm7BcQHWXk

Tom

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Thanks for the replies -- the consensus seems to be at least a 375 for dangerous game. (I imagine a 30-06 could take care of anything else.)

As I was checking out a couple of the safari services, I noticed that vervet monkeys are listed as game animals. I wondered, why would anyone want to shoot a monkey? Then I found out the truth about vervet monkeys -- they're drunkards! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSm7BcQHWXk

Tom

The 3006 is a geat choice for plains game. I have taken everything from a spring buk to a Kudu with a 3006.

Those dam Monkeys are a srurge a blue balled plauge that needs to be shot on site!!!!

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Be aware of cape buffs in herds- their herdmates will come rumbling in to protect a wounded or fallen one of their own. Or just come after you and the PH just because.

The .375 H&H is the MINIMUM legal caliber for dangerous game in almost all countries. It is sufficient for all plains game inckuding the tougher species such as wildebeest, zebra, and eland. A .375 H&H and .30-06 is a great, old standard battery for Afica.

For the larger dangerous game bigger than leopard a 416 Rem Mag or other 416 or a 404 Jeffery or 458 Win Mag is a much better choice. Larger is better if the shot is not perfect due to angle, brush, etc. My last buff was taken with a 416 Rem Mag through the heart taking off most of the top of the heart and it still ran up hill for 40 yards before going down. They are tough and do kill careless PHs and hunters. Bigger is better, use top quality premium bullets, and don't take the shot until you are sure of a fatal hit.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    https://www.buffalobore.com/

Big Medicine for your big fire sticks.

The magic word is "Meplat", that is the secret to the effectiveness of any big game bullet.

A 400-500 grn Meplat in 45-70 or 450 Marlin +P or Magnum if you prefer from a 1895 or Ruger #1S is something to behold.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If I could actually afford to go to the Dark Continient, i would be so broke once i arrived...id' be hunting gnats with a rubber band gun......

I got the into trouble for hunting at The Dark Continient once but Busch Gardens' Security and Hillsboro, Fla Sheriff were willing to drop charges if I agreed to a life time ban:D

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Yeah, but the horns make me look fat :lol2:
    If I remember correctly old TR shot most of his African game with a 405 Win. model 1895 lever gun. That appears to be what he is holding in the photo.
    300g bullet at 2200 FPS. He took both the pictured rhino and cape buffalo with it. Closest thing today to that would be the .450 Marlin Hornady LeveRevolution 325g at 2225 FPS. But most African experts think those type cartridges (and that includes the 45-70 and .444) should be left to thin skinned game. Those cartridges limit you to effective ranges around about 100 yards to insure a single shot kill. A little close for comfort. .375 or .416 are better choices because you can control the range you must shoot at.

Jerry M

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2007
    Glen Burnie MD
    Shot a .30-06 last year: http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=103760

Going to take the .30-06 again this year and a .375 H&H for buffalo. I shot a .458 WM about 40 or so times in multiple trips to the range this year with stout 400 grain reloads, but the recoil was too much for me. I bought the .375 and it is much more comfortable to shoot. Whatever rifle you take, make sure you can shoot it well. In talking to the PH, he complained most people going on safari do not shoot very well.

Good luck

Jerry

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    Shot a .30-06 last year: http://mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=103760

Going to take the .30-06 again this year and a .375 H&H for buffalo. I shot a .458 WM about 40 or so times in multiple trips to the range this year with stout 400 grain reloads, but the recoil was too much for me. I bought the .375 and it is much more comfortable to shoot. Whatever rifle you take, make sure you can shoot it well. In talking to the PH, he complained most people going on safari do not shoot very well.

Good luck

Jerry

WOW :shocked3: a IMPRESSIVE trip! :thumbsup::cool:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    That's it. I want one. (I mean a Cape Buffalo.)

I'll be using Federal .375 H&H Magnum 300gr with the TBBC bullet.

wasntme

Jun 10, 2012
    I use .375 RUM if you are serious about going hit me up I have a customer in Cape Town south Africa who has invited me down to a friend of his place for a hunt, Im stoked to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom