• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Perhaps - but the SKS is heavy. The mini-14 is light and handy to hold. But I will admit I have never shot either.
    It's a shame that the Chinese import ban is still in effect, because the SKS-M paratroopers sans bayonet were really very handy guns. Still a bit heavier than a Mini-30 in wood, but the balance is quite a lot better than a standard SKS, and taking AK mags is awesome. (Where is the Mini-15 and Mini-47, Ruger?)

The PTR-32 may be heavy - but it is a VERY cool rifle. I freaking love my PTR-91. Someone be the guinea pig and find out if the PTR-32 is legal.
    I think the general assumption is that the PTR-32 is legal because, at a minimum, the mag catch mechanism is different, nevermind that you can't use 7.62x39 parts in any of the other banned HK rifles (wrong caliber!).

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    You can always get the barrel swapped out if you so desired.

I couldn't find the post I was looking for regarding the barrels and how they were pressed into the receivers but found this;
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3312859&postcount=8

I have been considering getting a VZ58 barrel but wonder if it's worth the hassle. I already have the 2008 and not enough $$ for the real VZ58. I 2008 has a .308 non chromed bore, so longevity is the question, but I still doubt I will wear it out.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Just to add, there is a very nice little Paratrooper SKS at Maryland Quartermaster on consignment that belongs to a member here. :innocent0

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Just to add, there is a very nice little Paratrooper SKS at Maryland Quartermaster on consignment that belongs to a member here. :innocent0

The paratrooper is my favorite SKS to shoot. May not have the military pedigree of the Russian, Yugo, or Sino-Soviet ones, but it is more practical and fun.

Feb 28, 2013
    I couldn't find the post I was looking for regarding the barrels and how they were pressed into the receivers but found this;
    http://www.mdshooters.com/showpost.php?p=3312859&postcount=8

I have been considering getting a VZ58 barrel but wonder if it's worth the hassle. I already have the 2008 and not enough $$ for the real VZ58. I 2008 has a .308 non chromed bore, so longevity is the question, but I still doubt I will wear it out.

I don't think so either.

But if you do decide to go through with that, go all the way, and swap the FSB's too so you get the bayo lug.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I don't think I will change the barrel. Why mess with success. It was extremely accurate today. Made me smile thru the cold.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If it shoots at least as well as Czech military issue, I would have no complaints.:thumbsup:

Don't know, but it shoots better than my Saiga and Chinese SKS. Have to have a shoot off with my Yugo SKS for accuracy though. It "may" beat it. Don't know how it does vs a Czech VZ58, as I couldn't afford one.

lsw

לא לדרוך עליי
    Sep 2, 2013
    My experience too, my vz2008 is more accurate than my SKS. They really are just great little rifles.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    This seems to be the right place to ask this question:
    Has anyone had any experience with "suppressing" an AK or a variant like the Century Arms C39? The reason I'm asking is that I've been told that the AK is notorious for causing baffle strikes on the suppressor and that could get expensive.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    This seems to be the right place to ask this question:
    Has anyone had any experience with "suppressing" an AK or a variant like the Century Arms C39? The reason I'm asking is that I've been told that the AK is notorious for causing baffle strikes on the suppressor and that could get expensive.

That's due to the quality of the product - threads aren't concentric to the bore and that causes the baffle strike. It can happen to any rifle on any platform, but AKs are notorious for it due to their construction quality/QC of mass produced Combloc era goods. Concentricity is you want to check before you dump a can on it.

Aside from that, the AK action itself is rather loud as well. You'll note that Spetsnaz running suppressed AKs actually tape the upper receiver shut to limit gas expulsion out of that area.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    That's due to the quality of the product - threads aren't concentric to the bore and that causes the baffle strike. It can happen to any rifle on any platform, but AKs are notorious for it due to their construction quality/QC of mass produced Combloc era goods. Concentricity is you want to check before you dump a can on it.

Aside from that, the AK action itself is rather loud as well. You'll note that Spetsnaz running suppressed AKs actually tape the upper receiver shut to limit gas expulsion out of that area.

Thanks. I wonder if the US-made C39 is any better?

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Depends on how you view the American AK manufacturers. The rest of the world's been making them a LOT longer and Americans are new to the game; some are quality, some are not. I haven't the experience to tell you, though I know Andy and Carlos at Engage have plenty of experience with AKs AND with suppressing them.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    Depends on how you view the American AK manufacturers. The rest of the world's been making them a LOT longer and Americans are new to the game; some are quality, some are not. I haven't the experience to tell you, though I know Andy and Carlos at Engage have plenty of experience with AKs AND with suppressing them.

Appreciate the advice. I'll check with EA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dracula

Latest threads

Top Bottom