• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • -Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    9mm is just the diameter of the round. There are a number of 9mm cartridges. 9mm Luger, also called 9mm parabellum and 9mm Nato is a 9x19mm cartridge. It is the most common 9mm caliber, but other popular ones include 9x18mm Makarov, 9x17mm Kurz(also know as .380ACP), and 9x23mm Largo just to name a few.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    9mm is just the diameter of the round. There are a number of 9mm cartridges. 9mm Luger, also called 9mm parabellum and 9mm Nato is a 9x19mm cartridge. It is the most common 9mm caliber, but other popular ones include 9x18mm Makarov, 9x17mm Kurz(also know as .380ACP), and 9x23mm Largo just to name a few.

Z28 nailed it

how can you be a gun guy for awhile without knowing the difference between 9mm Luger and 9mm Makarov. I hope you know that you can't use 9mm Luger in a 9mm Mak pistol and vice versa

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Also 9x20 Browning Long, and 9x21. :)

So 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 23 mm long cases, all in 9mm diameter.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Z was correct.
    ONLY four can be used interchangeably...
    9mm Luger, 9mm parabellum, 9mm Nato, and 9x19mm

Do NOT inter-change other rounds.

leavnalegacy

Mar 24, 2013

This^^^ . Great explanation

WatTyler

Ultimate Member
    Z28 nailed it

how can you be a gun guy for awhile without knowing the difference between 9mm Luger and 9mm Makarov. I hope you know that you can't use 9mm Luger in a 9mm Mak pistol and vice versa

Excellent (and crucial) advice on not mixing up the 9s, but I can imagine any number of reasons a "gun guy" might be asking about the differences. Like maybe being familiar with long guns and looking into buying a handgun. Or maybe having grown up around other handguns but not knowing a lot about 9mm.
    Questions are good.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    I have also seen this referred to as 9 mm Corto (in the older Berettas) or 9 mm Short

It is news to me. Always learning something.
    I had heard of Kurz, I even has a Sig that had 9 Kurz on on the side for .380 but I had never heard of Corto or 9mm Short.

Chris

oldsarge

Old & Crusty
    Jan 14, 2009
    Calvert County
    It is news to me. Always learning something.
    I had heard of Kurz, I even has a Sig that had 9 Kurz on on the side for .380 but I had never heard of Corto or 9mm Short.

Chris

My Beretta 85FS has 9 Short marked on the slide.

85FS.jpg

Mar 18, 2013
    I've always had a handgun or two in the house for home defense and I love hitting the range but I've never had to get down to specifics. I fire what the manual says the gun takes. Just recently I've decided to delve farther into things and I would rather ask those who know than guess and assume. I've got a walther p1 that is failing to feed and I wasn't sure if it was the mag or the ammo. When I looked at the ammo I had there were two different ones , Luger and ELD. The ELD is shorter and I'm hoping I didn't mess it up being that I've used both without noticing the difference.

cogcon

COGCON
    MDS Supporter
    Should be the same (9x19)...ELD (if it's the headstamp on the cartridge) stands for Eldorado Cartridge Company, the manufacturer.

Most likely a weak spring in the mag, but lots of other things (recoil springs) could also be the issue. Swap mags and try again.

49f2c2d5220aa373de362b234408aa69.jpg

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    I've got a walther p1 that is failing to feed and I wasn't sure if it was the mag or the ammo. When I looked at the ammo I had there were two different ones , Luger and ELD. The ELD is shorter and I'm hoping I didn't mess it up being that I've used both without noticing the difference.

The P1 fires 9x19 and there is some discussion on the correct ammo for this gun. These guns were made before there were +p loads, but they seem to like slightly higher loaded 9mm rounds than what is sold retail in the US for plinking ammo. Try a 124gr round.

I have never encountered 'ELD' as a 9mm description. Who is the manufacturer ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom