• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    I hope this question hasn't been beaten to death already, but what's a cheap and easy way to get a sling on a Hawk 982 (870 tactical clone) pump action shotty?

The weapon is bone-stock. Never even been fired. It has a threaded hole in the bottom of the buttstock for a sling swivel, but no obvious equivalent on the business end. What are my options?

Forgive my ignorance about shot guns. This is relatively new territory for me. Thanks in advance! :)

-puncher of tiny holes in far away pieces of paper

spur0701

Dec 31, 2009
    You can put a single point sling attacment on there, like one of these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27139/Product/REM_870_1100_11_87_RECEIVER_MOUNT_SLING_ATTACHMENT

or these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=22515/Product/SHOTGUN_ENDPLATE_SLING_ADAPTER

Or if you want to use a traditional two point sling, you can install a swivel in the stock and for the front end you can use one of these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=..._TECHNOLOGIES_REMINGTON_LEFT_SIDE_SLING_MOUNT

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1581/Product/SHOTGUN_SLING_PLATES

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=12519/Product/REMINGTON_SLING_MOUNT

...or you can get an end cap that has an attachment point or most mag extensions have one.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    excellent! I never considered going 1-point.

it's funny now that I look atthe Remington device that goes on the tube cap, because I was just at PDI the other day and asked Marlin what the heck that metal plate was at the end and he told me it kept your hands from sliding in front of the muzzle. Looks like these guys mount the same way.

Are there any Hawk 982 owners (i know there are more than a few on here) with slings on their gun? Just curious what our members went with.

hole punch

Paper Target Slayer
    Sep 29, 2008
    Washington Co.
    How are you planning to use the sling hole punch?

This is new to me. I want a 2-point I guess. just some way to carry the weapon hands free. I'm not looking to spend much money and I need a sling. Sorry if I'm not up to date on the types of shotgun slings out there. :o

Spot77

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2005
    Anne Arundel County
    I'll probably go 2 point.

For me it's more about just carrying it around the property out in the mountains. I'll never do any tactical fun or training with it outside of maybe a basic defensive shotgun class.

buzzzyy

Big Member
    Nov 6, 2007
    Aspen Hill
    I don't have a sling on mine, but when i get one, it would most likely be a 2pt.

btw, consider replacing the sight adjustment screws with socket head screws.

The little pos slotted screws on mine are all sluted up form me trying to tighten them. they are m4

It's funny now that I look atthe Remington device that goes on the tube cap, because I was just at PDI the other day and asked Marlin what the heck that metal plate was at the end and he told me it kept your hands from sliding in front of the muzzle. Looks like these guys mount the same way.

Mounts the same and also made by WC, but no slot for a sling that was truely a stop for your hand because of the short barrel. That shotgun was set-up strictly for a single point sling to be carried under a long topcoat by those guys with the earbud glued to their ear. :innocent0

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    This is new to me. I want a 2-point I guess. just some way to carry the weapon hands free. I'm not looking to spend much money and I need a sling. Sorry if I'm not up to date on the types of shotgun slings out there. :o

No worries dude, that's why you asked, I can barely keep up with all the new stuff either. With a sling though it is pretty essential to know how you plan to use the sling, whether it's just to keep the gun over your shoulder or whether you plan to train with it for CQB. If I were just going to train occasionally with it and it would be just something to keep over my shoulder then I would recommend a 2 point. If on the other hand I intended it to be a CQB gun and I was training with it a lot then I would probably prefer a single point for it's handling speed and speed to weak side transition. Just my opinions but don't go cheap on the sling and get something that feels comfortable to you, a wider strap and maybe some padding.

No worries dude, that's why you asked, I can barely keep up with all the new stuff either. With a sling though it is pretty essential to know how you plan to use the sling, whether it's just to keep the gun over your shoulder or whether you plan to train with it for CQB. If I were just going to train occasionally with it and it would be just something to keep over my shoulder then I would recommend a 2 point. If on the other hand I intended it to be a CQB gun and I was training with it a lot then I would probably prefer a single point for it's handling speed and speed to weak side transition. Just my opinions but don't go cheap on the sling and get something that feels comfortable to you, a wider strap and maybe some padding.

+1 This :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom