• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    All,

I have spotted a unicorn in Maryland. And captured it for myself.

Two years ago I began planning to get into long range shooting. So I started to custom build a rifle around a Remington 700 action for F-Class TR. One of the things I wanted was an upgraded stock that was heavier and comfortable to shoot from.

So I went with a JAE-700 from J. Allen Enterprises. I placed the order in January 2013.

Two years later, I can finally say I have my own personal unicorn. Creature of legend, beautiful, graceful, pictures everywhere but no one has seen or touched one.

Until now.

This chassis is a work of art. Most of it is one solid piece of aluminum. The skins are bonded so well if there is a seam, I can't find it. Accepts AICS magazines, detachable cheekrest for cleaning and goes back on in the exact same place.

Photos attached of the work in progress. Looking forward to getting this to the range and getting load development started!

Attachments

• 100_1387.jpg
      100_1387.jpg
      62.7 KB · Views: 467
    • 100_1349.jpg
      100_1349.jpg
      53.3 KB · Views: 459
    Last edited:

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    And the price of this unicorn?? It looks nice, by the way.

You don't want that number but I'll give it to you since you can get it from their website with the options I have.

At 2015 prices, the chassis alone will run you a tad under $1500 shipped. With a two year lead time right now. I did not pay that. I got it at 2013 prices with a SHOT show discount.

This rifle has its own line item on my insurance rider. Weaver glass and rings, 20MOA rail, Harris bipod, Timney trigger, AICS magazines, R700 action, barrel work. It adds up. Fortunately, I've been able to spread the cost over that two year wait.

Matt

FlatsFlite

Aug 6, 2012
    King George, VA
    You should have called me. I could have saved you a lot of time and money. :D

Attachments

• mosin_nagant_with_archangel_fde_stock_pic_1.jpg
      mosin_nagant_with_archangel_fde_stock_pic_1.jpg
      67.8 KB · Views: 419

-Mil-Surp-Phreak-

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2007
    Gaithersburg
    I played with them back when they first made their appearance at SHOT 08 and while I appreciate the attention to details, I would rather have a AICS or other Chasis system that didn't turn out to be almost vaporware.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I played with them back when they first made their appearance at SHOT 08 and while I appreciate the attention to details, I would rather have a AICS or other Chasis system that didn't turn out to be almost vaporware.

I considered an AICS chassis for awhile. Because of the availability issues you cite. Not making excuses for JAE but they were literally overwhelmed with demand. They're a boutique chassis builder and got sucked into the parts demand during the Great Gun Rush.

They were upfront with me when I placed the order in '13. They told me it would be 14-18 months. So its not like I went into this not knowing what I was getting into. Admittedly, I was becoming concerned when the clock hit 20 months and their delivery estimate of when they called me to collect final payment when it was in line for finishing was off by 6 weeks.

These aren't vaporware. Just profoundly rare. They actually moved and expanded to increase their manufacturing capacity last summer which is another reason for the delay. According to Lisa (who you speak to when you call them), they are ramping up and starting to close their backlog. But it is a long backlog.

These are also hand-finished after the base CNC machining. According to JAE, it takes 200 hours to finish one of these. I believe them.

All I can say is it was worth the wait. As you say, they have serious attention to detail. The barrel channel, receiver mounts and magwell are works of art. The feel of the chassis itself is comfortable when you're on the rifle and it has some serious heft to it. They are made buttstock heavy for stability. While I haven't weighed my rifle yet, it feels like it is in the 15 pound range. Currently, two of the top long distance shooters are on JAE now. So they are starting to get a presence.

I will say this: I expect this to turn heads on the line. I suspect there are very few of these floating around anywhere.

Matt

S1gnal

Stereotype breaker
    May 2, 2008
    Central Maryland
    I remember first seeing this in 09 and wanted one. The only place that appeared to carry them was US armorment. But they were always out of stock. Soon realized out of stock meant US Arm never physically had them and was waiting just like everyone else. After a few years and the price rising every year I moved on to an AI. Glad to see you were able to catch "Eleanor". After some range time give some feed back on that cheek riser. It looks a little unforgiving.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom