• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Why do we continue to allow gun banners to frame debate rigged in their favor? I enjoy language and its significance and would love to hear your suggestions for turning around the antis' favorite demonizing rhetorical phrases and terminology, e.g.:
    politician => politrickster
    gun control => arms ban
    assault weapon => "scary" semi-auto
    high capacity clips => standard magazines
    reduced-capacity clips => downsized magazines
    cooling-off period => mandated transfer delay
    instant check system => delayed response shi+stem

I've seen some very good examples spread all over the board in other threads and was hoping to consolidate the list(if not previously done). Continuing to use damning terms for the rights, tools and freedoms we hold dear just helps perpetuate pejorative stereotypes about them. If you're not doing so already, please start calling these affronts by their more accurate, O'Malley-offending terms. Thanks a million for your recommendations and to those who participated in yesterday's opportunity to tell MD's Emperor that he wears no clothes and his naked aggression relative to our God-given & constitutionally-enumerated rights will not continue unspotlighted.

Kimerazor

Ultimate Member
    Aug 14, 2011
    "FEE state"
    Ban the term "lawmakers". This term implies they they should make more laws when in reality they should managing existing laws. Takes less than 2 months / year.

New term: "employee". They need to be reminded they work for us. They are not soecial.

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    There is no such thing as "gun" violence. = "violence"

NRA Life Member
    SAF Life Member
    GRRN Supporter

That reminds me of an old Archie Bunker "All in the Family" scene.

...as if violence committed with a gun is somehow more offensive than violence committed with a [__________]. I'm surprised they didn't ban assault rope during the hottest days of the desegregation!

HKB

Ultimate Member
    Apr 14, 2007
    Finksburg, MD
    The term "assault" is an act or action NOT a description of a tool/object.

Driving = privilege
    Gun = right

juan_galto

This is my user title
    Oct 23, 2011
    Seriously, this is one of the key points where we are significantly behind. The media and anti-2A crowd have couched the conversation on terms that preclude evenhanded discussion.

For example, it's hard to say that I'm a responsible "weapon" owner when the definition of a weapon is "something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy."

If we want to overcome anti-2A efforts, we need to use language that isn't counterproductive.

Hal3

Feb 2, 2013
    UMD
    We should start making the term gun grabber commonplace, maybe tilt the debate more towards our side.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    Seriously, this is one of the key points where we are significantly behind. The media and anti-2A crowd have couched the conversation on terms that preclude evenhanded discussion.

For example, it's hard to say that I'm a responsible "weapon" owner when the definition of a weapon is "something (as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy."

If we want to overcome anti-2A efforts, we need to use language that isn't counterproductive.

Precisely. Imagine a competitive debate or Logic 101 class discussion where such an obvious advantage was surrendered w/o a fight and carried on largely unchallenged? Many of us seemingly don't mind hopping up the down escalator blindfolded and on one foot 'cause we tend to parrot a lot of disparaging anti-firearm/2a terms!

Ab_Normal

Ab_member
    Feb 2, 2010
    Carroll County
    assault weapon => personal defense weapon, as per DHS

QFT!!

Capacitily Challenged - politically correct term for magazine holding less than 30 rds.

ie:

'The Md legislature wants us to only be able to have capacitily challenged magazines for our personal defense weapons.':D

juan_galto

This is my user title
    Oct 23, 2011
    See, any defense- or LEO-related organization such as DHS has cause to refer to firearms as weapons, because that is why they are purchased for those organizations. When you're trained in the military, they're weapons because they're used as tools to forcefully overcome your adversaries.

Since we are law-abiding citizens who use firearms for hunting and sporting events, they are not weapons. These kinds of language disparities are extremely important and need to be considered by all of us.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Take back the term "common sense" gun control.

Common sense tells me:

- Treat every firearm as if it is loaded.
    - Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
    - Don't touch the trigger until ready to fire.
    - All the other truly common sense safety rules we know and practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom