• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I don't know if this is the best forum for this, but since it has to do with shotgunning I'm posting it here.

Today was the first day of Loch Raven Skeet & Trap Center's "Clays Against Cancer" shoot, and we had almost 150 participants shoot nearly 350 rounds (that's 8,750 targets!). Good times and money being raised for a good cause.

But this isn't really what this post is about. Throughout the morning I was walking up and down the fields taking photographs. When I got down to field 6 there was a young man shooting. His father was keeping score and Ron, one of LRSTC's member volunteers, was pulling targets and coaching him.

The young man's name was Walter, and he's 13 years old. I couldn't help but notice the thrill and joy on his face, and the clearly evident pride on the face of his father, Chris. I took several photos and when Walter was done the round there were high fives all around. For you see, Walter had just registered his highest skeet score - at a charity event no less. Walter hit 80/100 targets. I learned that Walter shoots with the Mason-Dixon Clay Busters and has started participating in competitions just this year.

But it doesn't end here. MDS member JMintzer (Jamie) had come up to the event and we got together to shoot a couple rounds of skeet. We walked down the fields and came upon field 6 where Walter was getting ready to shoot another 50 targets. Jamie and I joined them.

Walter's enthusiasm, intensity, and willingness to listen to the coaching we were giving him was, well, inspirational. And hell, I'm addicted to clay shooting! To have somone ratchet up my enthusiasm for the sport is impressive.

When we got done the rounds we were talking with Walter and his Dad about what kind of gun they were thinking of upgrading to once he got a little bigger. Walter was looking at my gun sitting in the rack. [the gun is a FABARM Velocity which blends classic design with very modern features. It's a pretty distinctive shotgun.] He turned to me and asked if it was a "really expensive gun." I told him, yes, it was pretty expensive. Then I asked him if he wanted to shoot it.

Walter's eyes got big as saucers and says, "Can I?" as he looks over at his father. I handed him the gun. Walter stepped up to station 4, Ron pulled the targets and he crushed them both! Walter handed me my gun back, and thanked me with a beaming face. He thought that I had made his day....but Walter had actually made mine.

We should all spend more time introducing, and then mentoring, new people to the shooting sports. I did my heart good to see such an enthusiastic and respectful young man excited about clay shooting - along with his proud father. Walter and his Dad did, indeed, make my day.

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    I have introduced several of my son's friends to shooting and I tell them all this is the shooting house. If they want to get into anything inappropraite they can do it somewhere else and they seem to accept the terms. I do need to get the loadall set up and teach my son to use it to fill the thousands of shells him and his friends have shot over the last year or two. The 22 brass is in every nook and cranny around here too. I had a real Rockwell moment last Sunday when my son and his friends were out back one sitting on the front rack of the four wheeler another on the back and another using the tractor seat for a rest while mag dumping 22's. Then we went up on the deck where I was throwing crossing quads(doubles from each side) for the three of them to pick off.

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Good going Circleshooter, had a similar experience with a young trap shooter at AGC, he was doing well with his gun but was really watching me crush the birds with one of my old Model 12 trap guns. He asked me a few questions about it and I offered to let him shoot a round with it, don't remember how many he broke but do remember his excitement and the smile on his face.
    I try to help and encourage the young shooters every chance I get, it is the sports future.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    :thumbsup: Sounds like a great day.

Definitely a great day. We had lots of women shooters come out to share in the fun and help raise money for our charities. MDS member Boondock Saint came out with his family - including his MIL who's a breast cancer survivor I believe. Everyone seemed to be having a great time.

We're doing it again today as well and are hoping the weather cooperates with us. Keeping our fingers crossed.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    I wanted to crush the little shit's head with the butt of my shotgun...

Okay, maybe on the inside...:D

But seriously, Walt was an exceptional kid. It was only my 3rd time skeet shooting, so I really sucked. But a few times, I was able to hit my 2 singles and then get the simo pair. Walt was just as excited as I was, giving me a fist bump. I think I heard his knuckles crack in the last one, I hit him so hard... :o

When he shot Ben's Velocity, I looked at his dad, and gave him a "Uh Oh, looks like you're in trouble!" He didn't care, he was beaming!

What a great morning...

Jamie

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    A great story all the way around. Indeed I was there with my wife and her parents. We stunk out the joint in terms of clay busting, but all of us improved quite a bit toward the end of our second round. Everyone had a lot of fun, even my wife who doesn't particularly enjoy shooting. MIL smoked a number even with a 20 GA. Fun, fun, fun. :)

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    I wanted to crush the little shit's head with the butt of my shotgun...

Okay, maybe on the inside...:D

But seriously, Walt was an exceptional kid. It was only my 3rd time skeet shooting, so I really sucked. But a few times, I was able to hit my 2 singles and then get the simo pair. Walt was just as excited as I was, giving me a fist bump. I think I heard his knuckles crack in the last one, I hit him so hard... :o

When he shot Ben's Velocity, I looked at his dad, and gave him a "Uh Oh, looks like you're in trouble!" He didn't care, he was beaming!

What a great morning...

Jamie

Well, if only you responded to coaching the way Walter did.... :D

Just kidding. For a skeet newbie you did ok. But getting a skeet pair is a great feeling. You gotta pick the targets up 4-5 feet outta the house, move pretty aggressively, keep your head on the gun, your eyes on the birds, and follow thorough. It's quite satisfying watching them blow up!

I was more excited for you and Walter with your good hits even when I - ahem - ran 50/50. That was only my third time doing that!

Last edited:

defygravity

May 5, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I don't know if this is the best forum for this, but since it has to do with shotgunning I'm posting it here.

Today was the first day of Loch Raven Skeet & Trap Center's "Clays Against Cancer" shoot, and we had almost 150 participants shoot nearly 350 rounds (that's 8,750 targets!). Good times and money being raised for a good cause.

But this isn't really what this post is about. Throughout the morning I was walking up and down the fields taking photographs. When I got down to field 6 there was a young man shooting. His father was keeping score and Ron, one of LRSTC's member volunteers, was pulling targets and coaching him.

The young man's name was Walter, and he's 13 years old. I couldn't help but notice the thrill and joy on his face, and the clearly evident pride on the face of his father, Chris. I took several photos and when Walter was done the round there were high fives all around. For you see, Walter had just registered his highest skeet score - at a charity event no less. Walter hit 80/100 targets. I learned that Walter shoots with the Mason-Dixon Clay Busters and has started participating in competitions just this year.

But it doesn't end here. MDS member JMintzer (Jamie) had come up to the event and we got together to shoot a couple rounds of skeet. We walked down the fields and came upon field 6 where Walter was getting ready to shoot another 50 targets. Jamie and I joined them.

Walter's enthusiasm, intensity, and willingness to listen to the coaching we were giving him was, well, inspirational. And hell, I'm addicted to clay shooting! To have somone ratchet up my enthusiasm for the sport is impressive.

When we got done the rounds we were talking with Walter and his Dad about what kind of gun they were thinking of upgrading to once he got a little bigger. Walter was looking at my gun sitting in the rack. [the gun is a FABARM Velocity which blends classic design with very modern features. It's a pretty distinctive shotgun.] He turned to me and asked if it was a "really expensive gun." I told him, yes, it was pretty expensive. Then I asked him if he wanted to shoot it.

Walter's eyes got big as saucers and says, "Can I?" as he looks over at his father. I handed him the gun. Walter stepped up to station 4, Ron pulled the targets and he crushed them both! Walter handed me my gun back, and thanked me with a beaming face. He thought that I had made his day....but Walter had actually made mine.

We should all spend more time introducing, and then mentoring, new people to the shooting sports. I did my heart good to see such an enthusiastic and respectful young man excited about clay shooting - along with his proud father. Walter and his Dad did, indeed, make my day.

Awesome. Just awesome.

I've only been in shooting sports for about 6 months now, and I'm fairly young (28). I'm certainly addicted, especially with shooting clays.

The other day I took my father in law and uncle in law to AGC to shoot for their first times. They had a blast (pistols only), but it was awesome to see the joy on their faces as they shot. People just don't know.

The lesson I also took from this is: it's never too late. For anything. These men are all in their upper 60's, and were willing (although initially reticent) to try something new.

They thanked me for introducing them to the sport, and there was no better feeling in the world for me.

An open mind and willingness to try will expand your horizons. That's the most important thing that learning to shoot has taught me; and I'm glad I started every time I pull that trigger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Exceptional Job Circleshooter.

Thanks. I know you shoot with your kids as I'm sure many here do. And I'm sure many have introduced friends and family to shooting

But I guess my main point is that if we're not introducing people to the shooting sports, mentoring them, fostering and sharing in their enthusiasm, and showing the shooting sports in a positive light....then what the hell are we doing?

I was introduced to clay shooting by a good friend, and now it's my turn to give back. It's very satisfying.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Thanks. I know you shoot with your kids as I'm sure many here do.

But I guess my main point is that if we're not introducing people to the shooting sports, mentoring them, fostering and sharing in their enthusiasm, and showing the shooting sports in a good light....then what the hell are doing?

I agree completely. I have on a few occasions had some young men who were interested in Gunsmithing. In those cases I ask Mom or Dad if its ok, and I allow the kid and their parent into the shop during during business hours to get a better understanding of the Job. I always give you ones extra attention, even if they have the most basic questions.

I also take alot of toys to outdoor ranges and it never fails that theres some young kids eyeballing the Military Hardware (Kids seem to pay more attention now days with games like COD). I always offer up a mag as long and Mom or Dad is interested. Suppressed guns always make them grin big time.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    When I checked my email this morning I found an email from Jason, shooting buddy and the Clays Against Cancer event chairman. He received it from Walter's father thanking us for the coaching and encouragement that he got from all of us, and especially Ron who had been coaching and pulling targets for him before we shot with them.

He included a link to a video he made and put up on Youtube. Walter is shooting and Ron is doing the coaching. Jamie and I are on the right of the frame. I'm the one with the yellow hat. Walter hit all the targets, btw.

Here's a photo I took of Walter earlier in the morning.

Reeves4web.jpg

@Jamie - See the clay in the photo at 11:00 above the pointed tree and where it is in relation to the gun barrel? That's the perfect lead for the Station 5 high house.

As I said, if we - as the shooting community - aren't encouraging young and new shooters to the sport and sharing the fun, enthusiasm, discipline, camaraderie, etc....then shame on us.

Last edited:

roger8918

Nov 14, 2010
    WOW to run across this post has just made my day!

Walter is a great kid and one of 12 new shooters to join the Mason-Dixon Clay Busters this year. Walter may be a first year shooter but make no mistake…. he is far from a rookie. If I had to guess I would say between Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays Walter has about 2000 targets under his belt this year. Like all of the young people on the team, Walter is respectful, enthusiastic, and a sponge when it comes to coaching…..that makes my job so much fun!

Bottom-line, it makes me so proud to hear how Walter handled himself and represented the team. Hopefully you’ll have an opportunity to see some of our other team members in action.

States.jpg

Roger Beardsley
    Head Coach, Mason-Dixon Clay Busters
    www.masondixonclaybusters.com

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    WOW to run across this post has just made my day!

Walter is a great kid and one of 12 new shooters to join the Mason-Dixon Clay Busters this year. Walter may be a first year shooter but make no mistake…. he is far from a rookie....snip

Roger, I was hoping you'd be along eventually and see this. :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom