• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Well, I guess what is considered LR in the .22lr world is somewhat subjective, but today it was 300 yards. I’ve tried my hand at 400, but the wind had better be dead calm or it’s a waste of ammo and today it was 3-8 mph by my estimation. Today’s goal was to run the 3 plate rack in 3 successive shots. The plates are 8”, 6”, and 4” I think. I’ll throw up a picture with my hand on the smallest for perspective I don’t have a ruler.

So the challenge rules I set for myself were:
    5 shots for zero and wind correction, and then 3 consecutive shots on the smaller plates.

Attempt 1 with CCI standard.
    3 shots on the big plate and 2 no impact or spot. CCI is not going to get it done.

Attempt 2 with Eley Team

5 shots on the big plate and a pretty good read on zero.
    Shot 1 dead center of the big plate. I’m feeling good.
    Shot 2 just barely caught the top edge, but I’m surprised I’m still in the game.
    Shot 3 I wait and wait for a lull in the wind and let it fly. Impact! And not a bad one at that.

Now just give some perspective on how frustrating 300 yard 22lr can be, I took 5 shoots after without waiting for the wind and didn’t hit the smallest plate on any of them.

Well that wrapped up the hour I had to shoot so I didn’t get to try it with Eley Match, but it was definitely a fun evening on the range.
    This is the third time I’ve attempted this and I’ve never had consistent enough results to even make the attempt. IMG_3603.jpeg IMG_3607.jpeg IMG_3602.jpeg IMG_3600.jpeg

Rifle is a B14-R with an Arken scope, 20moa rail and Harris bipod. Rifle is stock.

IMG_3604.jpeg

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    CCI Standard is a big jump below any brand target ammo. Have you shot Standard at 100?
    My 10/22 shoots it very well and it’s relatively cheap and easy to find. I’ve shot sub moa 5 shot groups at 100 with it out of this rifle. I’ve shot just about every brand of premium ammo available in the Bergara. It likes the Eley stuff much better than the Lapua or SK.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Damn man, I should have called out sick today and gone up. That looks awesome. Honestly, I was just stoked that I could hit the little gong at 100yds last time. Nice shootin!

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Just an FYI - Salisbury Gun Club hosted a 22LR rimfire "Long Gong" competition on 2/17. Three targets, I believe 8"-6" and 4" at 300 yards - different points for the different sizes. Someone who attended the 2/17 match can provide more details, but I believe there was at least 2 classes. I'm not sure if this will be a regular match or just a one-off.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Just an FYI - Salisbury Gun Club hosted a 22LR rimfire "Long Gong" competition on 2/17. Three targets, I believe 8"-6" and 4" at 300 yards - different points for the different sizes. Someone who attended the 2/17 match can provide more details, but I believe there was at least 2 classes. I'm not sure if this will be a regular match or just a one-off.
    I’ve been trying to get to one of the Br competitions. Twice I had the whole thing planned and took off work, but with 5 kids and endless sports something always comes up. I’ll keep an eye out and give it a go if they do it again.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    Long range 22 lr is a blast. If the wind is calm, 500 on a larger plate is pretty doable. Waiting for a calm day to try 600. Hoping that they start doing ELR matches after MARS/PRS matches more regularly at Mayberry and SPSS and a few other spots that can do it.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Long range 22 lr is a blast. If the wind is calm, 500 on a larger plate is pretty doable. Waiting for a calm day to try 600. Hoping that they start doing ELR matches after MARS/PRS matches more regularly at Mayberry and SPSS and a few other spots that can do it.
    The next calm day I’ll push it out to 400 on the same size rack. My issue is finding a solid drop chart for anything past 300 yards.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    I feel spoiled because I can shoot 400 whenever I want. Where are you shooting 600 with a rimfire?

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Are they shooting off Br rests with flags all the way out to 300?

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    If I pay attention I can hit an 8" plate at 100 yards with my Ruger Competition 6-7/8" barrel. You here "Pop!.........ping!". It's pretty wild how slowly the bullet flies.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    If I pay attention I can hit an 8" plate at 100 yards with my Ruger Competition 6-7/8" barrel. You here "Pop!.........ping!". It's pretty wild how slowly the bullet flies.
    At 300 you can watch the bullet in the scope, see the impact and count to two before you hear the impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom