• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    It's not for them to see.

There are ups and downs it backlights you for starters.

But it allows to see the target, what they might be holding, identify other "persons of danger", and will also allow you to see BEYOND the "bad guy" which is a benefit....snip

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I appreciate it. But here's another question.

It's night. You wake up from being asleep because you hear something, get up and investigate. Can't flipping on a flashlight screw up your own vision long enough for bad things to happen?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Thanks to everyone for the advice. I appreciate it. But here's another question.

It's night. You wake up from being asleep because you hear something, get up and investigate. Can't flipping on a flashlight screw up your own vision long enough for bad things to happen?

There are ups and downs.

You might have some transition time and you will backlight yourself.

Me personally when I first wake up my "night vision" isnt good. If I've been up in the dark for awhile then it's better.

I can walk into my dark basement...wait a few minutes for my eyes to adjust...and turn on my TLR-1 without feeling any blindness.

In reality unless you train with the light you arent going to use it. You will grab the gun and do what you need to do. However if you feel you NEED a light for whatever reason it's not like you have an extra hand with a long gun. With a handgun you can accurately shot and field a light with some training. A long gun doesnt give this option.

empire550

Spoons made me fat
    Nov 1, 2011
    I would be afraid to attach a flashlight to my shotgun.
    As many flashlights as I lose, I'm sure I'd lose that shotgun too.:sad20:

I have that same problem. You will at least know there is a flashlight in your gun case this way.

Ovechtrick

Mar 7, 2011
    Montgomery County
    Well, I decided to get myself a proper home defense weapon: simple to use, reliable, effective, and disposable.

What I chose is a Mossberg 500 Persuader: 12 gauge, synthetic full stock (pistol grip also included), parkerized finish, 20 inch barrel, 8 shot capacity, excellent price. No flash light, no bayonet, no cup holder. Less is more.

What do you mean when you say its disposable? Are you planning on throwing it away? Let me know what day your trash service comes haha.

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Well, I decided to get myself a proper home defense weapon: simple to use, reliable, effective, and disposable.

Mossberg500.jpg

In fact, I was defending my home while taking this picture (I've always prided myself on being a good multi-tasker). And...please note that there are feet in the photo - artistically placed I might add.

What I chose is a Mossberg 500 Persuader: 12 gauge, synthetic full stock (pistol grip also included), parkerized finish, 20 inch barrel, 8 shot capacity, excellent price. No flash light, no bayonet, no cup holder. Less is more.

So no cup holder or mammoth tusk cigar cutter on the old mossberg huh??
    well I guess it will have to do:sad20:

as a very wise and valued friend told me once," why should I spend $900.00 bucks on a hd shot gun I shot once or twice and the cops take it away from me" so I would pass on the tatical mocha cup holder too...

Great choice of a gun I am a fan of the Mossberg as a 590 lives in my bedroom. Where did you get that fine firearm? did you get good customer service and guidance with your purchase?
    Do you need some federal tatical loads to feed the beast?
    will the person who sold you that fine firearm be receiving a coffee for his fine service??

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    as a very wise and valued friend told me once," why should I spend $900.00 bucks on a hd shot gun I shot once or twice and the cops take it away from me" so I would pass on the tatical mocha cup.

Disposability. browning guy and I have discussed this several times. I can't see spending $1,000+ for a Benelli when a $325 Mossberg is just as effective - when we're talking about a gun purchased specifically to reside under the bed. The cops take it into evidence, heaven forbid you should ever need it for its intended purpose, and maybe you eventually get it back and maybe you don't. To me, the Mossberg is disposable.

Where did you get that fine firearm? did you get good customer service and guidance with your purchase?
    Do you need some federal tatical loads to feed the beast?
    will the person who sold you that fine firearm be receiving a coffee for his fine service??

You know exactly where, smarta**! And as I recall you tried to sell it to someone else, while I was holding it, and I replied that this one was mine. I was thinking of something more substantial, but if coffee does it then I get off cheap. :rolleyes:

I bought 2 boxes of 00 buck to make sure it works before putting it "in service" and a box of Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense. Bass Pro didn't have any Federal Tactical Loads in stock. :envy:

Oh...and you know I'm gonna have to shoot some skeet targets with it!!

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    circleshooter wrote.
    "I bought 2 boxes of 00 buck to make sure it works before putting it "in service" and a box of Remington HD Ultimate Home Defense. Bass Pro didn't have any Federal Tactical Loads in stock. "

Well I just happen to know where there are a few case's of it. If you want some!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    as a very wise and valued friend told me once," why should I spend $900.00 bucks on a hd shot gun I shot once or twice and the cops take it away from me" so I would pass on the tactical mocha cup holder too...

Another wise man once said you should practice with the firearm you are going to be using in dangerous situations. Rust happens, spiders build webs in strange places, something may be wrong with the shotgun but doesn't show up until you've put more than a few rounds through it. That number is when you need it the most. And running a pump shotgun under stress isn't as easy as it's portrayed. How many times have you short stroked a pump shotgun? I've done it a couple of times in competitions, that's why I don't use one for 3-Gun.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Oh...and you know I'm gonna have to shoot AT some skeet targets with it!!
    20" too short, but lemme know how that works out!
    At any rate, take a bunch of diff loads, go shoot the thing alot,
    pattern the weapon,
    then dry work w/ it at home -the more you fiddle with it, load, unload, aim, dry fire, reload, kneel, fall down, prone, upright, etc, the more
    it becomes 2nd nature. And I agree on no light. Have one, a little maglight, but not on the long gun.

blackthorne

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 31, 2010
    Naptown

I don't think that a flashlight screws up your vision, but it sure provides the bad guy something to shoot at in the dark. Think about that.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    Your first line of defense in a home invasion: get the hell out as fast as possible. If that isnt possible hide in a room with you shielding your loved ones. If it's just you home sit and wait. The intruder barrels in take your shot and make it count. Goal= stop the threat as fast as possible in last case scenario. A few months ago I got my hands on a great magazine published by Gun World based on home defense. It was loaded with tips and weapons of choice that it was just interesting from front cover to back. None of us on here ever want to be in a situation where deadly force is needed to stop an attacker but it is better to be prepared and alive than caught off guard and dead. Preventive maintenance goes a long way in all aspects of life. Thanks for you time.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Another wise man once said you should practice with the firearm you are going to be using in dangerous situations. Rust happens, spiders build webs in strange places, something may be wrong with the shotgun but doesn't show up until you've put more than a few rounds through it. That number is when you need it the most. And running a pump shotgun under stress isn't as easy as it's portrayed. How many times have you short stroked a pump shotgun? I've done it a couple of times in competitions, that's why I don't use one for 3-Gun.

You are absolutely correct. I have every intention of practicing with this weapon. Only a fool would just load up a shotgun and stick it under the bed. While not of the HD variety, I am well acquainted with shotguns and shoot 800-1000 targets per month. I certainly understand the need for practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom