• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    So a coworker and I have built a few gun cases (see below) for ourselves...now what do we do?

Well we thought, if we like these gun cases, maybe there are some other like-minded folks that might like them as well. We wanted something that wasn't so large and cumbersome to carry around (like a lot of Pelican cases), but offered a high degree of protection when either stored or traveling. And this is also something we have used to move other stuff like camera gear from place to place as well.

These ones in particular are 7" H x 14" W x 28" L, and will easily fit an AR broken down with several magazines, and a pistol with magazines. We aren't limited to size or configuration, we have a wood shop & tools to make these just about any size & shape we need, we are working on a longer box now.

We are also messing around with a variety of latch mechanisms (locking, non-locking, etc.), as well as a variety of handles, protective metal edging, and a few other things. Like I said, we can customize them...including the paint colors. We have been using the Rustoleum spray paints available at Depot.

These are not intended to be TSA approved boxes, more something to reliably transport fireams, camera equipment, sound & video equipment, tools, etc, from place to place.

Here are some of the specs:
    Case is 1/2" thick 7 layer furniture grade plywood
    All hardware is powder-coated steel (black or brushed metal finish)
    Foam: Soft or dense, egg crate style or dense customizable foam
    Price: $160 (7"x14"x28), or $175 (7"x14"x36", fits most AR's not broken down)

If you all have any feedback or are interested in one for your own use, let me know. Feel free to message me if you'd like a custom size or want to discuss a particular use.

Thanks for taking a look!

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Pictures of a finished or in the process would be helpful some of us don't have good imaginations. Thanks

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    Well that's embarrassing....let's try it again:whack::sign03:

Attachments

• IMG_7306.jpg
      IMG_7306.jpg
      75.5 KB · Views: 816
    • IMG_7312.jpg
      IMG_7312.jpg
      51.4 KB · Views: 810
    • IMG_7313.jpg
      IMG_7313.jpg
      41.9 KB · Views: 891
    • IMG_7320.jpg
      IMG_7320.jpg
      48.6 KB · Views: 807

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    I don't transport things in this nature. With that..These boxes always look so cumbersome. The craftsmanship looks fine. The thought of toting that box you got stuffed to the gills, daunting.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Pretty slick guys, thanks for the pictures. They give off a "something cool inside this case" vibe without giving up what's inside.

camobob

Feb 18, 2013
    My Pelican is a great case but like you said - it's a little clumsy. My soft cases are okay but not a lot of protection. I can see where there's a niche in there for what your doing. I'm a tinkerer myself so I like to see people with "better ideas". Hope this works for you.....

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Awesome work.

FYI, TSA does not approve luggage. The only considerations IMHO are hard sided, non TSA lock, and if the LxWxH is sufficient to avoid an oversized bag charge on the majority of airlines.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I'm just going to come right out and say it.

You could ask more for these fine cases and get it.

Based on your material and labor costs, you're giving these away.

Really am just trying to help.

Good luck with them.

tsmith1499

Poor C&R Collector
    Jan 10, 2012
    Southern Mount Airy, Md.
    Nice looking cases, is there anything like straps, etc. on the interior to keep things in place or would everything just be floating around?

You can get them with 2 different types of foam for the inside. It's in the original post.

These are very nice. Built like road cases for audio equipment for bands. ME LIKEY!!!

madchestermonkey

Pond straddler
    Oct 10, 2012
    Lowcountry SC
    They look great, The only think I would say ( from somebody in an industry that beats up cases for a living!) rivets are much better than screws whenever possible.

And like OCJ said, you can charge more for these and probably get it, just stop into any guitar center and see what $160 gets you, 1/4 Chinese made junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom