• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    OK, this is a serious-no-fun part of shooting. You buy ammo, you put it in a working gun and the first two shots are a complete failure.

These 2 rounds were fired in a Turkish Mauser. They were kicking stronger than expected. First one was hard to open the bolt on afterwards, primer was pushed back out, although not cratered as one would expect with a high-pressure load. Second shot blew through and a bunch of powder gasses in my face.

Now, anyone of you can tell if that is a case of trash primers or overcharged ammo?

Manufacturer is "Olympic ammunition, Greece", no recognizable batch number.
    Bought at a local store close to B'more. Store owner will be informed once they open next time.

There are still 17 more rounds to be taken care of, if someone wants to do research on causes of the blowthrough. 1 will be disected tomorrow for projectile size, weight, powder charge etc.

SKIP

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2009
    Glenwood/Glenelg
    A friend gave me about 100 rnds of that trash. Some seem to have less powder than others. Too many duds and one had no primer at all.

Last edited:

Bonanza

Dec 15, 2008
    Peoples Republik of Maryland
    I did a quickie search and couldn't find anything specific but I do remember about 4/5 years ago something going around about Olympics 5.56 ammo being "dangerous". Check around, I'll dig into it again when i get a chance. Until then shelf it at a minimum. It aint worth losing your face or a good firearm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Markmcgrrr

Latest threads

Top Bottom