About to buy a Henry Survival, talk me out of it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    It's alright. I'll hold onto it. I just haven't shot it in a year. I have a lot of toys of the .22lr flavor.

Get a cheap red dot for it. The sights really do suck.

I've had mine for about two years and never adjusted the sights. It hit what I aimed at out of the box. And I've never had a problem with ammunition. Maybe I was just lucky. I haven't tried to verify how long it floats.

AlpineDude67

Feb 17, 2013
    I thought about getting one. The idea is cool. A takedown 10/22 is a fair bit more money but also more gun. There are not a lot of scenarios where you would rather have the Henry over the 10/22 takedown but for backpacking when weight matters or a marine environment maybe. Or just because you don't want to spend the $$ on the takedown.

I heard the older ones were a lot more rough than the Henry version. That Henry had improved the reliability a fair bit. Interesting to hear whether the bad experiences some have had are with the older ones or the newer variants.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I thought about getting one. The idea is cool. A takedown 10/22 is a fair bit more money but also more gun. There are not a lot of scenarios where you would rather have the Henry over the 10/22 takedown but for backpacking when weight matters or a marine environment maybe. Or just because you don't want to spend the $$ on the takedown.

I heard the older ones were a lot more rough than the Henry version. That Henry had improved the reliability a fair bit. Interesting to hear whether the bad experiences some have had are with the older ones or the newer variants.

The Henry packs more compactly than the Papoose or 10/22. Though honestly not compact enough in my opinion. I wish someone would make a truly packable semi or lever pack gun. Flattish stock, thin semi action, a tube feet makes more sense as its easy to keep inline to the gun. It wouldn't be that hard, even adapting existing patterns. Its not just an issue of weight but of volume.

The Israeli survival rifle came real close, would love to find one someday.

WAR-7Open.jpg

http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=2212.0

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    A friend had the Charter Arms AR7 back in the 80s. After it had been fired about 300 or 400 times, it became extremely unreliable. Jammed more often than it fired. As I recall from those days, many other owners experienced the same thing.

I woudn't buy one made by Henry or anyone else unless it was proven to be better quality and more reliable than earlier versions.

If you can live with a single shot, how about one of these?

Attachments

• Chiappa-Little-Badger-1.jpg
      Chiappa-Little-Badger-1.jpg
      17.1 KB · Views: 594

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    A friend had the Charter Arms AR7 back in the 80s. After it had been fired about 300 or 400 times, it became extremely unreliable. Jammed more often than it fired. As I recall from those days, many other owners experienced the same thing.

I woudn't buy one made by Henry or anyone else unless it was proven to be better quality and more reliable than earlier versions.

If you can live with a single shot, how about one of these?

I have the little badgers (.22LR and .22Mag) , its already but a real pain to shoot. Its a back of the 4 wheeler or behind the Jeep seat trail gun. Extracts but doesn't eject so loading is very slow, sights are course, still haven't spent enough time behind it to dial it in. My .22 mag version is still in the grease. I actually haven't dived in on a .17 HMR version because they are suck a pain to shoot. That said, its light, simple and packs flat, especially with a replacement takedown screw.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    The Henry packs more compactly than the Papoose or 10/22. Though honestly not compact enough in my opinion. I wish someone would make a truly packable semi or lever pack gun. Flattish stock, thin semi action, a tube feet makes more sense as its easy to keep inline to the gun. It wouldn't be that hard, even adapting existing patterns. Its not just an issue of weight but of volume.

Kel-Tec SUB-2000
    http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/sub-2000/rifle/

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008

They are nice and I have been known to use my Sub2ks in that role though they are not idea. To that point this is a perfect opportunity for Kel-tec to make a downsized survival rifle in rimfire, sort of a thin ultra light Sub2k.

I always though the PMR in carbine with an inline collapsible stock could fill those role nicely. .22 mag is a bit of an oddball but with its enhanced punch without much more weight per cartridge its a good choice for a survival round.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    I have the little badgers (.22LR and .22Mag) , its already but a real pain to shoot. Its a back of the 4 wheeler or behind the Jeep seat trail gun. Extracts but doesn't eject so loading is very slow, sights are course, still haven't spent enough time behind it to dial it in. My .22 mag version is still in the grease. I actually haven't dived in on a .17 HMR version because they are suck a pain to shoot. That said, its light, simple and packs flat, especially with a replacement takedown screw.

I dunno, I have the 22LR and think it's kind of fun to shoot. I wish the sights were metal instead of plastic but they do give a pretty good sight picture for me, though you are right about the coarse adjustment intervals.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I've had mine for about two years and never adjusted the sights. It hit what I aimed at out of the box. And I've never had a problem with ammunition. Maybe I was just lucky. I haven't tried to verify how long it floats.

The first time I shot mine, the front sight came out of the dovetail. Put a cheapo red dot on it and it hit where I aimed.

It's not that I don't like it, I just own others I like more

Don H

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    Hazzard County
    The first time I shot mine, the front sight came out of the dovetail. Put a cheapo red dot on it and it hit where I aimed.

It's not that I don't like it, I just own others I like more

Same here, sight fell out, sent it back, same problem. I ended up putting Locktite on the site to hold it in place. Also FTF constantly, sent back again, came back fixed but the stock was broke inside where the parts go. Sent back again and was returned repaired.

What a lemon, I felt like painting the thing yellow. I wouldn't buy another gun from them.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    Dicks has one on sale for $229.99 and I have a $20 off $100 they said they would accept making it $209.99+tax. Seems like a good price for a gun that seems real neat to me but somewhat of an impulse buy.

And as an aside, I sold my 10/22 in favor of my Remington 597 so I have those two out of my system.

Can anyone talk me out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm surprised Dicks accepted that coupon towards a firearm. The fine print on the back says it's not good for firearms or ammo as well as about a hundred other products they sell. What the big print givith, the small print taketh away.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I dunno, I have the 22LR and think it's kind of fun to shoot. I wish the sights were metal instead of plastic but they do give a pretty good sight picture for me, though you are right about the coarse adjustment intervals.

Ya not being overly critical, what does one expect for a $130 gun. Its really a nice package overall, just wish it would eject. The other issue is all singleshots, if you are using it as a survival gun you may just need a fast follow-up or dinner wont be in the pot. A light pump action or a semi action is ideal.

I always thought the Winchester Gallery gun could be pretty easily modified into a great camp gun, most are takedown already. Just some weight saving measures and a fat stock............

Mike96ZJ

Mar 1, 2009
    California, MD
    I still feel like the Henry Survival Rifle was designed for leftys. They should have set the stock up differently. It's awkward to shoot.

Sure it's neat, but I don't think I'd own one. I have a 10/22 takedown and love it. A little more bulky than the Henry but it always works.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Get the Henry lever-action carbine. Inexpensive, buttery-smooth action, very accurate, eats any ammo you feed it, and (huge plus) no magazines to drop, step on, lose, etc. The tube mag is fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Drake1990$

Latest threads

Top Bottom