• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    So I was cleaning my pistol today and I observed some fine sand particles deep in the trigger well. I set up more clean white paper towels and did a detail strip. Unfortunately, I was distracted by the television behind me for a minute and the trigger spring launched itself out of the frame. :banghead: I finally found it after about a 20' journey with a nice dogleg down the hall...which was pretty cool after I was able to see some humor in the situation.

The down side is I am having a massive brain-fart and don't remember how to put the darn thing back together. For some reason, all the operator manuals I can find online (the good electronic ones are on another hard drive) say NOT to pull that apart. I can't imagine why...:innocent0.

What I'm hung up on is just the trigger spring. Which pin it sits on, which way it point, and what it butts in to.

At any rate, I'd appreciate any help in unf**king my 'quick but thorough turned all darn day pistol cleaning evolution'.

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Nope. Down in PG.

The only problem I have is where and how the spring sits in there. It's been quite a while since I've ripped one all the way down...which is why I was watching exactly how that sucker was coming apart...except for a second. That's the way it goes, right?

I have left it alone for a while and I'm going to have another crack at it.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    the trigger reset spring sits in the trigger around the trigger pivot pin (I assume the "upper pin" is the trigger bar pin and the "lower pin" is the trigger pivot pin in the frame)

It should sit with the left leg forward, hook end down on the frame in front of the trigger, right leg aggainst the front of the trigger bar pin, hook pointing to the rear.

this high quality schematic should help clear it up if you are still in doubt:D
    bretta.jpg

One way to get it back in is to take out the trigger and bar, push the trigger up out of the frame, insert the trigger, and line up the trigger bar pin with it's mount on the trigger, push the trigger down into the frame as you start the pin through from the left, and catch the trigger in position with the pin, then push the spring down carefully until it is the pocket in the trigger, then push the pin through the spring, and through the frame, allowing the spring to rest on the frame in the front, and trigger bar pin in the rear, IMO easier with basic tools, or lack thereof (and IIRC the "official" beretta way to do it). If you have a small right angle hook pick, then you can do it the other way, putting the pin through the trigger and spring first, then grab the leg and pull it forward with the pic as you slide the trigger bar pin in, a lot easier if you have something to grab the spring leg with.

BeltBuckle

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2008
    MoCo, MD
    there you go. when alucard's on the case, the rest of us can sit back and watch.:goodpost::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I was gonna say you could stop by and have a look at mine if you like, but he's made that unnecessary.:)

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    the trigger reset spring sits in the trigger around the trigger pivot pin (I assume the "upper pin" is the trigger bar pin and the "lower pin" is the trigger pivot pin in the frame)

It should sit with the left leg forward, hook end down on the frame in front of the trigger, right leg aggainst the front of the trigger bar pin, hook pointing to the rear.

this high quality schematic should help clear it up if you are still in doubt:D
    View attachment 13329

One way to get it back in is to take out the trigger and bar, push the trigger up out of the frame, insert the trigger, and line up the trigger bar pin with it's mount on the trigger, push the trigger down into the frame as you start the pin through from the left, and catch the trigger in position with the pin, then push the spring down carefully until it is the pocket in the trigger, then push the pin through the spring, and through the frame, allowing the spring to rest on the frame in the front, and trigger bar pin in the rear, IMO easier with basic tools, or lack thereof (and IIRC the "official" beretta way to do it). If you have a small right angle hook pick, then you can do it the other way, putting the pin through the trigger and spring first, then grab the leg and pull it forward with the pic as you slide the trigger bar pin in, a lot easier if you have something to grab the spring leg with.

...nerd

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    I appreciate it fellas. That's my kinda schematic!

Rather than using needle-nose pliers like the official maintenance manual says, I used the short side of a small allen wrench as I got tired of seeing that darn thing shoot into the air a few times.

Well, now it's on the internet forever....

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Learned your lesson!

I always draw diagrams/schematics as I go, sometimes even with a blown-up schematic in front of me if the printed image isn't clear. I also make mental notes as I go. More than once I've put a gun together, then look at the bench and there's a pin or spring chilling there... Really sucks having to tear something down half way to put in something you forgot... but I'm getting better. :D

Then again, I don't have a TV at my bench. Maybe you should invest in a DVR so you can pause during important reassembly points. :P

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Then again, I don't have a TV at my bench. Maybe you should invest in a DVR so you can pause during important reassembly points. :P

:D

It was during the 'disassembly' that I turned my head to catch a news flash and didn't isolate my head/torso turn from keeping my hands still and that sucker took flight. After an hour or two, I found the spring and got it cleaned up and then the brain-fart happened.

It had been quite a while since I ripped one of these apart down to the littlest bits.
    All my electronic manuals are on remote hard drives that are being stored at the moment...and google/yahoo/youtube/beretta's site didn't clearly break out how it went back together.

I'm personally not a big fan of things that go 'bang', missing a part and going 'boom'! "Extra" parts from a non-critical car system are kinda okay, firearms are entirely another animal.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Learned your lesson!

I always draw diagrams/schematics as I go, sometimes even with a blown-up schematic in front of me if the printed image isn't clear. I also make mental notes as I go. More than once I've put a gun together, then look at the bench and there's a pin or spring chilling there... Really sucks having to tear something down half way to put in something you forgot... but I'm getting better. :D

I still use a notebook and egg cartons to take apart something that is complicated. When I turned wrenches one of the things that was difficult to learn was how to pull an engine or trans, and hooking them back up, or worse yet rebuilding engines and transmissions where you have a ton of small parts that have to go back together in a certain order with bolts that have to go back in the same hole they came out of.

I came up with a simple short hand method, basically numbering each spot in the egg carton, and drawing simple diagrams in the notebook numbering parts to correspond to their position in the egg carton. I keep notes on how things come apart, and when I have a schematic, or exploded parts diagram this is even easier making the notes on a copy of the diagram.

one-star

Mar 9, 2009
    I still use a notebook and egg cartons to take apart something that is complicated. When I turned wrenches one of the things that was difficult to learn was how to pull an engine or trans, and hooking them back up, or worse yet rebuilding engines and transmissions where you have a ton of small parts that have to go back together in a certain order with bolts that have to go back in the same hole they came out of.

I came up with a simple short hand method, basically numbering each spot in the egg carton, and drawing simple diagrams in the notebook numbering parts to correspond to their position in the egg carton. I keep notes on how things come apart, and when I have a schematic, or exploded parts diagram this is even easier making the notes on a copy of the diagram.

There is a lot to be said about a cheap digital camera and taking pictures of each layer too....I do that every time I have to take apart a piece of electronics, that "where did the blue wire go?" deal

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    Cameras are beautiful things. My better-half went off one day about how I filled a memory card with photos of the inside of the outboard....a bright light, a bamboo skewer (pointer), and a trigger-happy shutterbug: this wire starts here (click), goes over this thingy (click), wraps up in a coil (click), attaches here (click), frayed here (click)..etc.

That's why when I realized this was going to be more than a field strip, I laid out more plain white paper towels (and commandeered the dining room table...shhhhh, she was work). Little black bits show up nicely, I can keep track of them and what they attached to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom