• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    I'll be using A SpikesTactical ST-9X 9mm heavy buffer. My impression is that one doesn't need to use a spacer with this buffer for a carbine. Let me know if I am wrong please. Again, I am using the Wolff heavy duty buffer spring.
    Thanks for your comments.

You're correct. Spacers are used to limit over travel with carbine length buffers. Since the ST9X is longer than a standard buffer, no need to use a spacer (if you do, the bolt likely won't have enough travel to cycle).

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Finally got my hodge podge ar 9mm together that uses glock mags and drums. Its a odd fellow but there is beauty in ugly lol !!!

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpg
      IMG_0214.jpg
      125.3 KB · Views: 366
    • IMG_0215.jpg
      IMG_0215.jpg
      127.5 KB · Views: 375

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Thanks guys !!! :-) I'm working on its step brother now . It will use a different lower and the standard ar 9mm mags . Hopefully in the next few weeks I get it put together. This 1 required extensive bolt machining, but I feel it's worth it to make it this compact with the colapsable stock.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    You're correct. Spacers are used to limit over travel with carbine length buffers. Since the ST9X is longer than a standard buffer, no need to use a spacer (if you do, the bolt likely won't have enough travel to cycle).

There was an article I read where someone used X amount of coins, quarters I think, in order to make a homemade spacer. Allegedly it worked quite well and was very cost effective.

MKR03

Apr 1, 2014
    State of Montgomery
    There was an article I read where someone used X amount of coins, quarters I think, in order to make a homemade spacer. Allegedly it worked quite well and was very cost effective.

I've heard the same thing. I think it was something like $1.75 worth of quarters instead of a spacer with a standard carbine length buffer.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Just ordered the last parts I need to finish The redheaded step brother to the 1 above .

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Looks very similar to mine. I have the 9mm version of that stock made by MVB. Difference is the stock release lever is on the right side of the rear stock so you can just reach over with your weak hand and pull it out without taking your strong hand off the grip. Came with a 9mm buffer and 2 stage springs. My lower is about the same as yours, forged for Glock mags only, currently using a Timney competition trigger and one of the grips made for short ARs with a more vertical angle from Umbrella Corp. I am using a DPMS upper forged with no FA, dust cover or deflector. Barrel is PSA SOCOM profile, handguard is non-railed AP Custom carbon fiber, and barrel currently wears an FTF fake USMC suppressor that sleeves the upper barrel so it looks like a 12" barrel with a can on the end. Sports a C-More red dot for shooting in Pistol Caliber Carbine division. Just took delivery of the ramped 9mm bolt today so first proof test will be tomorrow. Pictures will follow. Also picked up a couple of the CTS smoke transparent 30 rd. mags to go with my 2 Glock 31 rd. mags. All 4 mags seem to drop free fine but the mag release button seems a little stiff.
    I am assuming from your deflector and charging handle that you (Boss94) are left-handed?

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Looks very similar to mine. I have the 9mm version of that stock made by MVB. Difference is the stock release lever is on the right side of the rear stock so you can just reach over with your weak hand and pull it out without taking your strong hand off the grip. Came with a 9mm buffer and 2 stage springs. My lower is about the same as yours, forged for Glock mags only, currently using a Timney competition trigger and one of the grips made for short ARs with a more vertical angle from Umbrella Corp. I am using a DPMS upper forged with no FA, dust cover or deflector. Barrel is PSA SOCOM profile, handguard is non-railed AP Custom carbon fiber, and barrel currently wears an FTF fake USMC suppressor that sleeves the upper barrel so it looks like a 12" barrel with a can on the end. Sports a C-More red dot for shooting in Pistol Caliber Carbine division. Just took delivery of the ramped 9mm bolt today so first proof test will be tomorrow. Pictures will follow. Also picked up a couple of the CTS smoke transparent 30 rd. mags to go with my 2 Glock 31 rd. mags. All 4 mags seem to drop free fine but the mag release button seems a little stiff.
    I am assuming from your deflector and charging handle that you (Boss94) are left-handed?

I am a lefty lol good catch there . Let me know how you like that stock. I have 3 more 9 mm bolts to build into guns. The 1 I'm waiting for parts now has the BAD vert stock . I have also another troy to build. So was thinking last 2 may be MVB stock guns. I love the short stocks on the 9 mm guns. I actually switched the upper on the 1 pictured above to a BAD light weight upper with no forward assist. Very neat upper !! Let us know how it shoots !! Sounds like a nice gun !!

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Well while I had a few issues doing a mechanical function test the 9mm PCC functioned flawlessly when actually firing on my backyard Steel Challenge range. The ramped bolt allowed me to use an unmodified Timney Comp Trigger out of my AR-22. Used a mix of Fed 115g from WM and some 147g reloads one of my buds traded to me as part of a bullet swap. I would put a picture of it up but the DVA in its infinite wisdom has firewalls that prevent me from uploading a photo from here.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The MVB 9mm stock is interesting. Has a short buffer about 2" long or so equivalent to an H-1 buffer in weight. The buffer detent and spring are removed from the lower. It has a double spring with an intermediate piece that keeps them separate. Since the buffer extends into the receiver to take it apart you have to pull back all the way on the CH and then push in a button on the bottom of the stock to trap the buffer. Then you take the pins out like normal.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    What's the consensus on Glock mag lowers vs. Colt mag lowers. The Glock mag version appeals to me but I'm not sold on either one yet.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    What's the consensus on Glock mag lowers vs. Colt mag lowers. The Glock mag version appeals to me but I'm not sold on either one yet.

It really depend on what you want. All of mine are the Colt mag design, but I have friends that have the Glock design and they all run flawlessly. I probably had a little more work getting one of mine to run without hiccups, but my carbine and the other pistol have ran fine from the very beginning.

It's a personal preference.

Good Luck!

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    It really depend on what you want. All of mine are the Colt mag design, but I have friends that have the Glock design and they all run flawlessly. I probably had a little more work getting one of mine to run without hiccups, but my carbine and the other pistol have ran fine from the very beginning.

It's a personal preference.

Good Luck!

Thanks. I'm mostly concerned with reliability sounds like they are about equal.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I looked at it this way, since I had both a G17 and a G34, a Glock mag lower was a no brainer. That way in addition to the 30+ round mags I bought for it I could also use any of my extended 22 rd. mags and the stock 17 rd. mags. Plus I saw that Taran Butler (Taran Tactical) says you can use at least +3 extended base pads and maybe +5 ones on the 30+ round mags without even having to change the spring. That means I can up the CTS smoke mags to 33-35 and the Glock mags to 36-38. Happens I have 3 Arredondo +3 basepads I took off three of my mags to put +5 Taran Tactical ones on. I am thinking to put 2 of those on my CTS ones so all my mags should then hold 33. Not likely to buy one of the drum mags.
    If I did not have any Glocks then it might have just been 50/50 either way.

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    So far I have only had luck with the drums with about 15 to 20 rds in them.anymore than that seems to be a issue where you end up with a empty chamber. The rds don't seem to transition smoothly, I may end up taking them apart and blend the scroll a bit. I have seen videos of them working flawless in a full auto glock 17/ 18 .

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    If I bought a PSA 9mm forged dedicated lower (for Glock mags) item # 7793000, can I use the PSA 9mm ramped bolt carrier assembly (item # 144546), which they were selling a little over one year ago, in a 9mm upper 16" barrel assembly (from any manufacturer) OR must I use PSA's newer hybrid G-9 completed upper 9mm 16" barrel assembly? This latter one is where they give out the warning that the G-9 must be used with the dedicated Glock or Colt lower.
    Thanks for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom