• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SomeGuy

Jan 19, 2013
    Severna Park
    So if you manage to inherit one - you are Ok, but it does require a decedent. Any one have thoughts about gifting of 'assault weapons', from someone out of state, works under this - or do I really have to wait for someone in the family to die ?

"the receipt of an assault [pistol] WEAPON or detachable magazine by inheritance, AND POSSESSION OF THE INHERITED ASSAULT WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault [pistol] WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND THE PERSON INHERITING THE ASSAULT WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE IS NOT OTHERWISE DISQUALIFIED FROM POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM;"

Forthefunofit

Mar 25, 2013
    Ridgely, MD
    Whats illegal?

The way I read the law- an AR15, with a ten round mag, a collapsable stock (not folding) and a pinned surpressor would be a legal (non copycat weapon). It would also not be illegal to have a 30 magazine if you already owned it. I wouldn't have a problem with this weapon.

Am I misconstruing the verbage???:D

CATMdude

I like turtles
    Dec 29, 2012
    Frederick
    The way I read the law- an AR15, with a ten round mag, a collapsable stock (not folding) and a pinned surpressor would be a legal (non copycat weapon). It would also not be illegal to have a 30 magazine if you already owned it. I wouldn't have a problem with this weapon.

The AR-15 will be banned by name (except Colt Sporter HBAR) after Oct. 1.

Forthefunofit

Mar 25, 2013
    Ridgely, MD
    whats the purpose?

:sad20::sad20:Then why are there specific ways to identify copycats in the bill?? Paint it purple and call it a RWR-10 "Ravens whisper Rifle 10 shot" I guess my problem with the bill is the vagueness of the wording. What makes a gun an AR-15??? Could a simple modification be made and rename it to make it not covered? I guess the gun manufacturers are already working on this. By definition isn't an AR mil spec, so a commercial version should not technically be an AR-15, it would be a copycat if it satisfies the copycat parameters-mine did not.

Forthefunofit

Mar 25, 2013
    Ridgely, MD
    Presents for Dad!

So if you manage to inherit one - you are Ok, but it does require a decedent. Any one have thoughts about gifting of 'assault weapons', from someone out of state, works under this - or do I really have to wait for someone in the family to die ?

"the receipt of an assault [pistol] WEAPON or detachable magazine by inheritance, AND POSSESSION OF THE INHERITED ASSAULT WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE, if the decedent lawfully possessed the assault [pistol] WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND THE PERSON INHERITING THE ASSAULT WEAPON OR DETACHABLE MAGAZINE IS NOT OTHERWISE DISQUALIFIED FROM POSSESSING A REGULATED FIREARM;"

I guess I will be traveling to Florida to pay for my dad to buy all the guns I can't afford right now so I may receive them some day.:lol:

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    It's an HBAR. With evil features I think I do. Not 100% sure though.

No. There is no required registration of any previously owned firearms in the bill at all. Partially, that's because the MSP already has a registry of all of the legally owned regulated firearms in the state. An HBAR, if it was transferred cash and carry, is not registered with the state at this point, and you will not be required to register it, either.

Yes, you are.

:sad20::sad20:Then why are there specific ways to identify copycats in the bill?? Paint it purple and call it a RWR-10 "Ravens whisper Rifle 10 shot" I guess my problem with the bill is the vagueness of the wording. What makes a gun an AR-15??? Could a simple modification be made and rename it to make it not covered? I guess the gun manufacturers are already working on this. By definition isn't an AR mil spec, so a commercial version should not technically be an AR-15, it would be a copycat if it satisfies the copycat parameters-mine did not.

There are specific ways to identify "copycats" in the bill because they wanted a "catch all" to ban weapons that were not specifically named in the old regulated weapons (now banned weapons) list. They also wanted to get around people saying, "but this isn't an AR15, it's a RWR15!" and that type of thing. Fortunately or unfortnately they decided to do this by the old "evil features" list instead of getting into the particulars of the operating system of the arm in question.

The way the bill reads, a centerfire rifle is banned if it meets any of these three tests:
    1) it has a FIXED magazine capable of holding more than 10 rounds.
    2) it has an overall length of less than 29 inches
    3) has a "detachable magazine" and at least two of the following three attributes: (i) folding stock, (ii) grenade or flare launcher, or (iii) flash suppressor. ("Flash suppressor" is defined on page 11 of the bill.

SomeGuy

Jan 19, 2013
    Severna Park
    “FLASH SUPPRESSOR” MEANS A DEVICE THAT FUNCTIONS, OR IS INTENDED TO FUNCTION, TO PERCEPTIBLY REDUCE OR REDIRECT MUZZLE FLASH FROM THE SHOOTER’S FIELD OF VISION.

Anything on the gun, that is between the shooter's eye and the muzzle flash is, by law, a flash suppressor. Sights, rails, lights, scopes, stocks, slides, trigger guards, safety actuators, and even flash suppressors all reduce muzzle flash perceptibly. An excellent argument can be made that the outer diameter of the barrel itself reduces muzzle flash, if the barrel is any thicker than it absolutely must be in order for the gun to function.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Building an 80% lower after 10/1 isn't going to bypass the ban. You'll either be possessing one illegally, or you'll only be able to build an HBAR with it, depending on AG interpretation. Manufacture is prohibited along with buy/sell/transfer.

Only helps if your dealer has it before October 1, as has been discussed previously in this thread.

You can feel free to go to jail. It always amuses me to see the civil disobedience crowd talk a big game, and then hide in their basements or go silent when it's time to put up or shut up.

Also, MDS policy is clear: we do not condone or promote illegal acts here. "Just ignore the law" is not acceptable.

Where is "manufacture" defined in the law? My understanding was "manufacture" was create with intent to transfer/sell. If this definition is correct, then "manufacture" would not apply to home builds if one does not have the intent to transfer/sell.

Also, I thought the regulated/soon-to-be-banned dealt with POSSESSION, not merely transfer. Is this correct? If so, then an 80% lower machined into an AR-15 receiver would fall under the POSSESSION and not manufacture. Which means, by the law, such a thing would be illegal to POSSESS.

Now, what if it were machined into an HBAR? HBAR's are non-regulated. (Yes, I know some point to the language as reading Colt HBAR), but the MSP has been letting many (all?) other HBAR's go through as un-regulated.

This 80% lower, machined into an HBAR is my biggest question. Has anyone seen any guidance on this issue?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Also, I thought the regulated/soon-to-be-banned dealt with POSSESSION, not merely transfer. Is this correct? If so, then an 80% lower machined into an AR-15 receiver would fall under the POSSESSION and not manufacture. Which means, by the law, such a thing would be illegal to POSSESS.

You are incorrect. The law bans transfer, NOT possession, of the "banned" firearms.

This 80% lower, machined into an HBAR is my biggest question. Has anyone seen any guidance on this issue?

IANAL and everything, but if you made an 80% into an HBAR rifle, it should be perfectly legal, as you are not "manufacturing" a new banned weapon. (That's IF making for personal use constitutes manufacturing. I would read that it does, right now, out of caution.)

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    You are incorrect. The law bans transfer, NOT possession, of the "banned" firearms.
    You are absolutely wrong here. The law does explicitly ban possession. The only reason we can hang on to our pre-ban guns is because of the grandfathering clause.

The amount of terrible advice people are giving on MDS is staggering, and I hope someone from MSI works to get us clarification before a bunch of people get nailed for dubious "workarounds".

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    Y:cool:

Rifle could have been resold an infinite amount of times in PA. Or other states if the current owner moved. None of which require a single shred of paperwork.

True. But as a Md. resident you can only legally purchase firearms in Pa. through a licensed dealer who has to do the PICS check.

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012
    If guns means that much to you, don't move to this God-forsaken state; seriously.

I have a list of states I would never, ever, under any circumstances, for any reason, for any amount of money, live in. With the passing of the attempt at an AWB, once I leave this state, it will go on that list.

California, New York, Illinois, Hawaii, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Colorado, Rhode Island, Michigan, and now Maryland.

Am I a single issue voter? You bet I am. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    What about the web sites that sell the lowers that is only 80% compete. At 80% they are not a lower just yet. They do not become a lower until you complete building them. I hear they are easy to complete and you would be the manufacture. You can't sell the gun but I think you can own the gun for your on use.

Thought?

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    What about the web sites that sell the lowers that is only 80% compete. At 80% they are not a lower just yet. They do not become a lower until you complete building them. I hear they are easy to complete and you would be the manufacture. You can't sell the gun but I think you can own the gun for your on use.

Thought?

If it's after the ban, and you build it into a copy of a named rifle (AR15), or a non-named rifle that meets the "copycat" definition it's illegal.

My personal non lawyer feeling is you'd be more covered with pre purchased (registered) lowers.

chsnprodigy

Dec 24, 2012

Thought?

Merlin, read the prior 4 pages. The 80% thing has been getting discussed page after page. I personlly dont think the new bill correctly captures/ or doesnt capture 80% lowers. And as a machinist I have already been searching for "training projects." I wish we could get a lawyers take on the 80% lower thing.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tyreseveronica

Latest threads

Top Bottom