• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • annihilation-time

MOLON LABE
    Jun 14, 2010
    Hazzard County!
    9MM ARs are 100% legal as long as there's no compatibility with a banned Assault Long Gun. AR-15s use M16 mags. The Colt is permanently modified to eat 9MM; therefore, it cannot be considered an AR-15. See MSP Firearms Bulletin 10-1 and 10-2.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Seems to be a quality issue with the Colt version after a quick search

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3

Nothing wrong with colt 9mm ARs specifically. 9mm ARs tend to break bolt catches. The problem is too much rearward bolt travel which hammers bolt catches. To remedy this you slow the bolt down with the heaviest buffer you can install (heavy buffers.com) and make sure the bolt only clears the bolt catch by a couple millimeters.

Besides that people use junk mags like promag and products which are not good mags. Use metalform, factory colt, or Brownells (which are metal forms).

msalvas

May 14, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    Nothing wrong with colt 9mm ARs specifically. 9mm ARs tend to break bolt catches. The problem is too much rearward bolt travel which hammers bolt catches. To remedy this you slow the bolt down with the heaviest buffer you can install (heavy buffers.com) and make sure the bolt only clears the bolt catch by a couple millimeters.

Besides that people use junk mags like promag and products which are not good mags. Use metalform, factory colt, or Brownells (which are metal forms).

Good to know about the bolt. I need to get on and order a buffer made for this thing. Fortunately, I just scored a killer deal on gun broker for 2 32 round metal form, 1 32 round c products, and 2 20 round metal form magazines for $100 shipped. : )

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab

msalvas

May 14, 2009
    Hagerstown, MD
    So you found the post by the guy who got his with a loose barrel nut 3 years ago :)

I typed in the Colt model number into Google and it brought up a few different forums and whatnot with people not impressed with it. I honestly was thinking about a CMMG.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I typed in the Colt model number into Google and it brought up a few different forums and whatnot with people not impressed with it. I honestly was thinking about a CMMG.

That's the route I'm going. I wasn't at first, although I've been sitting on a CMMG lower for over a year. I thought I'd go cheaper, but now it just makes sense to me to keep it all CMMG. I'm gonna just go and get the CMMG upper in the next month or two.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Now there are a couple of real problems with the 6951:

After an hour of putting one round through the hole of the one before it, you are going to stand in a pile of brass and wonder 'where did all my ammo go' ?

The clerk at walmart will call you in to DHS as some kind of nut who just bought the entire shelf of 9mm.

If you shoot at a range where you have to pick up your brass, you gonna pick up a lot of brass :-)

A 100rd pack is only 3 mags of fun. Between the Uplula SMG loader and the large mags, you can eat through your stash at .22 speed.

You'll get picky in what you shoot through it. Not because it doesn't shoot some cheap smoky crap, but because you have to clean the thing at some point. Based on its design, it puts a lot of residue downward into the mag, if you take out the mag after 25 rounds, the top 5 left look like you took a blowtorch to them.

Mine at least beats up the brass pretty good. There are couple of things coming together to do this:
    - a heavy bolt that slams forward against the base
    - high chamber pressure that lasts long with the long barrel
    - a relatively wide SMG chamber
    The brass that comes out of mine is black, has an annealed color change to it and has marks in the base from the boltface. I dont reload, but if you do, you may end up with some brass 'consumption'.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

I did the same. What I found was that back in the 80s it took them a couple of rounds of improvements to get things tweaked. Then there was one guy who received his from the factory with the barrel nut loose. He posted this to every forum in the land and in typical internet fashion, in every forum a couple of people chimed in whose cousins brother had the same problem.

The rest were petty complaints about the fact that Colt didn't put a dab of paint on the holes for the roll-pins that lock the mag-block in place and about blemishes in the finish.

Colt is making those things for 30 years mostly on government contracts and with select fire sears. Mine has been trouble free right out of the box. If you are into building your own AR, a Colt is not going to be the right thing for you. They come in one color and get delivered in a cardboard box. No shiny inlays with dragonheads and zombies, just a black rifle in a cardboard box.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I used a 5.56 lower that is SBRed.

Here's my spec list: (OAL is just under 20" collapsed)

LWRC UCIW Ultra Conpact Stock
    Heavy Buffers U9 Buffer (just was released this week)
    Superior Shooting Solutions Flat Wire Chrome Silicone Spring
    Hahn Top Loading Adaptor with Bolt Hold Open
    RRA 9mm Upper
    Magpul Pro Metal BUIS
    Ranier Raptor Charger
    SSA-E Trigger
    CMMG Ramped 9mm Bolt
    Gear Sector Hand Stop
    Magpul FVG
    Magpul MOE K2 Grip
    Single Point Sling Plate
    RRA LPK (Didn't use the FCG)
    Noveske 60 Degree Ambi Safety
    YHM 4.25" Mini FF Pistol Rail
    ADCO 4.5" 9mm Barrel threaded 13.5x1LH (Uses the same threads as my G17 and G19. All will be shot with my AAC Tirant 9 in pergatory)

I'm making a 13.5 krink type device that won't boost the blowback when the suppressor isnt mounted as the muzzle is under the handguard and you don't want that.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    All 9mm barrel nuts can come loose because they don't use a gas tube. The gas tube locks the barrel nut from loosening. 9mm uppers don't have a gas tube hole to lock the barrel nut to the upper with a roll pin.

SmokingGun

Ultimate Member
    Jun 22, 2009
    Absurdistan

RRA 9mm Upper
    Magpul Pro Metal BUIS
    Ranier Raptor Charger
    SSA-E Trigger
    CMMG Ramped 9mm Bolt
    Gear Sector Hand Stop
    Magpul FVG
    Magpul MOE K2 Grip
    Single Point Sling Plate
    ADCO 4.5" 9mm Barrel threaded 13.5x1LH (Uses the same threads as my G17 and G19. All will be shot with my AAC Tirant 9 in pergatory)

I'm making a 13.5 krink type device that won't boost the blowback when the suppressor isnt mounted as the muzzle is under the handguard and you don't want that.
    Terrific info. Thank you Chad.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    All 9mm barrel nuts can come loose because they don't use a gas tube. The gas tube locks the barrel nut from loosening. 9mm uppers don't have a gas tube hole to lock the barrel nut to the upper with a roll pin.

Is there anything that can be done about it ? Loctite ?

How often do you suggest checking for it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is there anything that can be done about it ? Loctite ?

How often do you suggest checking for it.

Loctite can help but it can cut loose if you heat the gun up with rapid fire. Some D.I. AR Handguards don't use the Gas Tube to retain them either (I don't like them for the same reasons).

You can send the upper to adco who will drill the 9mm upper for a gas tube hole. This will allow you to install a Solid Pin into the hole that will lock a traditional barrel nut in place and some aftermarket rails that lock into a gas tube. This is what IM doing to my 9mm AR.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew.cfm?code=Upper Receiver Mods

A FVG can also add leverage to make the nut break loose because the grip acts like a breaker bar.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable

RRA 9mm Upper
    Magpul Pro Metal BUIS
    Ranier Raptor Charger
    SSA-E Trigger
    CMMG Ramped 9mm Bolt
    Gear Sector Hand Stop
    Magpul FVG
    Magpul MOE K2 Grip
    Single Point Sling Plate

What is the OAL for ATF/MDSP purposes ?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012

RRA 9mm Upper
    Magpul Pro Metal BUIS
    Ranier Raptor Charger
    SSA-E Trigger
    CMMG Ramped 9mm Bolt
    Gear Sector Hand Stop
    Magpul FVG
    Magpul MOE K2 Grip
    Single Point Sling Plate

:needpics:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom