• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    And you are 100% right.
    I like this post. Fits right in with what I tell every student. If you are not properly trained your chances of surviving are slim.

Anyone that carries a firearm for personal protection should read:
    On Killing by: Lt. Col. Dave Grossman
    http://www.killology.com/bio.htm

Even an untrained person with a gun has a much better chance than one without and their chances with a gun while are untrained are anything but slim.
    Their chances are much better with training and preparation, but even someone who just got a gun and never fired one before can save their life. There are a number of examples of women defending themselves from a stalker, ex boyfriend or estranged husband who just bought one or someone gave them one recently.

Here is a good one. She didn't immediately shoot, someone gave her the handgun that same day and yet she still used it to save her life.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ExC7fE1LaY&NR=1

A friend of mine who is being harassed and threatened by her soon to be ex husband so I lent her a handgun. She mentioned she was concerned she did not know how to use it. I asked her if she can use a spray bottle of Windex and she said of course and I said, "then you can fire a gun in self defense". It is a point and shoot deal in close quarters and it provides a great chance at stopping the attack. Even just pulling the gun out may stop the aggression against her.
    Do I wish she had training and practice with it? Of course. Having the gun alone increases her chances of surviving an attack by many fold, but training and practice probably doubles even that chance. She however has anything but just a "slim" chance of surviving with that gun.

She used to have a big knife for self defense....now with that it was just a slim chance. I can see her six foot three husband just laughing at her with a knife and still attack her, but one shot from a gun, even if it missed, then......

bmdmc

Nov 8, 2007
    Even an untrained person with a gun has a much better chance than one without and their chances with a gun while are untrained are anything but slim.

I would disagree with this, does this person know how to use the gun, load the gun and take off the safety, in an emergency situation? Bet if there are children around that gun is loaded (illegal), unlocked (illegal if ammo is nearby). A revolver would of course be the best way to go, and a big one at that. But a semi-auto, takes practice to load, remove the safety, cock it, etc.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I would disagree with this, does this person know how to use the gun, load the gun and take off the safety, in an emergency situation?
    It is a revolver, so no safety.
    It is a top break and I lent her a speed loader. I showed her how to load and even practiced with her a little using the speedloader.
    She does often have the gun on her loaded anyway, but even if she was unpracticed loading it in emergency scenarios, she would still have a much better chance of surviving an attack. She would have an even much better chance if she was practiced of course, but she still has a better chance just having the gun.

Believe me, if the situation allowed for me to offer her more basic training of take her to a place she could better learn, then I would have done so and I wish I could. But for now I know her chances of surviving an attack just having it WAY more than justifies her having it even without the training and it gives her WAY better chance of surviving an attack in her home.

Bet if there are children around that gun is loaded (illegal), unlocked (illegal if ammo is nearby).
    This is not what the law says.

A revolver would of course be the best way to go, and a big one at that. But a semi-auto, takes practice to load, remove the safety, cock it, etc.
    It is a DAO, .38 S&W antique Iver Johnson with a shot out barrel. The rooms within her house are very small and so if the attacker is in the house, the shot out barrel is not an issue because it will be close quarters (not like she knows shot placement yet anyway).
    It is a hammerless so the complexity of a hammer is not an issue and she can keep it in a pocket. The relatively weak .38 S&W round is weak compared to some modern ammo, but it will do the job. Besides I did not want her to have a light gun with a powerful round. If she is afraid to use it because of recoil or let the recoil cause her to drop it in the emergency, that will be a problem. The more powerful rounds is something I want her to get practice with first of course before she uses one.

By the way, most semi autos are automatically cocked and/or with the safety off already when you load them. ;)

bmdmc

Nov 8, 2007
    Your just involved yourself in a federal offense (maybe if that gun is used), if you lent a gun to someone else and it is used by them, to hurt someone, 10 years minimum, and you have no defense (you supplied the gun, and the court doesn't care why). Don't ever lend a handgun, as a matter of fact any gun, to someone else who has a protective order otherwise, bad news for you if you do, and get caught, and you just admitted to it right on this forum. I really don't care that you did, and hopefully she will never use it, but think before you do something like that.

I would highly recommend getting the gun back and take her to the gun store, and walk her through the process. If you want to pay for the gun or transfer the gun then your legal.

But right now your playing with fire, and I hope you don't get burnt.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    Your just involved yourself in a federal offense (maybe if that gun is used), if you lent a gun to someone else and it is used by them, to hurt someone, 10 years minimum, and you have no defense (you supplied the gun, and the court doesn't care why). Don't ever lend a handgun, as a matter of fact any gun, to someone else who has a protective order otherwise, bad news for you if you do, and get caught, and you just admitted to it right on this forum. I really don't care that you did, and hopefully she will never use it, but think before you do something like that.

I would highly recommend getting the gun back and take her to the gun store, and walk her through the process. If you want to pay for the gun or transfer the gun then your legal.

But right now your playing with fire, and I hope you don't get burnt.

Lol, you don't know me. I read the law looking for stuff like this for fun.

The law about restraining orders, transfer of firearms and such does not apply to antiques!! ;)

Also there is nothing federally about two state residents lending each other handguns. On the state level I can make a temporary, gratuitous loan of a handgun.....but once again, because it is an antique even the state law does not apply.

Trust me, I know what I am doing. Out of all my handguns, including a few revolvers, I lent her the antique one for a reason.

bmdmc

Nov 8, 2007
    OK, I hope it all works out for you, and your friend. I know you know the law, but the cops don't, and if you get in trouble about this, your going to spend a long time answering questions you don't want too. And the cops could care less about the law, they just bring you in for questioning. You may or may not be charged with an offense, such as aiding and abeiting (sp?). Good luck.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Does that mean you won't be signing up for my advance CCDW course in the fall? I'm devastated, you won't be missed!

we're probably goin to blackwater. alucard's a good guy and very knowledgeable. if you'd sit down have a beer and stop pissing at each other u'd find a very strong ally.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    OK, I hope it all works out for you, and your friend. I know you know the law, but the cops don't, and if you get in trouble about this, your going to spend a long time answering questions you don't want too. And the cops could care less about the law, they just bring you in for questioning. You may or may not be charged with an offense, such as aiding and abeiting (sp?). Good luck.
    If worse comes to worse, her using the handgun and it saves her life would be worth a night in a police station answering questions. I appreciate the caution from you though. :)

I thought about the handgun purchase for her too and was wondering about a Hi Point in .380 for her to get, but neither I nor her have the money for even a cheap Hi Point at the moment. I know it would solve any of the issues you brought up if she used her own gun.
    Besides, I want my Iver Johnson back. It is one of my favorites.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    Have I used my training on the streets? Yes! Have I used my training to keep myself from being harmed? Yes! Have I had to draw my weapon? NO! Why? Because I immediately gain control the over situation. Would I hesitate in useing my weapon to protect my life? With out a second thought.How could this event not taken place at all? Maybe a sign on the door saying something like "Hotel Clerks Are Armed" and the BG would have thought twice before entering with a gun.

:sad20:

Does that mean you won't be signing up for my advance CCDW course in the fall?

:lol2::rofl::lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom