• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    My son was there today also. He said he was also in the1st group of Shooters. Bald, heavy set short guy.
    Said he was satisfied with how Brian and Stephanie ran the class.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Uh, it was a gun class, there were a lot of bald fat guys there. Me included. If you are in Monkton, I may have been taking to him during the downtime.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Good on you scotty for helping folks become better shooters! Missing in real life could land one in court, jail or 6 feet under...
    IMHO, the worse is shooting the wrong person (which I guess is the court/jail part). I'd personally feel way worse that I shot an innocent bystander than the fact that I am in court/jail and possibly ruined my life.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Well because every one loved to attack me, please read what I wrote.

Please note I did not say they can't I said the before they should, I said they need practice/lessons. I also said I have taught a lot or people to shoot, and none have ever had a problem keeping all their shots on target with in an hour.

People can get all high and mighty, but I have taught at least 30-40 people to shoot, and never charged a dime beyond ammo. How many here have spent 80 hours helping others to be better shooters and gotten nothing out of it.

I do think everyone should get practice/lessons to be at least minimally proficient before they carry. If you are able to keep 70% on target, then you are minimally proficient already. If your not give me a message and we will get you there.
    They should be minimally proficient as you say but I'd put their overall judgement higher than proficiency. Even if someone is a "bad shot" if they know when and when not to draw they save themselves from what could be a really really bad day.
    Brandishing isn't the same as lethal force but can accomplish your goal (you out or away from danger) without loss of life or injury.

outrider58

Cold Damp Spaces
    MDS Supporter

Please note I did not say they can't I said the before they should, I said they need practice/lessons. I also said I have taught a lot or people to shoot, and none have ever had a problem keeping all their shots on target with in an hour.

People can get all high and mighty, but I have taught at least 30-40 people to shoot, and never charged a dime beyond ammo. How many here have spent 80 hours helping others to be better shooters and gotten nothing out of it.

I do think everyone should get practice/lessons to be at least minimally proficient before they carry. If you are able to keep 70% on target, then you are minimally proficient already. If your not give me a message and we will get you there.
    I think the problem people have with this is, no one should have to prove proficiency. I can carry concealed in 33 states and I didn't have to prove proficiency in any.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012

I have been a certified instructor for more than 40 years and teaching shooting for even longer, I have always done it on a volunteer basis never paid, often I also supplied the ammo, I have taught many hundreds of people certainly over a thousand (I wish I had started a running log when I started).

I believe in training and recommend it to everyone even the very experienced, they already know they can always learn more. However, no RIGHT should be preconditioned, no civics test to vote, no minimum education to speak your mind, no basic religious precepts test to practice your religion, etc. and no RIGHT should require a permit from the state.

I hope every person who exercises their RIGHTS will also realize the need for proficiency no matter how they attain it through classes or practice or any other method. I also hope they will realize their own limitations and only act within their abilities. But the RIGHT is given by God not man and should only be restricted by the grantor. Yes, I know there are sensitive places and prohibited persons but to the greatest extent possible, infringements on any RIGHT should be as minimal as possible.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    IMHO, the worse is shooting the wrong person (which I guess is the court/jail part). I'd personally feel way worse that I shot an innocent bystander than the fact that I am in court/jail and possibly ruined my life.
    "Nothing wrong with shooting, as long as the right people get shot."
    ~Harry Calahan

Ulfson

Aug 5, 2018
    Aberdeen, MD.
    25+ states disagree your your antigun opinion and require nothing to carry.
    Good point.
    Something about: "It's not about infringing it's about being responsible" rubbed me the wrong way. Rather in the manner of the: "good and substantial" verbiage. That too was cast as being responsible and reasonable despite abrogating peoples' right to carry a firearm for self-defense.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    My main concern right now is my shoulder with my primary stance I have my legs shoulder width apart with my left foot slightly forward, so due to that my right arm has a little more cross body tension and that irritates my right shoulder which is making its way back from being frozen. I pretty sure I can get the accuracy just not to my standards.

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    My main concern right now is my shoulder with my primary stance I have my legs shoulder width apart with my left foot slightly forward, so due to that my right arm has a little more cross body tension and that irritates my right shoulder which is making its way back from being frozen. I pretty sure I can get the accuracy just not to my standards.

In the context of close range self defense shooting, what are your standards?

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Model 29 is on my list for a seasonal carry weapon.

Why? Because I can
    I can see the headlines now. Man legally carrying a Dirty Harry gun 44mag, then most powerful handgun in the world and can blow your head clean off, arrested because of it. He felt lucky.

Actually, he carried a 41 mag in a lot of the movie.

Burt Hammersmith

Dumpster Fire
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 20, 2015
    I can see the headlines now. Man legally carrying a Dirty Harry gun 44mag, then most powerful handgun in the world and can blow your head clean off, arrested because of it. He felt lucky.

Actually, he carried a 41 mag in a lot of the movie.

Classic!

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I'm taking an NRA course and the instructor is requiring us to draw from a holster instead of shooting from low ready. We need to bring a mag holder too for the reload.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    In the context of close range self defense shooting, what are your standards?
    fist size groupings. My last range trip I was about pumpkin size but my shoulder is better than it was then. But still has spasms, pain, and lack of strength in certain positions.

Sloopjonb

Feb 5, 2016
    Normal daytime lighting, any indoor or outdoor range.

Depending on the instructor, you may qualify with a .22 lr handgun, or any other pistol of your choosing. Many instructors loan you the handgun and provide the ammo, included in the overall price.
    Wow here in Tennessee its 50 shots and 380 and up no 22's. Think I scored 88 with a 9mm High Point which shooting that in 95 deg heat is hard to hold on to when your hand is sweating. The HP was all I could afford back then but its never failed yet and is a bedside gun not a carry. Being 76 the good old EZ's are now my fav.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    I have an eye issue. I wear trifocals and the top of the glasses is the long distance. Out of that my dom eye ( right) doesn't see clear until well past the range of sights. I can see the sights fine in the middle range, but the target past 3 yards is blurry. I haven't done any shooting in a while other than fox dispatch with a .22 last jan. I don't remember if the sights were a problem then, but I hit the foxes in the right spot, but it was from maybe 6 feet away and I may have used the mid range lense. I had a retinal detachment in the left eye feb 2021. It is healed and fine and I don't have the awful floaters in that eye anymore. Still have in right eye. I got a drivers lisc renewed last sept and passed their exam. I can still drive fine in daylight. But they had me use right eye for distance, and left for closer up. The distance part was in the good range. That eye is about 20/25 with correction.

I guess I will have to see if I can shoot a pistol OK first. All shots on an 8" plate or something, and see how far back I can go. Considering self defense shootings often involve point shooting at close range, I would be fine there. But the requirement for the class involves further, soooo...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ramseye

Latest threads

Top Bottom