• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Their own FAQ on the Brady law, in particular Question #57 (the first example is almost exactly a description of the situation in our "Free" state). IANAL, but I would guess that any lawyer defending an FFL would bring that to the table.

Seems pretty clear to me too. From the site referenced above:

The licensee must comply with both State and Federal requirements.

Example: State D is acting as a POC for NICS checks. State law requires a background check prior to the transfer of any firearm. State law also requires the licensee to wait 10 days to get a response from the State. The licensee must contact the State POC for a NICS check and a State background check. The licensee must comply with both Federal and State law by waiting 10 days for a response prior to transferring the firearm. If the licensee has not received a response from the State after 10 days, he or she may transfer the firearm.

scottp999

Feb 11, 2008
    The defendant's motion to dismiss (MTD.pdf) makes it quite clear it's ok to release after 7 day wait:

"In this case no actual controversy exists. Defendants agree with Plaintiffs that, in the absence of receiving a disapproval from MSP, seller, lessors, and transferors may lawfully complete the transactions involving regulated firearms after the conclusion of the 7 day waiting period provided they have complied with all other requirements of the Public Safety Article and provided they do not know or have reason to believe the purchaser or transferee is disqualified from owning a regulated firearm. See PS 5-123(a), 5-134(b), COMAR 29.03.01.10. Defendents further agree with Plaintiffs that such sellers, lessors, and transforers would not be subject to imposition of any civil or criminal sanctions by the MSP as a result of making such transfers after the seven day waiting period, even if the application is later disapproved."

Hand typed from the pdf. (attached)

Attachments

• MTD.pdf
      288.8 KB · Views: 182
    The defendant's motion to dismiss (MTD.pdf) makes it quite clear it's ok to release after 7 day wait:

"In this case no actual controversy exists. Defendants agree with Plaintiffs that, in the absence of receiving a disapproval from MSP, seller, lessors, and transferors may lawfully complete the transactions involving regulated firearms after the conclusion of the 7 day waiting period provided they have complied with all other requirements of the Public Safety Article and provided they do not know or have reason to believe the purchaser or transferee is disqualified from owning a regulated firearm. See PS 5-123(a), 5-134(b), COMAR 29.03.01.10. Defendents further agree with Plaintiffs that such sellers, lessors, and transforers would not be subject to imposition of any civil or criminal sanctions by the MSP as a result of making such transfers after the seven day waiting period, even if the application is later disapproved."

Hand typed from the pdf. (attached)

Sounds like a winner to me!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup: Suck it OweMalley. Can't wait to see what they try next. Now if I could just get my DC letter I could really have some fun.

I do have a question maybe someone could help me with. What about those of us (and I'm sure there are many) who waited a little more than 30 days in between actually laying out the money for a regulated firearm during all this mess thinking we would have plenty of time in between to wait and now the floodgates may open? I picked one up from an 8 day release FFL on 6/12 that had been there for a month and have another one at an FFL that would not release but, it's been there since end of April. If this FFL suddenly starts to release before I get my DC letter (sent beginning of May) couldn't that be a problem for me and I'm assuming quite a few others? I have yet to see in the law where "purchase" is actually defined as taking possession after the background check. I actually waited more than a month to BUY the gun and have the receipts to prove it. Anybody chime in on this one? :innocent0

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    *still not clear on the 30 days*

Like I said.. ive heard as long as u dont possess them within 30 days of each other u r fine

And

Ive heard u must wait 30days after you have received a Not Disaproved (which would be 130 days between purchases)

l730dc

Mar 6, 2013
    Kent Island, MD
    You can buy as many guns as you want, you can only take one home every 30 days.

So if I do a final pickup.. and then the next day put in paperwork for another (and wait 30+ days to pickup, which it would likely be more) do I check that I have bought a regulated within the last 30 days? Because it would be lying if I checked no.. will that get me disapproved?

I have my dc paperwork sent.. but I have a gut feeling somehow they will lose it or not send it back b4 oct1

CarlosM

Mar 12, 2013
    So if I do a final pickup.. and then the next day put in paperwork for another (and wait 30+ days to pickup, which it would likely be more) do I check that I have bought a regulated within the last 30 days? Because it would be lying if I checked no.. will that get me disapproved?

I have my dc paperwork sent.. but I have a gut feeling somehow they will lose it or not send it back b4 oct1

You would say yes. If your paperwork comes back in less than 30 (yeah right) they'll instruct the FFL to hold til day 30.

Meatasaur

Feb 21, 2013
    Just did a quick check to see if any IP's responded to this thread and did not see a one (I just looked along the left for the IP banner). Where are the IP comments? I saw a few weeks ago FreeState (among a few others) discussing how they would not follow 8th day release. Does this change anything?

Independence

long member
    Jul 16, 2008
    Nottingham
    Just did a quick check to see if any IP's responded to this thread and did not see a one (I just looked along the left for the IP banner). Where are the IP comments? I saw a few weeks ago FreeState (among a few others) discussing how they would not follow 8th day release. Does this change anything?

They may be busy working the backlog.

railbird

Mar 13, 2013
    Harford County
    Sorry but I don't see this as a win either.

Maryland restating the obvious doesn't accomplish much.

I have 3 regulated purchases held by non-releasing FFL's who have long known the law. Maryland restating it is not going to make them change their minds.

A lot of first time buyers are going to Bass Pro and Gander Mountain. You really think stores like that are going to risk the bad press of "releasing guns without background checks"?

While a point may have been proven, no practical relief will come from it. Maryland only has to drag its feet for 90 more days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom