• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Even though my current vehicle gun is a 9mm carbine, I think if you have the space you should choose a rifle caliber for the ability to defeat soft armor.
    And remember the laws of transporting rifles vs pistols. (Excepting those of us with ccw)

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Was up in Pennsylvania over the Thanksgiving Day holiday, and decided to bring the FiveSeven pistol with 3 x 20-rd mags of hot loaded commercial ammo. Not an SBR, but extremely light and capable.

For everyday in MD (where permitted) and longer out of state trips, am probably switching to the 300 BLK carbine (swapping on a red dot) vs the 5.56 carbine. For out of state, this is supplemented with the FiveSeven.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    My biggest problem with this is stowing it in a vehicle.

I'm not lugging a rifle back and fourth into my house, into work, into the grocery store, etc. every day.

There are some SBR's that can fit nicely in some small bags but again I'm not lugging it around all the time.

And a rifle or whatever in a car is pretty useless if you happen to find yourself in a situation.

There are some nice locks and concealment options for vehicles but costs becomes an issue when there are 3 vehicles one drives.

If I could overcome the stowing it in the car issue I'd opt for a Mini-14/30 or Saiga 7.62x39

Iron sights, capable rounds, inexpensive to replace, and doesn't scream "assault weapon" like a AR-15 does.

Honestly since I'm mostly with my family if I had the chance to run away to my vehicle I'm probably leaving the scene not going to go back into a zone with a long gun as police are arriving.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I'm take a spare "laptop" bag home soon and going to see if my MPX will fit in it. Its padded and has room for spare mags as well

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Was up in Pennsylvania over the Thanksgiving Day holiday, and decided to bring the FiveSeven pistol with 3 x 20-rd mags of hot loaded commercial ammo. Not an SBR, but extremely light and capable.

For everyday in MD (where permitted) and longer out of state trips, am probably switching to the 300 BLK carbine (swapping on a red dot) vs the 5.56 carbine. For out of state, this is supplemented with the FiveSeven.

Hmm. I like this idea for CCW. That 5.7 round is a cool choice for active shooter reaponse

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County

Hmm. I like this idea for CCW. That 5.7 round is a cool choice for active shooter reaponse
    My response to the Aurora theater massacre. Took my older boy to the late night opening of Batman in Frederick that night, and the next morn, I learned news of the shooting in Colorado during the opening out there. Researched what pistols that I would want in this situation if there was no escape, decided on the FiveSeven, and made my first firearm purchase.

Then I discovered the near impossibility for ordinary citizens to get a concealed carry permit in MD, lol. So I got my Utah non resident permit (within a couple of months of the pistol) and joined MSI.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    Not a big Pincus fan. But, I think people are really taking what he's saying and running with it. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but he is specifically talking about cops and security guards, presumably in uniform, not Joe Citizen. General consensus from cops I've talked to is that, if they respond to an active shooter call and roll up on a civilian with a rifle, then if that civvie doesn't also see them and drop that rifle like a hot potato, they'll be ventilated.

Having said that, I don't think there are any specific items an "active shooter response rifle", or whatever Pincus calls it, should have vs. any other "defensive" rifle. Optic, BUIS, sling. Where's his light?!!!!!!! What if he has to chase shooter into a darkened building, or the shooting takes place at night????

I do like the idea of the variable scope, as police have sometimes had to engage at distance (University of Texas way back when, North Hollywood shootout, etc), but a red dot is probably more rugged for the back of a car, more idiot proof, and if I can make good torso hits on steel at 300 yds out of a 10.5 in SBR, that should be enough accuracy.

In short, Pincus is no God and is clearly just looking for crap to talk about.

jmira

VA Rocks.
    Mar 25, 2009
    Alexandria, VA
    I think I'm going to have a rifle duracoated pink and white.. so when I get shot by the cops for trying to help, they can say that I had a hello kitty assault rifle on TV..

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    2A, Duffy's, and Engage are IPs that might carry at times. If interested, should hit the WTB subforum which IPs will respond to. 20 rd mags can be obtained out of state for approx $35/each. There is a 30 rd third party option too. I've never had any hiccup with the gun whatsoever. Ultrareliable.

Note the KelTec PMR-30 is another option with 30-rd mags of 22 Mag. Unlike the FiveSeven, it won't penetrate level IIIa body armor. However it's about $650 cheaper, and has a carbine companion, the CMR-30, that takes the same mags. As per the question in this thread, the carbine with a red dot might be a potent trunk gun in MD for an emergency situation.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    I choose the Kinetic Interactive Containment Killer Active Shooter System.

You know, a K.I.C.K.A.S.S firearm, which is any firearm I happen to have within reach.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My response to the Aurora theater massacre. Took my older boy to the late night opening of Batman in Frederick that night, and the next morn, I learned news of the shooting in Colorado during the opening out there. Researched what pistols that I would want in this situation if there was no escape, decided on the FiveSeven, and made my first firearm purchase.

Then I discovered the near impossibility for ordinary citizens to get a concealed carry permit in MD, lol. So I got my Utah non resident permit (within a couple of months of the pistol) and joined MSI.

I did a similar thing.

How about we allow people to defend themselves? Novel thought eh?

We could call it a Universal Security Appliance or USA for short.

Need a better word for the "A"; maybe apparatus?

Maybe safety better word than security?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I know citizens have stopped mass shootings, but 99 times out of 100, it will be a concealed carrier with a handgun, not a rifle.

Texas Tower shooting.

First person to respond with fire to get the sniper to put his head down and stop shooting people used a Garand. He was a HiPower shooter who had his rifle in his trunk.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Really a 3-gun rifle with a 14.5" barrel and an assault entry type stock. Needs to be shorter that normal, with a shorter stock for clearing a building. That size barrel can still score consecutive hits at 300 yards. I have 4 ARs, 1-14.5", 1-16", 1-18", and 1-20" in a heavier caliber. The middle 2 are 3-gun rifles while the short one is my HD rifle.

I would say even shorter if you can.

Especially after my carbine class and having long guns around cars. :)

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    One thing to consider is that short of 300 Win Mag none of those heavier slower calibers will penetrate Class III AR500 body armor, but ordinary 55g NATO 5.56 will (62g green tips won't which is why the government is dumping them).

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One thing to consider is that short of 300 Win Mag none of those heavier slower calibers will penetrate Class III AR500 body armor, but ordinary 55g NATO 5.56 will (62g green tips won't which is why the government is dumping them).

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

Huh?

55 gr FMJ will penetrate and 62 gr penetrator will not?????? 55 gr does not penetrate AR500. It doesn't even make any impression. M855 pockmarks AR500.

The mil is dropping the M855 because of soft target terminal ballistics, not due to penetration issues. It penetrates what it is supposed to penetrate (ballistic helmet at some yards). But many times it fails to yaw when hitting a soft target. Then it makes a small hole and does not stop the target.

M855A1 both penetrates and has better soft target terminal ballistics (it always yaws when hitting soft targets).

M262 and similar performs very well on soft targets, but does not penetrate as well. But for current times, penetration is not an issue.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    General consensus from cops I've talked to is that, if they respond to an active shooter call and roll up on a civilian with a rifle, then if that civvie doesn't also see them and drop that rifle like a hot potato, they'll be ventilated. .....

a red dot is probably more rugged for the back of a car, more idiot proof, and if I can make good torso hits on steel at 300 yds out of a 10.5 in SBR, that should be enough accuracy.

In short, Pincus is no God and is clearly just looking for crap to talk about.
    There is so much common sense in this post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom