• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Winterborn

Moved to Texas
    Aug 19, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    I use Titegroup for .45, 9mm, and .357. It meters great, the loads are small (powder lasts) but it is rather dirty when using lead bullets.

Robert Avery

Sep 1, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Ramshot Competition is my Powder of choice for 9mm,40,and 45acp. It is not position sensitive so all of your shots will perform the same. It has less recoil as well or you could use Auto-comp as well for even softer recoil. Both of these are very clean if loaded correctly.

MAKINTRAX

Nov 7, 2008
    Harford County MD
    You can't go wrong with W231, Accurate #2 or Titegroup in those calibers. I stopped using the flake powders of Alliant (Hercules) years ago. I like the ball/spherical powders for their smooth metering. I lean towards W231 if you only have one powder. It's been used successfully for many years and burns fairly clean.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    Ramshot zip

ZIP is a clean burning, double-base propellant designed for a wide range of handgun calibers. Low charge weights make it the most economical and versatile choice for high volume shooters with the added benefit of low recoil, low flash and minimum residue. 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP are just a few of the cartridges that are well-matched with this powder.

the charge for 9mm is so small i had ot get the micro adjuster for the lee power measure. it uses very little power per charge so the powder goes a long way.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I use 231 as a basic pistol powder. But would use a slower powder in .357.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    W231/HP 38 is my all around powder for 32 S&W Long,.380,9mm Mak, 9mm Para,.38 Spec, .45ACP,.44Mag(downloads), and .45Colt . I have used Titegroup, Clays and American Select but go backto W231.
    I use WSF for .40 because it is a tad slower that 231, and have considered it for other calibers but have yet to run out of W231,
    DocAitch

There's just no "one best" powder for all loads.
    • As Doc said, W231/HP38 is great stuff for 9mm para and 9mm Mak, as well as .38 and .45ACP.
    • Unique will cover some of the faster semi-auto loads, and is another versatile powder. I use it for 7,62x25
    • Winchester WST loads a good .45 ACP round, and you can sometimes still find it when other stuff is gone because most people think of it as only being a shotgun powder. It's good for 9mm, too.

The three of these will cover a whole lot of territory when it comes to loading for handguns.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Tite-group is all I use for .45ACP currently (had a shit-ton of it).

It meters well, even thru my Lee stuff. Can be sooty at lighter loadings, but it does get much better (cleaner) when you find your "happy spot".

+1 . TG shoots clean at max load in 45 ACP and 45 LC for me.:thumbsup:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Trying to limit the powders. Can I use the same powder for multiple calibers? For handgun I'll be reloading, 9mm, 357' 45acp.

Not the best powder IMO for loading any of the three. But if I were forced to hold on to only one powder with handgun load versatility being primary, it would probably be Unique.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    I fell into a good deal on Bullseye and it does well in 9mm. For .45 ACP, I'm going to work up a load with that and see how it goes. Currently I'm trying to burn up the last of my HS-6. Stuff burns like black powder.

Last edited:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I started many years ago with Bullseye in .45 ACP. Then moved to Unique.

Now don't use either as they are very dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom