870 Express Tactical ejector spring replacement?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    A few years ago I bought a Remington 870 Express Tactical and after about a year the ejector spring broke. The extractor still pushes out the empty shells, just not as reliably without the spring to assist. I have lived with it since I called around when it happened and it seemed like every gunsmith I could find had a pretty deep wait. The shotgun tended to stay in the closet because it was annoying to shoot in that condition.

Flash forward to now, I've been playing with, building, and accessorizing my my other rifles and handguns in preparation for Oct 1 but I think I have everything to where I want it. I dug out the old 870 and figured I would try to give her my full attention. I found a video online showing how to replace it with a special tool, looks pretty easy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdA1tFQpJRo

A little more research and it looks like it would be a smart move to replace the extractor with a non-mim extractor so I threw that in the cart too. Also noticed that magpul makes furniture for the 870s now so I threw a MOE forend and rail section in the cart for an extra flashlight I have laying around. Back to the point of this thread, has anyone replaced their ejector spring like this? If so, anything in particular I should be careful of or is this a pretty straightforward job? I'm kind of excited to have a new project gun.

Also, has anyone put an AFG on a shotgun or is that a bad idea?

Ender

Jan 9, 2011
    Well that failed, river cutter worked fine but I snapped off what was left when I was peening the new spring into place. Anyone know a good gunsmith in Howard County?

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    This is the worst part of the 870. If you can center punch and drill out the rivet then you can replace it. You might also be able to clean up what is left and drive it out of the received then replace it. This is pretty much why I have Mossbergs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lloyd_Hansen

Latest threads

Top Bottom