• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ehh, I've REALLY tried to, but never warmed up to the 9mm and 40 cal glocks....but in jenni's p99(wow, still sounds weird to say that) and in my m&p9c, the mags are loaded up with 147 +p+ underwood gold dots. I've shot them into a variety of things, and they just do impressive things for a 9mm.

ColonelHurtz

A pile of little arms.
    Nov 13, 2008
    I stocked up on Hydrashoks back when they were the shiz.
    I understand that there are better performing loads these days but I believe the Hydrashoks to be sufficiently lethal.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My current Glock is not a G19 , but seriously just about any defensice/ duty ammo will also be fine in a G19 . Comes down to your specific percieved requirements / personal philosophy in ammo design.

If you otherwise are pleased with Gold Dot , no reason to not run Gold Dot 124's , be they std/ +P / Short Bbl .

But yes , you did hit on an important point. ( So long as reasonably effective generally , and reasonably close to similar rounds ) availability and quasi-affordability to be able to actually shoot a quamtity of them for reliability / practice is a factor also. Kind if why I have more Federal 9BPLE than CorBon 115

9mm has so many decent rounds that you can be flexable based on availability , and still be well served.

Howe

Howe
    Apr 27, 2010
    exMD
    Hornady Critical Defense 115 gr. I ran a few mages (2 boxes i think) thru each G17 and G19. both worked fine.

I have some speer and HST and they ran fine as well.

TyFromMD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2011
    Maryland
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382188254.019495.jpg

These are Speer Gold Dot 9mm 124gr +p short barrel rounds recovered from milk jugs I shot with a My 19 last weekend. I've put a couple boxes through mine and they work very well. The larger slug on the bottom expanded to over .9" from 10-12 feet and went through one water-filled jug and penetrated the second.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I go between Winchester PDX-1 124gr +P Bonded JHP and Speer Gold Dot 124 GR +P JHPs. Both work well in my GEN 2.

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    A properly working Glock should shoot any commercial ammo reliably. Here is a pretty good list of what is considered the best defensive ammo with the reasons why included if you spend a little time and read the link. I use the last one listed.

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/

9mm
    Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) such as loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)
    Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
    Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
    Winchester Ranger Bonded 124 gr +P JHP (RA9BA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
    Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
    Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)
    Speer Gold Dor 124gr JHP
    Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
    Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)
    Remington Golden Saber 124 gr +P JHP bonded (GSB9MMD)
    Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)
    Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
    Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
    Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)
    Federal HST 124gr JHP +P (P9HST3)

Chaim

Aug 10, 2008
    Columbia
    I don't own a Glock but I currently own a few 9mms (SIG P290RS, Kel Tec Pf-9, and a CZ 75B with well over 10K rounds). I only know Glock by reputation, but they don't seem to (as a group) dislike any particular ammo, though like any gun, you should test yours out with what you want to shoot since any particular gun can have what it likes and dislikes (I'm sure I'm not saying anything you aren't already familiar with).

Anyhow, while none of my 9mms seem particularly ammo sensitive, I do have favorites. For a long time, Speer Gold Dots have been my favorite defensive ammo in nearly all calibers (124gr, and 124gr +P in 9mm). Lately, I've been changing over to Hornady Critical Defense or Winchester PDX in many/most calibers, though I still like Speer GD and it is one of my go-to brands depending upon what is available. For 9mm, to get the best combination of velocity, penetration and expansion I tend to prefer the mid-weight bullets (124gr over the heavier 147gr or light 115gr) regardless of brand.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'm partial to Hornady. Currently rocking 124 gr XTP. I will get Critical Duty once I shoot that stuff.

Si vis pacem, para bellvm.

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I'm partial to Hornady. Currently rocking 124 gr XTP. I will get Critical Duty once I shoot that stuff.

You know, it's easy to dis Hornady because their rounds are not so expansive as the Gold Dots and HST's of the world, but I have found some new respect for them with the Critical Duty line. Hornady is more about penetration and less expansion. Their XTP rounds have a "controlled expansion" to them, which means they don't expand into a huge flower, like the above-mentioned competition. They also seem to be loaded a bit lighter, and can be a good choice for people who aren't into shooting full-house loads. Hornady's loads offer consistent (but not particularly large) expansion and very good penetration with a bit less kick than the other loads out there.

I'm not so sure that opening up like a big/flat death-flower is always the most beneficial thing, so I have been looking at Hornady loads in a new light.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I have shot XTP thru all my 9mm guns, including reloads. They feed reliably even in my MP5 clone.

I guess it's the only bullet design I've tested in my own stuff so I trust it. Accurate and reliable. There's no magic bullet that will blow a bad guy out of his shoes... If my ammo works I'll put it where it needs to go. ;)

jodavk

Nov 30, 2010
    147g pdx1; "supposedly" opens more consistently thru cloth, into ballistic gel, than the hotter 124g when fired, 7yds or less, out of a stock g19. I plan on doing my own "tests" to compare. Could be BS; so it gives me an excuse to have fun "testing".

4095fanatic

Paramagic
    Dec 3, 2010
    Federal HST 124gr +p. I used to like 147gr HST, but most of the research I did showed the 124 +p expanding more reliably.

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I like the XTP hollowpoint. I wish there was an option that would be good in both the G19 and my CMMG carbine. THat said, JHP's are designed to work best at a certain velocity and there's going to be a bit of a difference there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cfreeman818

Latest threads

Top Bottom