• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddriver

Jan 23, 2008
    So I have an 870 rifled slug barrel.

What would happen if you shot a bunch of buck shot through it?

I only have one barrel, but I was thinking of putting an extended magazine tube on it to shoot buck shot. How would the shot spread?

So, what do you think? My guess is it would mess up the rifling.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    in my experience, ONLY Sabot's should be shot thru a rifled slug barrel.
    It won't pattern any better, or any worse for that matter. The buck shot won't harm the rifling, it will just gum it up. Lead will come off the shot and get in between the grooves. When you go to shoot a Sabots before a Really through cleaning, you will be disappointed in the accuracy.

btw, I know they are expensive but 12ga 2 3/4" sabot's will put a .45 cal hole in whatever you shoot. Finding a replacement IC smooth bore in 18 or 20" shouldn't be too difficult or expensive.
    18" bead sight, cylinder bore is $120 from Cabelas.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    in my experience, ONLY Sabot's should be shot thru a rifled slug barrel.
    It won't pattern any better, or any worse for that matter. The buck shot won't harm the rifling, it will just gum it up. Lead will come off the shot and get in between the grooves. When you go to shoot a Sabots before a Really through cleaning, you will be disappointed in the accuracy.

btw, I know they are expensive but 12ga 2 3/4" sabot's will put a .45 cal hole in whatever you shoot. Finding a replacement IC smooth bore in 18 or 20" shouldn't be too difficult or expensive.
    18" bead sight, cylinder bore is $120 from Cabelas.

Where are you getting this? All shot is in a plastic wad inside the shell. The pellets don't ever touch the inside of the barrel.

And yeah, get another barrel anyway. If you can find one with removable chokes, go for it!

Jim

toddriver

Jan 23, 2008
    What barrel would you recommend?

Length?

Choke?

I'd like a self defense type barrel and a extended magazine.

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    Where are you getting this? All shot is in a plastic wad inside the shell. The pellets don't ever touch the inside of the barrel.

And yeah, get another barrel anyway. If you can find one with removable chokes, go for it!

Jim
    Try it you'll see. Happens with rifled slugs also. Rifled barrel makers will tell you to ONLY shoot Sabot's out of a rifled barrel.

What barrel would you recommend?

Length?

Choke?

I'd like a self defense type barrel and a extended magazine.
    A Remington barrel, 18-20", no choke. A barrel made with Improved Cylinder specs is enough.

300RUM

Custom Member
    Oct 19, 2009
    North East
    It won't mess up the rifling, it won't lead the barrel(shot uses a plastic wad), however it probably will not pattern well.

I have not tried this but I hear it leaves a hole poa looks like a donut, A cheap replacement IC barrel would be my first choice

Last edited:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Cool. Thanks for that.

Now, will shooting Wolf 00 Buckshot that has no shot cup result in the lead contacting and fouling the riled bore?

only way to find out.. shoot some and report back.. ;)

i have a rifled barrel on one of my shotgun.. only shot sabot slugs through it for deer hunting.. replacing the barrel will cost over $500.. dont want to risk it.. :)

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    only way to find out.. shoot some and report back.. ;)

i have a rifled barrel on one of my shotgun.. only shot sabot slugs through it for deer hunting.. replacing the barrel will cost over $500.. dont want to risk it.. :)

Hmmm... shooting stuff IS fun.:party29:

eric_2902

Retired Army
    Jan 13, 2010
    Conowingo
    It will shoot fine just not pattern good...18-20 inch round shape spread. I tried it for shits and giggles a while back on my 870 combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    incase

Latest threads

Top Bottom