• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    So I have a gen 3 glock 19. Love the gun. No problems at all under normal use. The only issue I'm running into is that I'm seeing weak ejection when shooting suppressed only.

If it matters I'm using a glock threaded barrel, and an osprey 9. The piston is well greased.

I don't want to get glock involved because I don't think there's anything wrong with the gun since it's flawless unsuppressed. I'm wondering if a new extractor spring,new extractor, or new ejector, or some combination of the above will be the best bet.

What say you?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Try something zipper. Either a +p or a 124 grain load.
    147 is subsonic. Personally I'd take the slight loss of sound reduction for increased reliabilty. Or try a lighter recoil spring.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    That's an option for sure. I was really hoping changing something out would allow me to continue shooting subsonic. I don't have this problem in my with my other hosts.

Thanks for the input.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The extra weight of the suppressor is reducing slide velocity. The barrel and slide move together during the initial stage of recoil so this is when the suppressor affects the recoil velocity. As mopar92 suggested a softer recoil spring would help the ejection. If there is +P ammo which is subsonic that would help as well as the ammo mopar mentioned.

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Glocks are not very reliable when used as a suppressor host. They tend to require weaker recoil springs and heavier loads to cycle reliably. You can make one work but they tend to be ammo picky or " dedicated" to a particular load/ recoil spring/ suppressor set-up.

The osprey is also a very heavy can in terms of newer suppressor designs. The recoil force that is required to actuate the neilsen device, cycle the slide, load, reset the action is anemic if you use a 9mm. It will behave similar to limp wrist induced malfunctions.

The HK usp 9 sd is very reliable as a suppressor host. It may be due to a weaker recoil spring. So as other have suggested, try a weaker recoil spring. This may resolve your issue. But it will result in more felt recoil unsuppressed. SIGs also have this issue, so dont feel that its a bad set up. Its just that you have to tweak it a bit to get it running right.

As a general rule.. Browning type guns with tilting barrels( 1911, glocks, sigs, etc) are finicky suppressor host.They will require a bit of research , experimentation and expense to get them to run properly in the suppressed mode. Except for the HK USP pistols. The Beretta 92 also makes a reliable host and will even operate without a neilsen device.The HK and Beretta will run suppressed out of the box. The Glock 21 is also a good gun to suppress, the bigger bullet/ mass tends to actuate the action and neilsen device more efficiently than its 9mm counterparts.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    Thanks so much.

My usp9sd and fnx9 both run great. I was hoping to have the glock up to snuff, but I don't want to swap out recoil springs since I shoot that gun unsuppressed quite a bit and it is my go to hd gun.

I was actually looking into a 226 next, and currently have a thread in the fs/t forum. I need to rethink that now.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    regardless of a heavier bullet going slower, it provides more mass to push against the slide. A heavier round usually INCREASES the bolt thrust, and not vice versa- a lighter bullet is not going to make a difference. More powder may do the trick, but it shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

smg1231

Dec 15, 2012
    Ellicott City
    I run a G17 with a factory threaded barrel and a Tirant-9. I have noticed a softer recoil impulse with the Federal American eagle ammo. Never had a malfunction, but still noticable. My favorite ammo is Speer Lawman 147gr. The lawman is loaded a little hotter, but is still subsonic.

Pwilliams1

Apr 25, 2013
    I've had an eye out for some of that. Haven't tried it yet. I'll throw some in with the next ammo order. Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom