• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    What I'm about to say will be pure blasphemy to some of you, and probably shock a few that know me.

I do not own a single 7.62x39mm bullet, much less a rifle in this caliber.

Yes, I know, it's probably the most prolific caliber of all time, even our beloved .22LR is probably out numbered by all the Russian, Chinese and other armies of the world that have been using this round since WWII. The fact that Russia has gone to the 5.45x39mm in their newer AK74 isn't lost on me either. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7.62×39mm
    So I'm thinking what kind of a sports shooter can call himself/herself such and not own something in 7.62x39mm?

So I ask you, if you could own only one 'example' in this caliber, which would it be? Ideally, I'd like it to be modern and practical for self defense, fun to shoot and train with, have some cool history/story, and some degree of collectibility, but like every other gun I've ever seen, you can't have it all. :)

Hope I didn't upset anyone too much with my confession, I 'grew up' with M16 and variants, and when I was ready to step up in caliber, I found the 7.62x51mm more to my liking. Something about saying 'NATO standard' I guess. :)

One last silly question, is there a rifle that will shoot any other caliber and properly fire the 7.62x39 ? Even an insert for the 7.62x51 would be interesting, no?

Oh, I thought to create this thread because recently I was showing the difference between bullet sizes and realized I didn't have a 7.62x39mm specimen. I also read this article about the Marines and Army considering new rifles. http://www.military.com/news/articl...armys-lead-on-new-carbine.html?ESRC=army-a.nl

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    A few years ago, I would have said C&R for SKS. Not now. Too much $ and for a little more get a new Saiga.
    I REALLY want a Mini 30. I love garand style action and Mini 14's.
    I don't know about other conversion or cross over calibers.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I would go for the iconic AK. You can go tacticool, classic, modern, sporter...anything! I heard Russia is switching back to the 7.62x39 but I'm not sure. there are AKs to be had at great prices. Guys who can tell you far more than me are comblic, FPS, nemesis and clandestine. Sorry if I missed the other gurus! These are the guys I go to for AK questions.

wagtail

Oct 13, 2010
    Garrett county.Md
    A month ago I bought a Arsenal AK-74.Very happy with the product.Ammo is Cheap!
    Military Shooters has 5.45/39. N/C Military is 750 rounds for $135.00 + shipping.Just got my third case. Also military surplus is even less!!Fun to shoot, slight recoil, but loud.You are holding a bit of history in your hands.When I go to the range I take a Colt Hbar, '74,and a PS-90
    Many choices in the market place for AK-47,and '74's.There is a chap who lives in N.Va who really knows AK's. Hope he see's your post and replies. Take your time,this is one product that
    you only buy once.
    Wagtail.

Jarhead FLSTI

Aug 31, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I started my 7.62x39 collection with an SKS. Then I got into AKs for a while but don't really like them (more of a personal thing, not to bash AKs). I still have a cheap WASR but I do like the SKS more. I have 3 now, Yugo, a Norinco and a Norinco paratrooper. Last year I got what I personally consider the best combo of SKS and AK... it's the VZ58. They're pricey compared to most SKSs and AKs but shoot awesome.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I'm a big fan of the SKS.
    Politics aside it's a great gun, accurate, affordable, reliable, easy to take apart and clean, and the bayonet would be great for zombies:party29:.
    I've also seen 20 rd attached magazines available for them so you can load 2 stripper clips at once and of course there are detachable hi cap magazines out there too(some good some not so good). I think you just can't go wrong with an SKS but I will say a Mini 30 or VZ58 sounds very tempting.
    AK's are of course the main gun in this caliber and I don't have anything bad to say about them other than their accuracy can suck.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Save up and get a norincos pre ban, you can score one for 700 to 800 and they are well worth it. Highly underestimated ak and one that will have some residual value in the long haul.

7.62 x 39 is a great round. One of my favorites to play with, low recoil, good hit, inexpensive, just starting to work on reloads for it.

Someday I will take pictures of my ak caliber arsenal for you guys ska, ask, bolt guns, ars.

Only thing I want now is a polytech double folder

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Czechpoint Vz58, VEPR, or possibly a Valmet M76 (if you can somehow find one in 7.62x39). If those are too rich for your blood, a converted Saiga works nicely, too.

Now, time for a personal opinion: you need to decide whether you love 7.62x39, or just love the idea of having an AK. Because, if it's just having an AK you're after, you can get a wide variety of reliable AK-action firearms in .223. (Example: I'm building a Galil SAR with AR-15 mag adapter because I wanted an AK, but didn't want to add another caliber or mag type to my collection.)

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    I would vote AK-47. SKS's have gone up in price lately. Might as well spend a little more and get an AK, even if it is just a WASR. Century's QC seems to have inproved and it seems their newer models are decent. Personally I never have had any trouble with their older models either.

Ammo is cheap in 7.62x39 and AK magazines can be had cheap also. Easy to work on and clean. Only real problem is mounting optics if you are big into that. There are options for optics but just more difficult to find and install than on an AR.

Sirex