• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATTom

Aug 17, 2010
    I was thinking of getting a TA33. I can't decide if to get the chevron or the horseshoe and dot. Which do you prefer and why?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    TA01NSN, back up irons on top, crosshair reticle with bullet drop compensator, and amber glowing reticle. hell YEAUH

JeepDriver

Self confessed gun snob
    Aug 28, 2006
    White Marsh
    TA33 with the Horseshoe

Of my 3 ACOG's (TA31F, TA01-NSN & TA33G-H) the TA33 is the fastest up close and still works well at distance.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    TA33GH.

I'm not putting 5 shots touching each other at 100 yards with my optic/rifle/ability.

However....I wouldnt want to be on the other end of my weapon system.

Accurate for what they were desgiend to be.

Tconfo

Ultimate Member
    Nov 6, 2008
    Harford County
    I want one sooooo bad. After I find the right upper, I will have the same dillema. But it always happens with these high end optics. Ill go in to the store browsing with the intent to buy one and then WHAM! Oh theres the gun I had my eye on for a couple of years in stock and on sale or a great deal on ammo I just cant pass up. FML, the optic will have to wait again. Is there a group for people with these types of sickness I have? Sort of like AA but with spontaneous buys?

dneidFIST

Mar 14, 2011
    Columbia
    Had one on my service rifle. Not sure which model exactly but it had the red chevron and I LOVED it. If/when I get an ACOG I will definitely be getting one of the ones with the red chevron. Never tried the horseshoe model but I personally would recommend the red chevron after using that one for a year. A few guys had the model with the crosshairs but I didn't really like it - way to much clutter on a scope like that. It looks cool, yeah, but it obscures a lot of the target area.

BRASS

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 29, 2012
    Had one on my service rifle. Not sure which model exactly but it had the red chevron and I LOVED it. If/when I get an ACOG I will definitely be getting one of the ones with the red chevron. Never tried the horseshoe model but I personally would recommend the red chevron after using that one for a year. A few guys had the model with the crosshairs but I didn't really like it - way to much clutter on a scope like that. It looks cool, yeah, but it obscures a lot of the target area.

How can you say the crosshairs are more clutter than the chevron? I have looked at both of these online and the traditional crosshair appears far simpler.

BRASS

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 29, 2012
    TA11J

Daytime and Low Light illuminated color crosshair with 1000 meter bullet drop. 3.5 power

I am looking at this scope. What gun do you have it on? I am perplexed by all the comments on this thread and no one is saying what platforms they have these optics on.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    How can you say the crosshairs are more clutter than the chevron? I have looked at both of these online and the traditional crosshair appears far simpler.

Well, we all know that if you looked at it online you have a great first hand experience with it. Just kidding, sort of.

BRASS

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 29, 2012
    Well, we all know that if you looked at it online you have a great first hand experience with it. Just kidding, sort of.

Fair enough; but care to elaborate? I wouldn't think online you see cross hairs, but in practice it's circus clowns.

Onua

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2008
    Carroll County
    Fair enough; but care to elaborate? I wouldn't think online you see cross hairs, but in practice it's circus clowns.

actually I have liked the look of the reticles on several of the ACOGS when viewed online (with the pretty white uncluttered background) and after actually handling a rifle with the same scope/reticle in a "real world" background have decided I didn't really like it as much. YMMV

BRASS

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 29, 2012
    I don't know. I've been looking through various brand cross hair scopes for the last 20 some years and I don't know why the view through Trijicon cross hair scopes would seem "cluttered."

Dogabutila

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2010
    I'm not good at crosshairs so take it fwiw. Crosshairs get lost more easily in backgrounds then RDS or holo type optics do. They are fine for hunting or range time imo. Hunting you generally have time to make the shot you want and the backgrounds are such that the crosshairs don't get lost or blend in as well. If you're running a mout or industrial park or something though, the background colors are such that the crosshair color is more likely to blend in, as well as there being "natural" straight lines in the AO. Makes it harder to pick up crosshairs. Which, if you think about it makes perfect sense because this is the exact reason that people came up with the idea of RDS.

Then, there's different applications. Are you into precision shooting / hunting? Crosshairs are probably better because they give you the fine accuracy you need. The "clutter" for windage and drop compensators are fine for these applications because you just want to make the hit on target, everything else is secondary really. In a combat optic you just want to be able to match the dot on the target and have the rest of it be a clear field of view so you can see other things happening.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have a TA31 w/ the Red Chevron and really like it. However, if I was to buy another one I would go with the 3.5x TA011 instead as the eye relief is significantly better.

A friend of mine has the green chevron and at times it can be really difficult to locate on the target.

82c4dd2c.jpg

nyc71

May 14, 2012
    I have the TA11H red horseshoe, I'm debating between a TA33G or a T1 for my next purchase.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346043311.260890.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom