• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    Does any one have one of these for a Mec press? I am curious whether it is beneficial or not. I would be interested in one if it saved me from buying all of the different bushing's and bars, but not if it is a major PITA or a piece of crap. I would be interested in hearing someone's field review on this thing.

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    Yeah, it seems like the right idea but also has the potential to really be aggravating or a major POS. If it saves me from ordering a new bushing every time I make a new recipe or stacking up charge bars, it would be worth it.

gregaarms

Machinist Junkie
    Feb 18, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have one on my MEC Sizemaster. I personally love it. The micrometer adjustments make it easy to fine tune the powder charge and the shot weight. I have a log book for all the adjustments for various powders and shot weights. Its a lot easier to just change out the bushing on a stock charge bar but sometimes the weight of the charge might be in between the weight that I want. (ex. one bushing will throw 18.0 and the next size bushing will throw 18.5 when im looking for 18.2.) In my mind its worth the $$. It is a little bit of a challenge to get it set up. But once you get the hang of it I'm sure you will find it beneficial. Just remember to write down the numbers when you get a good load that your happy with. Its nice to just turn the dial instead of taking out the bar when you want to change the shot weight or you want to change a bushing.

If you guys have any questions or need some help setting it up just shoot me a PM. I will be glad to help out any way I can. :beer:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    I bought one several years ago, thinking it would help me to save $$$ on chargbars/bushings.

Using W473AA powder and W571 powder, I NEVER got consistent throws.

I sold that chargebar to a guy on the old rec.guns website for what I paid for it. Good riddance.

IMNSHO, those universal chargebars are POS.:tdown::tdown:

bulabula

Nov 27, 2007
    Millersville, MD
    I've got 5 MEC loaders for 4 gauges and never felt the need for an adjustable charge bar. Buying an extra bar didn't bother me. I simply keep track of the bushing numbers for reloading shotgun ammo and not quibble over a .3 ish variation.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    I have an adjustable bar and love it. Not only will it let you fine tune the powder load, the payload as well. Example, 1 oz of 9 shot doesn't take up as much space as 1 oz of 5 shot.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I had one and found it to be a pain in the ass to change or keep set. I sold it.
    Other people swear by them instead of at them though so try it if you want to go that route.
    I have 5 or 6 bars and lord knows how many MEC bushings.
    I do love the bushing for the PW Hornady RCBS Spolar presses to hold MEC powder bushings though, it's nice to only need 1 set of bushings.

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    So I guess all a matter of preference? Seems like if you want dead on numbers and don't mind taking a little extra time, then it's the ticket. It would be nice to not have to buy all the different bars and bushings. I like doing it more for a hobby than anything else. I enjoy the process so I may grab one.

byf43

I've come to the conclusion that for the loads I make, the powder I use, with the charges that I throw, the 1-1/8 oz chargebar, the 1-1/2 oz chargebar, along with the #30 MEC bushing is what I need.

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    1040. The problem that I have is that I am changing recipes whenever I have to get new components due to the fact that it is cleaned off the shelf as soon as a new order comes in. Also, I haven't been reloading long enough to have found THE recipe. I have a feeling that I will be trying new recipes quite often out of interest.

gregaarms

Machinist Junkie
    Feb 18, 2013
    Calvert County
    I have an adjustable bar and love it. Not only will it let you fine tune the powder load, the payload as well. Example, 1 oz of 9 shot doesn't take up as much space as 1 oz of 5 shot.

:thumbsup:

Give it a try. The universal charge bar made it easy for me to find my perfect load. If you don't like it you can always put it up for sale. Hell, if you don't like it I will buy it off you for the MEC9000 I'm fixing up that I found at a yard sale. :D

Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I have one and it is great, once you set it it has allen screws to lock it into place. Its easy to operate and very accurate and consistant. It also comes with a powder baffle system to help prevent clumping.

basshound86

May 6, 2012
    new market
    Well. I got one and so far have only ran 25 rounds through it. So far the verdict is just as I knew it was going to be. Takes a lot longer to set up and adjust but I don't have to swap anything out or buy a stockpile of bushings and bars. The set up and running averages is a little bit of a pita but manageable. I installed the powder baffle and am not so sure about it because it seems to cause some inconsistencies in the drops. I may wind up yanking it off and trying without it. Anyone have any thoughts.

byf43

Anyone have any thoughts.

The PITA set-up and the inconsistencies are why I got rid of mine.

For me, buying/having the 1 oz., 1-1/8 oz., 1-1/4 oz., and the 1-1/2 oz chargebars are a LOT faster than adjusting the single bar for 2-3/4" shells.
    I also have a 2 oz bar for when I loaded #2 copperplate (3" shells) for geese in the very early '80s (before it was banned).

Dropping a #28, 29, 30, 31 or 32 powder bushing is faster and with the powder than I use, very consistent.

I wish you nothing but luck with the adjustable bar.

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    The theory of the powder baffle is that only the column of powder below the baffle has an effect on the density of the charge- it doesn't matter whether there is a full reservoir or it is almost empty above the baffle.
    I use them in my Dillon because they come with the measures, and have never tried them without.
    I would be interested to hear other considered opinions.
    I have just gotten a MEC 600 and will be interested in your experience with the adjustable bar.
    DocAitch

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom