• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cordite

Mar 28, 2009
    Timoniumland
    I am intending to buy a black powder cartridge gun, a repro 1873 Colt SAA, and a repro Colt 1851 Navy, a percussion pistol ( I know you know that, I'm just saying). Will I still have to wait to pick them up or are they a cash and carry gun? I don't think my C&R will help as they are not actually 50 years old.

Thankee.

JSW

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2008
    Bryansville, Pa.
    the 1851 you can pick up any time or even have shipped directly to your door. On the other hand that 1873 has modern cartridges for it so you will have to wait like all other marylanders. that will give you time to find the ammo for it.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I got a feeling you are going to get hooked on the 1851 Navy. Ibought one and my Civil Ware era pistol collection grew.

A friend of mine is trying to get me hooked on a St Louis Hawken!

Cordite

Mar 28, 2009
    Timoniumland
    Bingo!! I just ordered an 1851 Navy with the oval trigger guard from Cimarron. Plus, if I fax them my C&R they'll give me dealer price!! I think I'm going to get their original finish, which looks like the piece is old. Now I gotta get some caps somewhere.

Anybody ever buy a conversion barrel for these guns?

Mcbruzdzinski, I started out my black powder "career" with a Lyman Great Plains flintlock. That started quite a love affair. I have that one, a .50 custom flintlock and a 20 gauge flintlock smoothbore. This pistol will be my first venture into percussion, except for a Zoave I had for a while. Are you looking at the percussion Hawken, then? Have you checked the Hawken Shop? Have fun.

Last edited:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    some walmarts sell the caps and most of the other stuff except black powder.

i know the walmart in waldorf does.

you will love the navy, they take a lunar cycle to reload and are a lot of work to clean, but they are just so cool and fun to shoot, i love my 1851 navy, it feels right in my hand and points very naturally.

you dont need a conversion barrel, its the cylinders that you need, there are various options, to do it right though in my opinion you gotta go with the kirst converter with a modified loading gate and the ejector rod assembly.

i would love to get a second 1851 navy to do a conversion, i want to keep my current one as it is.

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/index.html

Cordite

Mar 28, 2009
    Timoniumland
    That what I meant to type, conversion cylinder.:sad20: It arrived, it's really neat and I'll shoot it this weekend. Now I have to get a holster. It's a pretty long piece of work and it's a tall drink to pour. I am thinking of trying a cross draw leather holsetr. Anybody ever use one? Feels better and is easier to draw.

Oh, yeah. I am definitely going to check out the kirst conversion. But I kind of like the Remington, too, and then there's the Peacemaker I want and . . .it never ends:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom