• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    Since these are not (don't seem to be) addressed in SB281, does that mean they are still governed by previous law?

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Since these are not (don't seem to be) addressed in SB281, does that mean they are still governed by previous law?

What law are you talking about? You will not see 80%er in any law. You are talking about unfinished receivers. They are not guns so long as you don't pass a certain point. The ATF usually determines that point and raided several places making so called 80%ers and shut them down (Look up Halo and their 1919a4 sideplates).

So if you have some "near" receivers, I would think it would be the time to do a little more work on them so they qualify as a gun now! Otherwise it looks like it will be illegal to do so in MD after Oct...

ampdog

Feb 25, 2009
    I realize that 80% is not a gun, thats why it's 80%. However, currently if I purchase a piece of metal that is less than 80% in the form of a gun, I can finish it and make it into a gun and I do not have to put a serial# on it or register it as long as I keep it or unless I am going to sell it.

I am asking are firearms created this way still going to be handled this way.

CronusTRD

Creeper
    Mar 1, 2007
    A completed 80% lower is not a regulated item if manufactured for personal use, and not for sale.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    In order for something to be grandfathered it has to be in a banned configuration prior to the ban. Turn an 80 to 100 and then add an LPK and mate it to an upper prior to the ban and you are gtg. Anything less than that is asking for trouble. Even if you aren't a cautious person like me, you are still going to have that 80% be at 100% prior to One Oct. Sure the burden of proof is on the state, but since when has the law stopped them before. My freedom is too valueable to play stupid games. Because as we all know, when you play stupid games you get stupid prizes.

The law as of now is simple to follow, build your shit now. You have nearly 6 months to buy, sell, make whatever you might want. And 80% aren't much cheaper than 100%, unless your intent was to buy them later, and in that case do no pass go do not collect 200$ as you are playing the stupidest game of all.

Christ, get your DC now, and in two months buy ten lowers from PSA or Aero for 700 bucks, add another 1000 in LBK's from PSA and you have 10 banable (and thus grandfatherable weapons for 2000 dollars (assuming a 30 per lower transfer fee)).

Even if PSA and AEROS don't drop in price you are looking at 2500 for 10 lowers, that's nothing, and a far cry cheaper than the penalty for making an illegal weapon post ban.

40-Cal-Polymer

Known Gunmen
    Jan 30, 2013
    Hmmm, maybe I'm a little blind. I'm failing to see the language that points to 80% lowers being against the law to finish after the deadline. There is no language that I can see that makes these illegal even once they they are finished. I woul think this might be the best way to go, seeing as these don't require registration in any form. I'm open to corrections if I'm wrong.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Hmmm, maybe I'm a little blind. I'm failing to see the language that points to 80% lowers being against the law to finish after the deadline. There is no language that I can see that makes these illegal even once they they are finished. I woul think this might be the best way to go, seeing as these don't require registration in any form. I'm open to corrections if I'm wrong.

Yea, the whole thing falls under the "Copy Cat" thing. But yea, I don't think anywhere in this bill talks about manufacturing your own firearms. To tell you the truth, I don't even know how the state would know when you in fact finished it.

If I had a AR right now that was manufactured with a 80% receiver then how am I going to prove that it was manufactured prior to Oct. 31?

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    Yea, the whole thing falls under the "Copy Cat" thing. But yea, I don't think anywhere in this bill talks about manufacturing your own firearms. To tell you the truth, I don't even know how the state would know when you in fact finished it.

If I had a AR right now that was manufactured with a 80% receiver then how am I going to prove that it was manufactured prior to Oct. 31?

Pretty sure it's Oct 1st.

To prove it: take a photo and post it here when it's complete, or mail the photos to yourself, if you are really wanting to error on the side of caution mark the lower somehow (a scuff under the handgrip or under the endplate or in the mag well and photograph that).

I agree with what you say,but my understanding of the "law" is after 10/1 you can longer purchase,etc.If caught with an AR that was built from an 80% and not registered,you/I/we could be in some legal issues.Since manufacturing is not mentioned,but banned is,I would assume anything after 10/1 is illegal since Md. didn't know about it prior.

ObsceneJesster

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Pretty sure it's Oct 1st.

To prove it: take a photo and post it here when it's complete, or mail the photos to yourself, if you are really wanting to error on the side of caution mark the lower somehow (a scuff under the handgrip or under the endplate or in the mag well and photograph that).

I've already said I'm going to take pictures and mail them to myself through certified mail along with uploading them to multiple cloud based servers but my question was more of statement.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is why should I have to do all of this and how would the state prove otherwise.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    I've already said I'm going to take pictures and mail them to myself through certified mail along with uploading them to multiple cloud based servers but my question was more of statement.

Basically what I'm trying to get at is why should I have to do all of this and how would the state prove otherwise.

You should do all of that to cover your ass. Since when has proof of anything mattered until trial, I for one dont want capital tied up in bail.

As far as not being in the law, there is that tiny little blurb about posession of a copy of a Colt AR-15 irregardless of manufacture that you didn't posess or have an order form for prior to Oct 1. Since a 80% lower isn't regulated, you have to put it into a banable configuration prior to the ban or it must forever remain a paper weight.

I know you broached 80% build parties post ban before OJ, and seemingly you and the OP intend to complete lowers after the ban. I urge you to rethink that plan of action and do whatever you want to do now while it's legal instead of planning ways to do questionable things post ban.

boatbod

Ultimate Member
    Nov 30, 2007
    Talbot Co

The enrolled version of the bill says you can't transfer or purchase after 10/1, but it doesn't appear to say you can't manufacture or possess. Seems like a grey area that a DA would have to work quite hard to successfully prosecute.

phx223

Member at Large
    Feb 15, 2010
    West of MD, East of CA
    The enrolled version of the bill says you can't transfer or purchase after 10/1, but it doesn't appear to say you can't manufacture or possess. Seems like a grey area that a DA would have to work quite hard to successfully prosecute.

It does say possess. Page 1, line 10. The exception being possession or purchase of an assult weapon prior to oct 1Page 14, line 9 explains that exception.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom