• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Anyone have thoughts on the angled foregrips vs a vertical foregrip? I've been thinking about grabbing a AFG, but wanted to get some thoughts from people that may already have one. The AFG would be for an AR-15.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The only time I use VFG on rifles is when I have very little handguard space (eg, pistol-length AR-15 handguards, Uzis, etc.). On those, I use a more modern VFG technique, and not the "broom handle" approach.

On a shotgun with buck or bird, I'm more willing to consider going broom-handle, especially if it's something like the CGL or CT MVF-515 systems with lasers.

As for GripPods... every time I use one forward like a VFG, I wind up regretting it due to it throwing off balance and adding a ton of weight. My next attempt will probably be trying it mounted as far back as possible...

Never tried an AFG. I do use the the Magpul panel stops on my 9mm and 5.56x45 AR-15 SBRs, and they work well enough for me, especially if you use a very high grip.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I have used both, for me the VFG allows me get a more positive shoulder lock, though the AFG is really nice for bench shooting. I really like both I use VFG on my 300blk and afg on all my 5.56 guns

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Perhaps, I will have to borrow one of each and try them out before buying. I guess that would be the smart thing to do.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I tried a AFG on my recent build. I hated it. I traded it to someone for a VFG.

He loves AFG's and I love VFG's. Get what I'm saying?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    I had a VFG and hated the extra swing when transitioning to targets. I also have a AFG. I like it but found that I feel more comfortable rolling my thumb over the top of the hand guard so I switched to a hand stop. I like the set up now.

cyclrcr

Pronounced as cycleracer
    Oct 24, 2008
    Joppa
    My first AR I bought during the AWB and did not come with such cool features. I wanted my builds to go the tacti-cool route so I had the same question. A friend of mine got a Colt back in September and it had a vfg. When I shot it, I didn't like it. I felt like I didn't have enough support up front nor enough pull back to keep the stock solid in my shoulder. After that experience I had the opportunity to hold a rifle with an afg. That felt really good! I have one now on my first build. The only trick I found is making sure you have the afg far enough forward to give you a good stability but not to far forward where its uncomfortable.

Last edited:

SpruceJPG

Dec 30, 2012
    Carroll County
    Like some others have said, best to try both and see what fits better. I started with a VFG, didn't care for it. Switched over to an AFG, and haven't taken it off since.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    I had a VFG and hated the extra swing when transitioning to targets. I also have a AFG. I like it but found that I feel more comfortable rolling my thumb over the top of the hand guard so I switched to a hand stop. I like the set up now.

What do you mean by extra swing?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Take unloaded rifle and aim at distant (25+ yards) transition to another target roughly same distance and reaquire sight picture. Then try it with an AFG. It will be faster with the AFG.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Depends on the training you had. Me personally find VFG is a little top heavy for me (If I grab it like a pistol grip), when switching target side to side I can over swing the muzzle.

I shoot pistol more often than AR. I will use AFG just like how I hold my pistol, thumb forward to gain top weight control. It is easier for me to control a firearm with the same/similar motor skills as pistol which I practice more.

Blackstar65

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2010
    What do you mean by extra swing?

When moving from left to right or vice versa I found that sometimes because of momentum I swung past the center of my center mass aiming point. I know more training with that set up would have fixed it but It was a comfortable shooting position for me either.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    When moving from left to right or vice versa I found that sometimes because of momentum I swung past the center of my center mass aiming point. I know more training with that set up would have fixed it but It was a comfortable shooting position for me either.

Were you gripping the vertical grip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom